Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a Krell HTS (older model) that I am using with a Krell 1500 5 channel amp. I originally bought these pieces to be used with my Wilson Watt Puppy 6's and they sound amazing.

But now that I am building a new HT, I am considering leaving the Wilson;s upstairs in a dedicated 2 channel system. It just seems wasteful to use the Krell 5 channel amp and a Krell HTS only for 2 channel audio.

For the new HT, I can use my old McCormack 2 channel amp along with a 3 channel McCormack amp...BUT I do not have a processor....I also have a BK307....I have no speakers yet for the HT. I am thinking of Dynaudio, I forgot the model..around $2K...I love to play really loud...

So....It seems like I could move the Krell HTS to the HT and use the McCormacks with it...But then I would need a great s channel preamp for music only. Any suggestions? I compared a Conrad Johnson 17ls today and was not bklown away....What if I bring the Krell 5 channel amo downstairs and buy a great 2 channel amp...Does Krell make the same amp in a 2 channel version?

I have lots of pieces but need a plan...

Any comments appreaciated...

Oh....need speakers too...thinking Dynaudio...

Mark

·
Registered
976 Posts
Upstairs, buy a pair of Halcro DM58 monoblocks. You will be the envy of everyone else on this forum, and $25,000 poorer.

I no longer use Krell amps on 2-channel systems. There are more musical power amps out there. But, that's my opinion, and my wallet speaking.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi, At different times my home theater has had a krell hts mark1, a krell kav250/a3 , A McCormack DNA 1 and a HT-1. Currently I have the hts7.1 and the TAS 5 channel amp. Suggest you keep the 1500 with the hts. Your wilsons are very efficient. Suggest you look at the krell 300il integrated amp. http://www.krellonline.com/html/m_KAV_p_KAV300iL.html It has a reasonable amount of power(200 watts into 8 and 400 into 4 ohms) and it also gives you the advantage of a true analog preamp. You can get one used for under 2k. Krell does have a new 2 channel amp called the kav-2250 but it costs almost 4 grand new. If you decide to sell the McCormacks you will have lots of options. I'll be happy to email you my phone number if you want to discuss further. Peter

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions (except the one for $25K....please, do not encourage me)

I am leaning towards Krell...My local dealer has a 300 something model (I forgot the number) it lists for $8000...It is too much money to spend right now but when the time comes, i want to really notice a difference. I have a big investment in the Watt Puppy's and could not be happier with them..

The KAV 1500 sounds really good...

I went on Krell's site and saw the integrated preamp. I never heard of it before...I didn't see a price for it but it is probably a great choice...I also noticed the 280 but I am not sure it will be a big difference to the HTS.

I want a preamp that will really impress me...The Conrad Johnson was ok but nothing earthshattering...

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Peter, I reread your post and I agree with you on keeping the HTS with the 1500...But do you think the integrated amp will be better than the HTS/1500 combo?

The dealer has a used 250/a3 for about $2100. He says it is better than the KAV 1500..The price is great but do you think it really is better or as good as the 1500?

I went back to krell's site and found the amp he has for sale....It is a 300cx...He assures me this is a significant upgrade.....I have a feeling he is right. I am afraid to listen to it though...

http://www.krellonline.com/html/m_ClassA_p_FPBs.html

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mark,

The 1500 and the 250a\\3 are almost identical amps except for number of channels. Krell massaged another 50 watts per channel on the 1500 for marketing reasons. The 250 is not a sonic upgrade. The newer KAV amps(silver finish)(TAS. 2250,and3250) share tech with the FPBcx series and do sound better than older models. The FPBcx series are some of the best you can buy. I suggested the 300il because it is relatively cheap on the used market and it would sound as good or better than your current setup. Also your hts1 does not have a true analog pass through.All analog signals go thorough an A/D conversion. This is less than ideal with high quality CD or SACD players when you use their analog outputs. Personally I'm saving my pennies for a 400cx or a 700cx to drive my left and right dunlavy 4As. I buy Krell used and new. Used can save you a bundle. My authorized dealer usually discounts new at 20% off list. For used, I strongly suggest you do a search under Krell at audiogon.com

It's a great site and much less cutthroat than ebay. Peter

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm withyou....I want the 300cx, occassionally the dealer blows out demo stuff...I would snap it up in a second at 40% off....

I did a/b comparisions on a Classe CD player and I could not really tell much of a difference between the analogue and digital signals. Maybe it is because as you mentioned the HTS does not have a true bypass mode...

I am trying to figure out why my Panasonic A7 DVD player sounds so good to me...Maybe the Classe is much better or maybe I am deaf....What CD player are you using??

Mark

·
Registered
57 Posts
Most recently it's been a krell kav-280 CD and I'm using the analog balanced outputs. It sounds wonderful. Before I upgraded my HTS, I used a CAL 10 with the digital output going into the krell. The HTS's D/A's are quite excellent. If you are using the digital out on the panasonic, I'm not surprised that it sounds very good. Your speakers are among the best available. They are hi resolution transducers. If you had a good analog preamp I'm sure you could tell the difference between the players. Having said that I would also remind you that getting that last 5% of the curve of the best sound possible can be very expensive. Once your system makes you happy, You don't always have to buy the the latest and the greatest.

Of course, my wife will tell you that I don't always practice what I preach. Good listening. Peter

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Peter,

I 'hear' you! I could stay with my existing system and be really happy for quite awhile but as I am completing my new HT, I need to move some equipment around. It seems like a good time to bring the HTS and 1500 and move it into the HT. I have to move the A7 DVD player with the SDI mod into the HT as well, so I am in need of a CD player...

Hmmm the Krell 280...How much do they go for?

I don;t hear enough of a difference to make me want to run out and buy the Classe but you are right, I need to check them out with a different preamp.

Of course you are right about that last few percentage points of improvements costing a fortune.

I would love to hear the difference between the KAV 1500 and the 300CX with the Wilson;s..What would you imagine the difference to be? I wonder how significant?

When I switched from the McCormack DNA1 back to the 1500 I did not instantly notice a huge improvement but after the 1500 heated up and I cranked up the volume, there was no comparison...I can;t imagine the 300CX being as much of an improvement. But who knows?

Mark

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mark

Before you buy the Krell, listen to the Bel Canto EVO 2. I have two EVO 2's monoblocked and will be using that combination for my Watt Puppy 7's (ordered, but haven't arrived). Best solid state sound and considerably cheaper that Krell. Stereophiles 2001 Product of the year and is one of the amps they use for their reference system.

John

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mark, a good deal on a 280 CD would be 2400-2500 dollars. At this point I would sit tight and see what gets introduced at CES. I would love to find a good univeral player that does good red book CD. The pioneer 47i is a good start but I think we will soon see a whole new generation of players. Given the efficiency of your speakers I still think a 200 watt amp is enough for anything but ear bleeding levels. I talked to my dealer today concerning the difference between the FPB and KAV amps.He did not think it would be an order of magnitude improvement but he also did'nt try to talk me out of it. Off the subject , I just decided to replace my velodyne HGS 18 with a 6 foot 370lb passive dunlavy sub-woofer. Available for half price now that company out of business. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to tell my wife. Peter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.