AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been fooling around with this thing the last few days. Best $335 I've spent in a while.

I have to say PQ is better than I thought it would be. As I stated in another post, it seems to pass most of the Faroudja tests (or comes pretty close). PQ is equivalent to or better than the Sharp DV-S2 I was using. Lots of tweakable features, and the BNR (block noise reduction) does a nice job smoothing out lower-bitrate encoded material.

Sound is stellar. I'd use the built in decoder but my receiver's MCACC feature bests it. SACD on the otherhand is impressive, especially for a $300 unit. Bass mgt works nicely.

Other than the terrible navigation (huge oversight), and the auto-load which doesn't disable (once again, terrible), it's a great buy, if you don't mind keeping a list on paper.

If I had the space I'd buy another. It's a TANK!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Howdy,

I have the 300 disk DVD changer from Sony and have a love/hate relationship with it.

I love having all my disks available and the PQ of the unit. I hate the disk explorer for a variety of reasons

#1 - it's slow as molasses on a sno cone in an igloo in the artic in the dead of winter. If you put thumbnail pics in for the DVD, it's even worse.

#2 - No Page up/down and home/end buttons

#3 - 13 character title limit

#4 - If a DVD has text info, it read it, but you can't change it. Some DVDs do not have the best titles (or they are chopped off because of the 13 character limit).

I'd be very interested if you could comment on how the 985V does in comparison to those items.

Also, can you set the base IRE value? My 300 disk unit doesn't seem to have any way to change this.

My 300 disk changer is now more than 2/3rds full, so a larger unit with improved explorer features holds some interest for me.

Thanks!

Gerry

Thanks!

·
Registered
18,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AFAIK the explorer is the same. It's garbage. I said as much. You can't page down, but the manual says you can jump to an explorer page by entering the # and enter.

Yes, it sucks I know, that's why I use paper and am trying to get my Harmony remote working with it so I can select by name from there.

All the rest of the problems you mention are probably the same.

IRE? Not sure what you mean. You can pick 1,2,3 for the remote, but you can't do it on the fly. You need to switch it inside the battery panel.

The unit itself is huge. Remember, you can't flip disks either, and I can't speak for the PQ of the older Sonys. The sound however is excellent.

It's an improvement to be sure, but it seems stupid these huge functional problems still exist. Essentially the unit is unusable with the built in navigator. Once again, I have to wonder if the engineers actually take these units home and use them?

Still, for $335 there's nothing that even comes close.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveFi
AFAIK the explorer is the same. It's garbage. I said as much. You can't page down, but the manual says you can jump to an explorer page by entering the # and enter.
Great :-( And the "punch a number to jump" thing works on the 300 disk unit, so I suspect they have not made any changes. Note: I had the 200 disk DVD changer with the crappy explorer, returned it, bought the 300 disk when it came out and hung on to it. It appears all three (200, 300 & 400) are running the exact same, unupgraded explorer software.

I wish I could crack this thing open and get at the firmware - it would not be hard to write something better than this (heck, a text based interface would work).

Quote:
IRE? Not sure what you mean.
Sets the level of "black" - usually this is 7.5IRE, but some DVD players let you set it to 0IRE too.

Quote:
The unit itself is huge. Remember, you can't flip disks either, and I can't speak for the PQ of the older Sonys. The sound however is excellent.
It can't flip disks?

Jeeze, the 200 disk couldn't either, but the 300 disk unit has a flip button and while it's slow, it does work. I only have one remaining flipper, so that is not a killer, but I'm really surprised they removed that feature.

Quote:
Still, for $335 there's nothing that even comes close.
Yeah, if I didn't have the 300, I'd agree. But the only things the 400 seem to provide are an extra 100 discs and progressive out. Both nice, but not really pressing issues for me.

Sony - if you fixed the darn explorer up, I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat (I know they aren't listening though... :)

Gerry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.