AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The newer black remote with the OK button in the middle of the left right up down is better laid out, but you still have to aim it at just the right angle. I think the 5.13 firmware made it a little more responsive.

Kris, when you were testing it, did you find that it was always in bob mode with static test patterns and dvd menus? it only seems to switch to weave mode when the image is moving and it detects a cadence. It doesn't seem to have a mode where the static background is weave and only the moving part of the image is bob like my old 999ES did. Is this a common thing for all players with silicon image deinterlacers? It doesnt' matter too much because it's what it does with moving picture (film) that matters most, but i'm curious non the less.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Another fan of Arcam...

I have a DB88+ with the Silicon Image SiI504 deinterlacer upgrade board, so in terms of video (but not audio), it's more or less a DV27A.

After having this for almost a year, I'm still amazed at how great DVD video looks on my 61" DLP. I even auditioned a newer HDMI equipped DV79 and it was not better. I love this player.

I don't see any reason to change my DV88+ before an Arcam HD-DVD/BlueRay player happens, unless I can get a super deal on a DV27A.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Arcam FMJ-DV27A has much better analogue output than my old player. It has better frequency response without excessive ringing, it makes well mastered dvd's look HD without making the edge enhancement stand out on (usually older) dvd's that have it. The levels are a lot better too, it's not "hot" like my old player was so I can see more of the details in the whites and it's easier calibrate with.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I know I have looked at it and then shyed away because I didn't think it offered SACD. My budgette is around $2000, so after that my wife isn't going to let me shell out any more $. At my budgette I can get a player that does it all get it modified for multiregion and sound. I would rather have one player to do it all then have to add yet another piece of equipment. My entertainment center is running out of room and my wife is running out of patience. I did seriously look at the Arcams though.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
cybersoga

Can you post a jpeg of the sharpness pattern similar to the one you did for your Sony player?

Kris Deering

How would the Arcam compare to your SDI mod 5900 with DVDO HD?

·
Premium Member
13,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JimP
cybersoga

Can you post a jpeg of the sharpness pattern similar to the one you did for your Sony player?

Kris Deering

How would the Arcam compare to your SDI mod 5900 with DVDO HD?
That isn't a fair comparison. I am combining a pure digital output with superb de-interlacing and scaling. The Arcam holds its own very well against stock DVD players out there. But it isn't to the level that my setup is. You could get the Arcam SDI modded and do the same thing though.

I was hoping Arcam would use the Silicon Image chip with the new DV-29, that would probably give it a superb image at 480P out via HDMI.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Kris,

You probably knew this was coming, ;) but could you post a jpeg similar to what cybersoga and UMR have done.

Don't know how much can be gleamed from this comparison, but it would be interesting to see how all three compare.

·
Premium Member
10,545 Posts
JimP,

I am not sure how meaningful these photos are. There is much more to the mix here than the input signal to the display. I have a Sony LCD RPTV, cybersoga has a Sony Plasma and I believe Kris has a Hitachi CRT RPTV. How the display technology and electronics handle these signals probably more significant than the difference in the input from a FMJ-DV27A, Denon DVD-3800 or a Denon DVD-5900 feeding an IScan over SDI. Who knows how the cameras and photographers figure into the mix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got a DV78 by Arcam a few weeks ago.... wow!!!

I have owned Sonys' and Toshibas' in the past.

The 78 was all I could afford, It has surpassed all of my expectations!!

Picture quality is stunning, and CD playback using the analog outputs, floors me!! This baby is staying in the rack.

Thanks to Mark of DSS Audio in Carlsbad Ca. for the demo and for answering all of my questions.:p

·
Premium Member
13,355 Posts
I don't have a Hitachi CRT, I have a NEC plasma. I would love to take a screen shot for you, but unfortunately I have never been able to pull that off well. I just bought a new digital camera recently but trying to get a screen shot has proved to be a failing effort. I will keep trying and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.