AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally decided to take the plunge. A new TV was in order to replace my 10 year old 27" GE. My wife was a little shocked to see the amount of money I was about to spend on a TV, but I got her to go along. I bought a Mitsibishi 48311. Of course I had to replace my Denon too so I got an NAD T752 to do the Dolby duties :) The picture is incredible.

So last weekend I decided I wanted to see the Vikings in HD (I didn't realize that the OTA version was SD). So I bought a Samsung T150 display model for $190, and hooked it up. My old 75 mile antenna mounted under the deck got put back into service, and did a perfect job picking up all 10 available channels in the area, even the one that's exactly opposite direction of aim and nowhere near line-of-sight.

Then I watched MNF. Holy crap, this is the way football is meant to be watched. 5.1 surround and the picture is incredible.

I just wanted to share my joy :)

I was actually looking at the T151, and saw the T150 for that cheap and bought it. As a bonus, it doesn't look like a cheap electronic scale like the 151, just a clean cabinet.

Of course it didn't come with a remote, so now I'm hooked on the JP1 forum, to program a remote for the T150.

-Mike

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
It's always nice to hear people getting such joy from their 300 pound ancient technology big box in their living room. Enjoy.:D

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Fast351,

the new Popular Science compared several new technologies of HD displays (CRT rear-projection, DLP, LCOS) and the CRT rear-projection still comes out on top. They have the best picture per square inch for the money. I have had my Mits 46" HD set for nearly 3 years now and totally love the picture. If you have the space they are still the best way to go. Enjoy your new set for many years to come!!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mit07
It's always nice to hear people getting such joy from their 300 pound ancient technology big box in their living room. Enjoy.:D
Oh come on, it's only 180# :)

Actually, I did look at several different technologies. I was very impressed by the Samsung DLP TVs. I've read of too many problems and they were just a little out of my price range. Then I looked at front projectors, and for the resolution and brightness that I wanted, they were in the 7-8K range. The cheaper front projections were either too dim for a living room type environment or the pixellation was rather obvious at anything bigger than 4 feet across.

Like fjerina said, the Mitsu gave me the best picture/sq. in./$

Of course there are many things that look better for more money, but I really thing for $1.5-2K the RPTVs are the best value for the money.

Of course, feel free to disagree :)

-Mike

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Fast - I actually do agree with you - I have a 55' Mitsu.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also got a 55" WS55511 about a month ago and am addicted to all sports broadcast in HD. Last week I got to watch the Falcons vs Wash. in widescreen, Eagles vs. NE and Chicago vs. Min in HD.

All in one day !!! I only wish FOX would get on the ball and upgrade now!

I've even convince my friend to buy a HDTV capable TV.

Congrats...on your widescreen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.