AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say what you will about 16:9 mode, letterbox still is not as impressive as 4:3 mode on the 40" Sony. Yes, I know that the letterbox screen is still equivalent to a 36" widescreen, but you are still viewing 25% less of a picture. ZOOM is the way to go. Yes, you purists, in an occassional scene you miss something, like Obi-Wan, on the side. But in 99% of the scenes you are seeing what is meant to be sceen, 25% larger than in 16:9 mode. The Sony line doubler makes the full screen picture as clear as most widescreens with a progressive DVD. (Yes, mine is a progressive Toshiba SD4700)

A TV this great deserves to have every inch of screen taken up by the gorgeous picture, not black letterbox bars.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Umm, yeah, sure. Whatever makes you happy.

Excuse me while I watch a 2.35:1 film on my 16X9 47" Panasonic.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Trooplewis

How well does the DRC on that set work?

I saw the 53HS20 over a year ago and it looked

very good, but had a couple artifacts- double line

over scores on ESPN,etc. I would be curious to know if

Sony has managed to tweak their DRC a bit.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
It's this Fall's model that has the improved DRC.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NO complaints about the DRC. Picture looks virtually identical in progresive scan mode and interlaced mode. The DRC compensation is fantastic. That is why, even zoomed to full screen, the picture retains same detail and clarity that it does in 16:9 mode.

Regarding the 47" Panny, put that TV in my well-lit room and you will be very disappointed with the picture. In some situations, old fashioned CRTs still work best.

The only TVs that can compare with the 40" sony is the Panny plasmas, but they have other issues you have to deal with, especially if you like games and internet.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for the info!!

That is a giant set... The 800 is coming out soon.

DRC defeatable(?), possibly DVI input..

Cructhfield and J and R will have some of Sony's

new stuff, already on their web-sites

[

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
From what I have seen on my F-38310, since I a cripple have seen some of these movies hundreds of time it is sure nice to have a 16 X 9 and watch my DVD in OAR not 'fool' screen 1.33:1 or 4:3. I aggree with Matt_Stevens on this call, I have a 40 inch also, but only 38 inches are active.

19 inches of vertical and 33.75 inches of in screen width. My favorite is anamorphic 2.35:1 with black bars, that I don't seem to see, when I turn the lights out!:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
How can anyone talk about picture quality when you are watching something in ZOOM??? Thats like some one who is has bad vison and need glasses, taking them off and telling me how great a painting looks.

I agree that 40XBR700 is a great TV, giving you both of best worlds, 16:9 & 4:3....

But Zoom on a DVD? ack! way to take a giant step back in Home Theater!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From 8 feet away, you would be hard pressed to see a difference between the pq with interlaced in zoomed 4:3 and progressive in 16:9 on the Sony. Try it and see. The cinemotion feature makes the interlaced/progressive difference almost imperceptable. The TV is that good.... I can flip the switch from i to p and my wife agrees; difference is hard to tell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.