AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I’ve been all over the board this past 2 weeks as I read through page after page of sub threads on here. I think I have have my first time sub purchase narrowed down to 3 and could use all the help I can get.

I considered multiple offerings from SVS, PSA, HSU and Rythmik. After much soul searching I’ve narrowed it down to either pursuing a used dual setup or 1 nice new sub.

If I go used; it’ll be SVS PB-2000’s with 4yrs of warranty left and in perfect condition. Price for both would be $1200.

If I go new; it’ll be a Rythmik FV15 or FVX15. Looked at all the $1000-ish offerings from the other companies mentioned above and I just like the vibe I got about Rythmik (both from reviews and tails of great customer service)

So

#1 ) Is there a huge difference between the two Rythmik units to justify $300 more that the FV commands? [$1000 vs $1300]

#2 ) What makes more sense, both function and price wise? One Rythmik for for at least a year before I could think about another one. Or dual PB2000’s right away?

Room is 2500 cu/ft. Ratio is 60/40 tv-music. Don’t even own a blue ray player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Not to muddy the water, but the Monolith 15" sub for $1299 is looking impressive. If it ever goes on sale I'll probably have to get one.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would grab the Rythmik...either one would be fine. Personally I would go all in and just get the FV18 and call it a day. Curb the upgrade bug and go right to the top of the food chain.
Haha, I’m definitely capping myself at 15’s. It took enough convincing to be allowed to buy the 15 based on its size. My brain tells me the FVX is much better idea but then my heart wonders if I’ll be missing something. Or if I would even be able to tell the difference in a blind test?

Not to muddy the water, but the Monolith 15" sub for $1299 is looking impressive. If it ever goes on sale I'll probably have to get one.

It is a sharp looking piece. I’ve just never heard of them or noticed a large owners thread like the other “big 4”

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
It is a sharp looking piece. I’ve just never heard of them or noticed a large owners thread like the other “big 4”
It's from a new line of subs. AVS member Chucky7 currently has one and putting it through it's paces and has posted some of his testing on the Monolith thread. So far what he has reported points to it being quite an impressive subwoofer.

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
Haha, I’m definitely capping myself at 15’s. It took enough convincing to be allowed to buy the 15 based on its size. My brain tells me the FVX is much better idea but then my heart wonders if I’ll be missing something. Or if I would even be able to tell the difference in a blind test?

Output is the only difference between the 2 Rythmiks. So it depends on how much headroom you want or need. You should talk to the guys at Rythmik about it.

The Monoprice sub seems to be a contender so far, but their track record for subs is not so great and there is no data on support regarding their subs. I doubt it would be much different in overall output to the FV15HP which has a proven track record.

·
Registered
9,058 Posts
At 40% music, Rythmik would be your best option, IMO.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Output is the only difference between the 2 Rythmiks. So it depends on how much headroom you want or need. You should talk to the guys at Rythmik about it.

The Monoprice sub seems to be a contender so far, but their track record for subs is not so great and there is no data on support regarding their subs. I doubt it would be much different in overall output to the FV15HP which has a proven track record.

Spoke to Rythmik and they stated based on my room size the the FV would really only be necessary if I consistently listen above reference levels. They said at or below and the FVX would be fine. Problem is I still really don’t know what that means

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Spoke to Rythmik and they stated based on my room size the the FV would really only be necessary if I consistently listen above reference levels. They said at or below and the FVX would be fine. Problem is I still really don’t know what that means

Basically, you have a medium sized room for a subwoofer. Rythmik is telling you the FVX15 will be capable of filling that room, but the larger or more powerful models will give you additional headroom, which you may never use. How many seating locations do you have? Many times getting two lesser subs will be better than one larger, more capable sub. If you have multiple seating locations, I would be inclined to go with dual SVS PB12-nsd's for $1k. You can get a much smoother room response with dual subs as opposed to one. I have a room a little learger than yours and dual pb12's do very well.

·
Registered
8,789 Posts

Reference level is after calibration is run on your AVR you listen with the volume a 0db or you run the bass channel hot (raised after calibration) by a large amount.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Power Sound Audio has 2 interesting subs in their Outlet Center.

One is a 15 inch sealed sub for $899.99, the other is an 18 inch ported sub for $1099.99. You should check them out. Prices includes shipping. No tax outside of Ohio :)

Reactions: basshead81

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reference level is after calibration is run on your AVR you listen with the volume a 0db or you run the bass channel hot (raised after calibration) by a large amount.

I guess I have to go into my Denon and change the volume settings as based on what I described to them rythmik; they said it’s currently on the absolute scale instead of the DB scale most of you here mention

Basically, you have a medium sized room for a subwoofer. Rythmik is telling you the FVX15 will be capable of filling that room, but the larger or more powerful models will give you additional headroom, which you may never use. How many seating locations do you have? Many times getting two lesser subs will be better than one larger, more capable sub. If you have multiple seating locations, I would be inclined to go with dual SVS PB12-nsd's for $1k. You can get a much smoother room response with dual subs as opposed to one. I have a room a little learger than yours and dual pb12's do very well.

Only 1 setting position. Just the Mrs and I in the House

Power Sound Audio has 2 interesting subs in their Outlet Center.

One is a 15 inch sealed sub for $899.99, the other is an 18 inch ported sub for $1099.99. You should check them out. Prices includes shipping. No tax outside of Ohio :)

I took a long hard look at PSA but I kept coming back to Rythmik as I noticed comment after comment about house awesome rythmik was at music. And given my love of rap and hip-hop I like the idea of having a sub that can keep up with the music

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ughh, I keep reading and I keep getting more cloudy.

My brain tells me to buy the dual PB2000’s. It’s essentially the same price as one rythmik and something tells me that since I’m coming from a UE-Boom Bluetooth speaker that even the PB-2000’s will have me in awe....

My heart says get a rythmik because it’s bigger and that has to be better

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

My brain tells me to buy the dual PB2000’s. It’s essentially the same price as one rythmik and something tells me that since I’m coming from a UE-Boom Bluetooth speaker that even the PB-2000’s will have me in awe....

If you do decide to go the dual sub route, which has key benefits, save yourself $500 and get dual SVS PB12-NSD's instead of dual PB-2000's. The performance difference isn't that much and in a 2500 ft^3 room you probably couldn't tell the difference. I've owned the PB-2000 and currently have dual PB12's.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you do decide to go the dual sub route, which has key benefits, save yourself $500 and get dual SVS PB12-NSD's instead of dual PB-2000's. The performance difference isn't that much and in a 2500 ft^3 room you probably couldn't tell the difference. I've owned the PB-2000 and currently have dual PB12's.

Interesting... I didn’t not expect to hear that!

On the Rythmik side of the equation; is it fair to think Rythmik does music better than PSA/SVS/HSU? Or is that just sales puffery and people trying to justify Rythmik over the others?

What I took away from all my readings is that:

SVS = high price for the performance you get of any particular model

HSU = great product but their 15” offerings are out classed by other 15” offerings from other companies at close to the same price point

PSA: most performance per dollar spent and great for movies

Rythmik: almost as good as value as PSA and more geared towards music than movies

Does this seem like a fair take away or am I misinformed?

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I'll just leave it at this, you can get 3 PB12's for the price of two PB-2000's. Sounds like you have system overload right now. lol

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll just leave it at this, you can get 3 PB12's for the price of two PB-2000's. Sounds like you have system overload right now. lol

If by system you mean brain then you’re right lol. Choosing the LRC and receiver was easy. This is giving me a headache and keeping me up at night the last few nights :/

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
My brain tells me the FVX is much better idea but then my heart wonders if I’ll be missing something. Or if I would even be able to tell the difference in a blind test?
Worrying about picking it out of the blind is wrong thinking, IMO. One thing I have learned about this hobby is expectation bias is real and there is no point in fighting it. Get the one you think you really want; its going to rock; and you won't have doubts.

And I can say without reservation that the FV15HP is a fantastic sub. :)

·
Premium Member
3,375 Posts

go with your heart....otherwise (if you're like me) you’ll always wonder ‘what if’

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,843 Posts

A very strong vote for the FV15HP. It will have 2-3 times the output of DUAL PB2000's and will have much deeper extension. So the single FV15HP will handily outperform the dual SVS's, while leaving you with a clear upgrade path in the future by adding another.

Reactions: newc33
1 - 20 of 47 Posts