AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yamaha Z9 reciever and just picked up a DVD-S2500. They both have the I-Link connection. What is the value of using I-Link? Is it superior or offer any benefit over optical?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
iLink lets you play hirez formats (SACD, DVD-Audio) using a digital connection.

Usually SACDs and DVD-A require the mutlichannel analog outputs

one cable, as opposed to 6 analog interconnects

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
you can't send SACD/DVD-Audio over coax/optical so theres really no comparison between the iLink and optical. I think CD audio (stereo PCM) played over iLink and over optical would sound the same.

as for the differences between the multichannel analog and the iLink, if you send it over analog, the signal would have gone through a D/A conversion in the player, then it would undergo an A/D conversion in the receiver so that it can apply bass management and time alignment, then another D/A conversion in the end before being amplified.

The iLink connection only involves the single D/A conversion stage at the end.

you'll have to ask the OP if iLink is better than analog - or more importantly, which connection he prefers - regardless of the theoretical superiority of the iLink.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I use my system 99% for HT use. So i guess there would be no big advantage for my use.

·
Registered
120 Posts
ILink's claim to fame is the ability to add no jitter in the system. Now, that is not to say that there is jitter in the signal, just that the ILink transmission is designed to not add anymore jitter. Compared to optical, it is a superior transmission method, whether you can subjectively hear that difference, well......?

If you have the option to use Ilink, by all means use the connection.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
If you have it you might as well use it. I have both, like you(Z9 and S2500). At the very least you get all your audio thru one wire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.