Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate the guide!

First of all, that "searching for information" thing takes forever. Yes the unit is fast to take inputs, but when it goes looking for information it takes a long, long time.

I find the type to be too small. I have perfect vision, but compared to the other units I've had (rca and panny) I find the sony's information small and hard to read.

I really dislike sony's version of "surfing". This is my biggest complaint. To me, the rca still has the best surf feature (even if you can't get complete information in that mode). I like the idea of staying on the station your watching, but being able to see what else is on. There's no need to see an image of what your reading about in the guide (a la sony).

Frankly, and I'm sure a lot of people will disagree, I liked the panasonic's guide better. Yes, it was slow as molasses, but it was big, bold... easy to read... dolby icons next to the titles (no surf mode, but frankly I feel the sony in effect has no surf mode). Also.. the panny puts ota channels in their proper place (ie: 2.1 goes after 2 and before 4 in the list). The sony puts all ota channels before local directtv channels.

All in all...I really like the sony. My fan noise is not bad at all, far quieter than the panasonic. I just really dislike the guide.

·
Registered
33,594 Posts
lhamp,

It's funny you mention this. While I was testing the boxes for the lip synch issue, I was using my Zenith 64" HDTV. There is NO question on a 64" screen, the graphics of the guide becomes a bigger issue. My wife said exactly what you did, that the graphics were far superior on the Panny than the Sony (even though she did like the picture inset on the Sony). However on my smaller Panasonic Tau, the Sony graphics aren't an issue at all, they look fine. The acquiring issue can be a pain when moving forward in the guide, but it seems to happen only at the 1 and 1/2 hour forward point. You're than OK for the next 6 hours or so before you need to reacquire. What's interesting is that the Panny doesn't do that at all (probably because it's so slow it can get the info in the meantime).

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
lhamp,

I've had the Sony unit for about a hour or so and I have to agree with you. This unit is really cool, I just wish the guide was a little more like the Panny/Mits. I don't really care for the small video in the corner. I haven't tried the component output yet. Looks really good in VGA. I'd prefer grey bars to black, but this is ok.

--Rick

[This message has been edited by ricka (edited 03-21-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.