AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you caught the I love Lucy Documentary movie on CBS. Pq was awesome. It was crisp very sharp and lighting and pq were just amazing. Anyone else here saw this movie!

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
PQ great, Content poor. They didn't even bother to get the sets right, it's not like they don't have reference material....

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I agree, though I haven't had an HD feed for long, it was absolutely the best example of HDTV I've ever seen. Stunning is the word! As far as the content, it was every bit as terrible as I feared - but how could you turn the thing off?

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Quote:
but how could you turn the thing off?
That was easy.

At 9:00 I switched to the season final of Alias. In DD5.1!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
As already described, picture quality was great. Lots of detail, good lighting, and vibrant color.

The only technical criticism would be that the "automatic-level-control / compressor" used to restrict the dynamic range of the sound was very apparent.

But hey... I'll take it... My wife and I both enjoyed the documentary.

Joe. L.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I agree, even my wife commented on how clear the picture was. IMHO, it was one of the best HD movies I have ever seen.

·
Registered
577 Posts
PQ better than The District and CSI, previously the top CBS standards. Possibly the best PQ ever. May be even better than HDnet's best.

This was one I watched purely to admire the PQ and soak in PURE HD.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I only saw about 30 minutes of Lucy here and there, but it was tempting to watch the whole thing("thin"?) just because the picture quality was so good. CBS will be able to re-run this for the next 50 years. One aspect of the story that was new to me was Red Skelton and Buster Keaton showing Ball how to be a clown.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tin ear
Flat lighting and everything in focus(just like "I Love Lucy")
You mean lit like live video? I agree, but that's what most of the people here consider "good picture quality-" i.e., how much it looks like live video. You and I seem to be in the minority here. Personally, I like cinematography that uses lighting to establish a sense of emotion and location, but c'est la vie.

I only watched this show in spurts. I greatly preferred "American Dreams" at 8 and especially "Alias" at 9.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mmost
You mean lit like live video? I agree, but that's what most of the people here consider "good picture quality-" i.e., how much it looks like live video. You and I seem to be in the minority here. Personally, I like cinematography that uses lighting to establish a sense of emotion and location, but c'est la vie.

I only watched this show in spurts. I greatly preferred "American Dreams" at 8 and especially "Alias" at 9.
I wonder how many people would like this look on the big screen?

I do, however, in this particular instance, think that the look was appropriate for the show IMHO. I don't like that look at all generally, but considering the subject matter I think it did set the proper mood.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I enjoyed CBS' I Love Lucy. Rachel York did a good job of portraying Lucille Ball. Desi's character was spot on too.

For the techies (that means us), there were some interesting segments involving Desi's production savvy. Back then (1951), CBS wanted live video from the East to preserve the high definition of the broadcast (instead of kinescope transfer). Desi counterproposed a three-camera film shoot -- innovative at the time -- which would allow Lucy and Desi to stay in Los Angeles.

CBS said okay, but you have to produce it and deal with it and it's all yours. Desi gulped and went ahead with it. Thanks to film, Desilu Productions was able to syndicate the show in its original quality far into the future.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ditto. The pq was stunning, even for the normally strong cbs. Outside of live productions (e.g., the grammy's), it was about the best I've ever seen on network - like others, it's the only reason I watched for an hour or so, and also like others, even my wife was taken aback at how great it looked.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Anyone got snapshots? e-mail me

·
Registered
64 Posts
I wish other CBS HD content such as JAG and CSI have the same PQ as Lucy. To my eyes, it blew all of them away on my 60" GWII!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.