AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sat through the whole three fricking hours of Two Towers.

Not even once did my mind wander to the "picture". It stayed with the movie from the beginning to the end. I don't think that's ever happened before. Not with my CRT projector. Not with my DILA's. And certainly not with my LCD's. I'm now totally at peace with DLP. It's one of the most amazing technological discoveries in the history of the world. I love DLP.

Bob

p.s. okay, so I saw one lousy little instance of rainbow which lasted all of a nanosecond. One nanosecond out of three fricking hours. That don't even count.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Quote:
I just sat through the whole three fricking hours of Two Towers
The EE is almost 4 frikin' hours! I've always liked the EE versions better than the originals.

Congratulations on watching an entire movie without being bothered by "issues". I've yet to do this myself. Maybe someday...

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I have developed a deliberately two-pronged approach.

When I am adjusting or reviewing a system, I look for all of the imperfections.

When i am watching the film, I just watch the film. I force myself not to look for things that are wrong.

I think you have to be able to do both to really succeed at this hobby and still be happy.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will confess that, after it was all over, I just sat there in a state of awe, watching the credits rolling and pondering on the 780,000 mirrors flipping in and out at unfathomable speed. It still baffles me how all those mirrors can do that for more than a few minutes without the thing crapping out. Not to mention that there must be enough heat inside there that you would think it would fry the whole mess instantly.

It's all pretty remarkable.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HT1000.

I should add that I watch a 72" wide image from about 2 widths which admittedly is not typical around here. But I've grown to be very fond of the picture at that size. And I rarely watch anything but DVD.

rlsmith,

The thing is that I now don't even have to make myself not think about "issues" because, for me at least, they've disappeared. If I could still see any, I wouldn't have the will power to ignore them.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Quote:
I will confess that, after it was all over, I just sat there in a state of awe, watching the credits rolling and pondering on the 780,000 mirrors flipping in and out at unfathomable speed. It still baffles me how all those mirrors can do that for more than a few minutes without the thing crapping out.
I don't see how there are little many mirrors that small that do what they do to produce the picture. I am glad someone else is amazed at this technology as much as I am. I love my DLP projector!

Mike

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tarentino is unique. And so are his movies.

I vividly remember first seeing Reservoir Dogs. For me it was at that time maybe the most interesting movie I had ever seen. I was literally wired while watching it. I watched the movie four more times within the week, mainly to turn friends onto it, and never got tired of it. And for me to watch any movie more than once is extremely rare (and usually painful).

I'm really anxious to see Kill Bill, especially after reading Ebert say it's Tarentino truely working in his zone.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
bob,

are you using dvi dvd player on the ht1000?

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, D1 with a Toshiba loader. There's no doubt that part of my bliss is finally being able to get HTPC picture quality without the HTPC. That alone would keep me from wanting to go back to CRT (although I no longer have any desire to). I now never want to have to battle with those *#*#*ing HTPC's again.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Wow, last i remember you were getting done with the Momitsu because you didn't think it (dvi) was everything it was crackd up to be.

do you feel differently about the D1?

i'm still mighty iffy on that brand since i still see plenty of people reporting headaches with it.

i figured i'd just wait this out and it now looks like April will start seeing more options in dvi based players.

unless this Bravo really is something special (i just find that so hard to believe).

its great to get lost in the movie.

i think i'm going to have to pay someone to get this dust blob out.

thats the only thing keeping me from non distracted bliss.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood
Yes, D1 with a Toshiba loader. There's no doubt that part of my bliss is finally being able to get HTPC picture quality without the HTPC. That alone would keep me from wanting to go back to CRT (although I no longer have any desire to). I now never want to have to battle with those *#*#*ing HTPC's again.
Amen...

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ckolchak
Wow, last i remember you were getting done with the Momitsu because you didn't think it (dvi) was everything it was crackd up to be.

do you feel differently about the D1?

i'm still mighty iffy on that brand since i still see plenty of people reporting headaches with it.

i figured i'd just wait this out and it now looks like April will start seeing more options in dvi based players.

unless this Bravo really is something special (i just find that so hard to believe).

I bought the Momitsu V880 (and sold it) before I owned the HT1000.

I bought it because it upscales through a DVI-I output which will supply an analog RGB signal which can be utilized by CRT projectors.

Any opinions I posted were specifically in reference to using it in that application. And that configuration does not result in picture quality which compares with HTPC. It's not bad but there's enough difference that I could not be satisifed with it.

Since the Momitsu V880 and the D1 are both Sigma 8500 based, their picture quality performance with upscaled digital DVI will essentially be the same. It's outstanding in every way. A picture which owes no apology to HTPC.

But, you are correct. Both (V880 and D1) can often be very buggy. Both suffer from being designed by cheapskates. Most of the D1 problems can be blamed on it's $1.98 Fuss loader. And I imagine the same thing is responsible for the V880's troubles.

As have some others, I fixed my D1's problems by replacing the inferior loader.

Bob

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
p.s. to ckolchak,

The Bravo D2 supposedly will have a better performing loader. And, unlike the D1, will provide DVI picture adjustments which will be a significant improvement for those using it with an HT1000.

·
Registered
21,940 Posts
Knock on wood - my D1 has now played every single dvd except for one ( Das Boot - I was skipping around and it tripped up on a layer change ) without problem, including two dozen showings of various home burned dvd - r disks. But the picture with my RP 56 via component is really close on good quality dvds too!

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Craig,

This is off topic but since you watched Pulp Fiction Saturday night and it will still be fresh on your mind, I wanted to share this with you. This is excerpted from Roger Ebert's review (in which he gave the movie his highest rating).

Quote:
Quentin Tarantino is the Jerry Lee Lewis of cinema, a pounding performer who doesn't care if he tears up the piano, as long as everybody is rocking.

It is part of the folklore that Tarantino used to work as a clerk in a video store, and the inspiration for "Pulp Fiction" is old movies, not real life. The movie is like an excursion through the lurid images that lie wound up and trapped inside all those boxes on the Blockbuster shelves. Tarantino once described the old pulp mags as cheap, disposable entertainment that you could take to work with you, and roll up and stick in your back pocket. Yeah, and not be able to wait until lunch, so you could start reading them again.

·
Registered
21,940 Posts
Thanks Robert. You know, this applies to all good home theater projectors set ups, not just the HT1000 - being able to watch movies at home on a good screen just breathes new life into movies you may have watched but didn't really appreciate or connect with. Two cases in point - my wife loves The Wizard of Oz. I've seen it a jillion times on TV. But until you've watched it on a good 69" x 92" screen ( with the HT1000 and a Bravo D1 ), you ain't watched it. Ever notice when they first find the Tin Man that there is a huge bird ( a real live huge bird ) walking around in the background? Never saw that before - it's like a whole new movie! My wife also loves The Princess Bride. That dvd has a great picture too. I never connected with or got into that movie - until I bought it for my wife and we watched it one night on the HT1000 - it's a whole new experience! Now i get it - a comedy where the entire cast is playing the " straight man " part!! And finally, thanks in part to the fact we have very high ceilings and the HT1000 has a short throw and large lens offset, we hosted a wild Rocky Horror Picture party ( that dvd looks stupendous with the HT1000 / D1 combo ) New Years Eve with people dancing in front of the projector throwing stuff on que and never getting in the picture ( for me the short throw / big offset is a huge plus )! We're having so much fun with this pj, I am most certainly going to wear out a bulb! Good DLP rocks!!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.