AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just have to share how wonderful it is watching a movie on my 9pg extra. And it only has what the heavy hitters would call a decent convergence job. I haven't even gotten into Guy's focusing posts yet. I was watching "15 minutes" yesterday, and my jaw just kept dropping. I think my brother got tired of my saying "Damn! Does that look good!" The blacks, the color, the clarity.....I'm simply amazed!

That's it. Just had to share.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Last night I tried doing anamorphic squeeze on my 9PG Extra for the first time and all I can say is totally awesome! You become totally immersed in the 3D like images that are obtained. I recommend you give it a try if you haven't already. BTW, what scalar are you using?

Brad :D

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Brad,

I'm using a HTPC and the TheaterTek DVD Player. Also I have the resolution setup to be 1280 x 720 at 48 hz. If you haven't setup a 48hz refesh rate, you have GOT to try it. It is awsome. Now I just have to get this guy mounted on the ceiling, before my fiance arrives for good.

Adam

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I was running 1024X768 @ 72 Hz with my HTPC and thought that the picture looked sweet at that setting. I'll give the 1280 X 720 @ 48 Hz a try sometime for sure. You can't see any flicker at that refresh rate? I have only tried the anamorphic squeeze with my QuadScan @ XGA output (1024X768 60 Hz).

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In very VERY brightly lit scenes you can notice it, but it is not distracting or painful for me. But usually only at the start of the movie. If these same scenes are shown about 5 minutes in or so, I don't even notice it. I'm too busy enjoying that drop dead picture.

Have fun!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Adam

why do you use 48hz refresh that seems low i have mine at 60hz and it seems ok but i would like to go higher.

I might try 48 as i have seen a few people say they use this.

Do you use this refresh rate so you can run a higher res ??

cheers

Brad

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Demunita
Adam

why do you use 48hz refresh that seems low i have mine at 60hz and it seems ok but i would like to go higher.

I might try 48 as i have seen a few people say they use this.

Do you use this refresh rate so you can run a higher res ??

cheers

Brad
The idea behind 48Hz is to keep the refresh rate a multiple of 24 to avoid 3:2 judder. I think most of us run either 72Hz or 48Hz. Keep in mind that this is for NTSC video. If you watch PAL in Australia then you do not want to run multiples of 24. I think PAL is usually best at 50Hz but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Same here. I was playing with my 1271 last night projecting onto a sheet with now the correct spacers for the CRTs.

I redid the alignment, still a temporary quicky job, and it was considerably better then what I had earlier.

Then I plugged in the QuadScan Pro... WOW what I difference that thing made!

I did notice though when I was changing its output resolution the size and position of the projected image changed depending upon the resolution. I'll have to figure out how to size/center that as well as keeping the rastors centered.

Shawn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.