Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that Ive had my Sammy for a weeks time I wanted to report that I am

very happy with this set. The more I use it the more I like it.

At first I was not that impressed with this projector right out of the box. Like anything else it takes some tweaking to arrive at each individuals expectations.

I love the multiple inputs, plenty of brightness, no miss convergence or burn in. Its relatively light weight and small footprint.

Yes it has a few quirks but I can live with them. the pluses far out way its shortcomings:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
did you do your own tweaks or did you use the sm tweaks that people are using? plus, do you thenk a 507 can give a thearter experience from 10 to 11 feet away? I am on the pb but am thinking on jumping on the 61 inch.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Alan,

If you haven't yet you should get it ISF'd or at least use our freebie tweaks. This set can be calibrated to track grayscale almost perfectly!

It's really an AVS Success Story too.

1. AVS Instigated Improvements (DCDi deinterlacing)

2. AVS PowerBuy Pricing!

3. AVS Forum Members solve hideous PQ problems

4. AVS Sponsor Milori's ColorFacts used to tweak. (also at PB pricing :) )

Pat yourself on the back!

Ken

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
manny1025,

That is exactly how far I sit away from the 507. My wife and I both feel that it does not provide a HT experience from that distance. That is why we have a 617 on order.

-ftlee

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ditto that question, only what's your opinion on viewing the 507 at a distance of 9 feet max? Is there a question of eye fatigue at that distance? Thanx.

~Alex.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
IMO 50" doesn't provide that Big Cinema experience at any normal distance.

61" is more than adequate though, so if you've got the room and the $$$ I'd go for the 61".

With any luck I'll be demoing a 61" this week. Can't wait!

Ken

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm with you, Alan. I've had my 437w for 1 week and find that it far exceeds my expectations. My analog cable looks fine, and my dvds look great. I can't wait for hdtv (wavering between Comcast digital cable and satellite). I've employed the UM and SM tweaks posted here, excluding gain/offset adjustments to color, which I will look into after the bulb has 100 hours on it.

My only continuing grievance is the buzz from the set, but I will be framing it into my wall unit (ventilates from the rear and above) and I'll be adding Tecnifoam panels around the unit's sides. If this doesn't work, I'll make a service call, as my set made only minimal fan whir for about 6 hours before the buzz started.

Great set. Can't wait for HDTV.

matt

·
Registered
161 Posts
For those of you happy Samsung DLP owners, here's one simple question?

How many remotes do you have in your coffee table?

How many button presses do you go through to switch from say, DVD to HDTV?

Are you able to switch the A/V receiver audio input and the TV input with only one button press?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I love my dlp the only time its looked wierd is with playing Mulholland Drive movie the other nite. The movie stinks but during one of the dark scenes when the two ladies were in bed the coloring of the necks and faces looked almost clay like and a little pixelated. I haven't done any tweaks to the set but will anticipate doing some of the recommended ones on this board.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Only one remote on my ottoman (no coffee table). Marantz rc 2000 Mk2, big boy but i love it. Two buttons to press to switch inputs. First clik on tv video input and select what i want, like PC for my replay tv. Then double clik Replay on my remote and i'm there. Then to dvd i clik video on the tv, select component 1, then double clik dvd on my remote. Pretty painless. Not as painless as one clik, but i'll survive :)

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
One Remote in my hand, MX-700, currently teaching it macros, so yeah it may take a few button pushes, but its only one remote, all the rest are put to the draw.

Jim

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I have been browsing at the Samsung DLPs and Sony GWXBRs for awhile now. Everytime I see a Samsung (unless it has an obvious problem of some sort) I can't help but be impressed by the brightness and clarity of the picture. Unlike the GWXBRs I don't immediately notice the lack of blacks and contrast ratio -- yes, even when the UM tweaks have been applied to the GW.

This can't help but get better with the very-detailed tweaks identified by all of the hard working folks on this forum.

My current opinion is that this is the right direction for me, and I am eager to see the new 61" set or what other manufacturers have to offer. I unfortunately (or fortunately?) can't buy right now, so I have time to ponder.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vfrjim
One Remote in my hand, MX-700, currently teaching it macros, so yeah it may take a few button pushes, but its only one remote, all the rest are put to the draw.

Jim
Thanks for the info.

I have an MX-500. Yes, two button presses would work if it was just me, but my wife doesn't want to do that, grandma won't be able to do that, and the kids, well, I don't think I want them selecting inputs.

So ... let's check out the 52DL52 or wait for the Optoma RD-50.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Quote:
I have an MX-500. Yes, two button presses would work if it was just me, but my wife doesn't want to do that, grandma won't be able to do that, and the kids, well, I don't think I want them selecting inputs.
After I set up a "master power" macro, I will be setting up the MX-200 that came with my MX-700 and even my mother will be able to use it, a nice and limited remote that can't get anyone into trouble, especially since 95% of the time, my input is set to DVI, no need to change the input for the "casual users"

Jim

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vfrjim
After I set up a "master power" macro, I will be setting up the MX-200 that came with my MX-700 and even my mother will be able to use it, a nice and limited remote that can't get anyone into trouble, especially since 95% of the time, my input is set to DVI, no need to change the input for the "casual users"

Jim
Jim,

Are you using a SIR-T165 or other outboard scaler/switcher? If so, how do you like the results with component input switched through the external device?

-phil

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Quote:
Are you using a SIR-T165 or other outboard scaler/switcher? If so, how do you like the results with component input switched through the external device?
No, I am not (as of yet, but planning on it in the future). But since there are only 2 users in my house and I am the only one that uses any of the other inputs other then DVI, I make sure that I put it back to DVI after I am done watching the set, so it is a "known" input when other's use the set and thier remote does not allow them to change the input, they only watch TV anyways, not DVD's or my HTPC.

Jim

·
Registered
856 Posts
Last night I used my SIR-T165 to view HD OTA broadcasts for the first time. It is connected to the 507 using DVI. I played with the output from the SIR-T165 between 720p vs 1080i. My wife and I both agreed that the picture was better using 1080i output. This, I think, means the 507 is doing a better job down converting the signal, right? BTW, the PQ is awesome. my wife and I both thought that picture was so perfect that we didn't know how it could be improved! I have not gotten into the service menu yet.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Jim, you beat me to it. I also leave my set on dvi so my wife can easily turn it on and enjoy the set and tv.

My dad recently bought one and his wife is not interested in technology at all, and hates surround. So he hooked cable to the tv and leaves it on antenna when he's finished with it. Then all his wife has to do is turn the tv on with the ole remote, increase the volume and switch channels.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
I assume the source was 1080i? What about ABC 720p and Fox 480p? With no "native" output, this seems to be a crap shoot. The 480i capabilities seem to goofy on 1080i, so I'll stay on 720p unless I see a good reason not to.

Quote:
Originally posted by pspun
I played with the output from the SIR-T165 between 720p vs 1080i. My wife and I both agreed that the picture was better using 1080i output.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.