AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in a fairly large 900 sq ft one bedroom luxury apartment w vaulted ceilings. There are 3 other units in my building but I believe the one directly below me is unoccupied. The units all have their own entrance with no shared hallways or anything. I have rarely heard anyone's TV or music even when they were all occupied.

I just bought this Klipsch 5.1 setup-

I got the R-26F's, R-14M's, R-25C, and R-10SW

How loud can I go? Will they just hear the sub? Lastly, is there anything I can do to contain the sound?

·
Registered
9 Posts
they will definitely hear the sub so I wouldn't play it too loud and definitely not use it once it gets late.

obviously sound proofing is a good way to contain sound but don't think it makes sense to do in an apartment.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Taking the sub off the floor won't help.

Whether or not the neighbors will hear is a function of your building construction, how loud you play, and how good their hearing is. So no one can answer your question with the information you provided.

My advice is if you really want a home theater, move to a detached house.

·
Registered
332 Posts
May be able to hear but you should be ok unless very cranky neighbors. I've had some sort of surround sound in multiple apartments including now and I have had few complaints. On the other hand one of my friends was complained to every day for running his htib tiny "sub" at its lowest setting.

Turn the sub down a couple db after calibrating your receiver. Keep it turned off after 10pm if watching stuff with lots of bass. Just use common sense and hope for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
642 Posts
best thing you can do? invite all neighbors over for a movie night and make friends with them and find out when they all work. that is what i did when i lived in southern california in some luxury condos.

second best thing you can do as it looks like in that picture of what you bought that it came with rf-62ii rc-52ii and rb-61ii's. get rid of that rc-52ii and upgrade to the rc-62ii. the rc-52ii is a joke and its a shame best buy is selling them packaged together that way. the 62ii is what matches those towers and in my opinion the only one that should ever be sold with it unless you just can't fit it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
May be able to hear but you should be ok unless very cranky neighbors. I've had some sort of surround sound in multiple apartments including now and I have had few complaints. On the other hand one of my friends was complained to every day for running his htib tiny "sub" at its lowest setting.

Turn the sub down a couple db after calibrating your receiver. Keep it turned off after 10pm if watching stuff with lots of bass. Just use common sense and hope for the best.

How do I calibrate my receiver for all the speakers, can't I just plug them in and put it on 5.1?

·
Registered
332 Posts
How do I calibrate my receiver for all the speakers, can't I just plug them in and put it on 5.1?

What receiver do you have? Most of them have some sort of auto calibration that sets distance and level and room correction.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Here are my experiences after ten years of apartment/condo/duplex dwelling. Inviting neighbors over to hear your awesome system to promote peace is a fantasy which only comes to mind on most audio forums. Most apartment dwellers could care less about audio let alone high class audio.

All they are going to hear is the lowend of your system vibrating through the walls, pipes, etc. Many people will find this extremely annoying. Teens and college kids don't seem to care much but they are not the majority. Old people and young couples with kids are the norm and they both are apt to complain against almost any dedicated audio system.

Living in an upstairs apt is a huge NO for any audio system or weightlifing equipment. I've done both for years and got countless complaints when I lived above anyone. I thought moving to ground floor only apartments would save me but it did not. People would stomp the floors above me whenever my sub was on. And this was with HTIB systems.

People are very intolerant to music/HT systems and will report them with no problem. Meanwhile many of these same people have kids who run all over the place and dogs who bark and run all over the place along with crapping everwhere. Yet no one bats an eye against families who make noise from the two aformentioned sources.

So I've gotten to the point where I just don't give a rat's ass within reason. Most leases clearly state unruly noise from children, dogs, AND music will not be tolerated. But everyone forgets about the first two and concentrate on the third. I only rent groundfloor units now. Also, I make sure all of my equipment is very efficient with preferably large drivers/boxes.

I do this because HTIB and cheapy surround sound systems are what always got me into trouble in the past. Because you can't hear the dialogue on them until you crank the volume a bit, and by that time the bass and dynamics are too much for your neighbors to deal with.

With large, efficient speakers like my cinema speakers I have clear and concise dialogue and dynamics at very low volume levels. So in actuality things are the reverse of what people think. Those cute little speakers with zero dynamics/dialogue intelligibility at low volume levels are what get you into trouble in apartments while the large efficient designs give you everything you need at extremely low volume levels.

On a side note, a subwoofer will never be welcomed in any apartment with neighbors present. So I run my speakers full range with no sub or with a 40hz-50hz crossover with no sub when my neighbors are at home. Many receivers have late night mode which helps tame peaks when it comes to bass at night however it compresses the highs as well.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
best thing you can do? invite all neighbors over for a movie night and make friends with them and find out when they all work. that is what i did when i lived in southern california in some luxury condos.

second best thing you can do as it looks like in that picture of what you bought that it came with rf-62ii rc-52ii and rb-61ii's. get rid of that rc-52ii and upgrade to the rc-62ii. the rc-52ii is a joke and its a shame best buy is selling them packaged together that way. the 62ii is what matches those towers and in my opinion the only one that should ever be sold with it unless you just can't fit it.
I posted the wrong set. I got the R-26F's, R-14M's, R-25C, and R-10SW. Please don't tell me those are even worse.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
They will definitely hear it - does the room where the HT will be setup share any walls with your neighbours? This would be the main concern where sound/vibrations will travel through. In my townhouse, my upstairs neighbour has complained once - the ones beside and behind me never have, which I don't think is too bad over 7+ years. For movies known to play quite loud, I don't go past -14Mv (unless I know my neighbors are out)... it was when I was watching TDKR at -8Mv with the sub running +3dB hot when I got my single complaint, so I have dialed it back a bit since then .

·
Registered
69 Posts
I pushed the envelope last Friday night and got a talking to.
NIN on Blu-ray. Was REAALLLY pushing it, and now I have to figure where my limit is without pi$$%# them off again.

But boy, did it sound and feel good!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I put a subwoofer isolation pad under my sub to prevent vibrations from travelling and waking up the rest of the house at night. You can buy one or do what I did and a piece of foam under it and it should help a bit.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I posted the wrong set. I got the R-26F's, R-14M's, R-25C, and R-10SW. Please don't tell me those are even worse.
thats the bottom of the line set and i wouldn't take them for free:(

may i ask how much you paid and if its too late to take em back? best buy is really good at taking advantage of people.

EDIT: please don't take my comment as being rude but i LOVE klipsch speakers, and i HATE best buy. i don't even like that klipsch sells that line for best buy because they are the ones most people hear and they instantly think klipsch speakers are crap when those are a very poor misrepresentation of what klipsch speakers really sound like.

if you could take them back and get a full refund you could get much better speakers by hunting down the left over reference gen ii stuff. some rf-62ii, a rc-62ii and some rs-42ii or 52ii would SMOKE them. and i know you live in an apartment but that doesn't mean you should have good sound at low levels. and if your gonna buy a sub i would go with something like a svs, hsu, or psa. but if you were gonna stick with klipsch i would get the r-112sw or r-115sw

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thats the bottom of the line set and i wouldn't take them for free:(

may i ask how much you paid and if its too late to take em back? best buy is really good at taking advantage of people.

EDIT: please don't take my comment as being rude but i LOVE klipsch speakers, and i HATE best buy. i don't even like that klipsch sells that line for best buy because they are the ones most people hear and they instantly think klipsch speakers are crap when those are a very poor misrepresentation of what klipsch speakers really sound like.

if you could take them back and get a full refund you could get much better speakers by hunting down the left over reference gen ii stuff. some rf-62ii, a rc-62ii and some rs-42ii or 52ii would SMOKE them. and i know you live in an apartment but that doesn't mean you should have good sound at low levels. and if your gonna buy a sub i would go with something like a svs, hsu, or psa. but if you were gonna stick with klipsch i would get the r-112sw or r-115sw
Wtf. I paid $600, they retail for $1600. How bad can they be? How am I gonna track down the old reference? I want to use my discount.

·
Registered
476 Posts
They will hear it no doubt about it. My suggestion is to not have a subwoofer at all. In your AVR just tell it that you have a subwoofer and set the crossover to say 80hz. You will lose any sound content below 80Hz since you cut it off, but the bass shouldn't be bothersome to anyone. Also, I would purchase a really good pair of over the ear headphones that you can plug into your AVR to watch movies/tv music etc. I did this in college and it worked out perfectly. My wife, who was my girlfriend in college, was able to sleep and I could watch or game at night if I wanted to and it as great. I still use headphones much more than my actual speakers now that were living with the in laws saving for a house. It sucks, but it really is better than nothing at all.

I know it really sucks, but you have to be as considerate as possible if your in an apartment. Renting a duplex would be better. I did this when I was in florida. just my house and the neighbors and that was it and the bedroom where I had my theater/gaming room where on opposite sides so no walls were directly shared with my theater room. It worked out great. Only 1 complaint for a year and a half. Pacific Rim with an SVS sub. t was either my PB-2000 or the PB 13 Ultra I tried out; I cant remember which.

Move out to a detached place if you want to play your stuff loud. It really is the only way to do it. I refuse to move to buy a home that is not a single family home. I want to play my movies and do anything else I feel like doing without worrying about people complaining. After going through college with roommates, noise etc I'm done with all of it. Give me 2 acres with my house smack dab in the middle and I'll be good hahah Don't even get me started on how annoying kids and dogs can be hahah. Good luck

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I wouldn't be discouraged about what you bought. Yes, the Best Buy Reference line is a step below the Ref II gear (it used to be called the Icon series), but if this is your first "real" home theater I doubt you'll be disappointed. The comparable Ref II setup to what you bought would be about $1200, even with the closeout sales. A great price for what you get, but double what you paid for these.

Regarding your neighbors, yes they will hear it. When I lived in an apartment years ago, I couldn't play my HT at moderate volume for more than 5 minutes before getting a knock on the door. It's the primary reason I bought my first house.

·
Registered
19,809 Posts
Wtf. I paid $600, they retail for $1600. How bad can they be? How am I gonna track down the old reference? I want to use my discount.
You did fine for that price - it is about what will float your boat, and work for you.

You will always get mixed opinions on Klipsch - you do not need approval from us.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.