AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a long time ago, I had 6 buttkickers and two amps. When I lot my theatre (from moving) 7 years ago I also sold my butt kickers.

Now, I have been building my dream theatre in my new house with a 3 tier platform and I isolated the entire platform from the walls and from the group (isostore).

I hard wired for 4 transducers as well. I have power and speaker wire ran inside of the platform, stapled, taped to all hell and secured for no vibration.

The platform is made out of two sections. The top section is 2x12 construction with 1 sheet of 1/2" OSB and 1 sheet of 3/4" OSB on top (with tar paper in between and copious amounts of acoustic seal). Everywhere that 2 pieces of wood meet, there is acoustic seal like glue

The bottom section is 2*10, but twice the size, and has same construction.

The bottom one is also rubber isolated from the top one. The top one has it's own power and 2 lines (4 x 16-4) for two transducers. Just in case, I also ran some extra wire to both. (including a few lines of cat6 in case baluns are needed in the future)

Anyways, to my question... these things are NOT light.... I REALLY want to shake the hell out of them.

My issue is now coming down to the fact that I am whipped, and already several thousand... lots of thousands... over my budget for this theater in our basement.

Without my wife killing me, I am trying to figure out how to get the transducers in here and active.
I know there ARE A LOT of cheaper alternatives to butt kickers, some good, some not worth it at all.
Is there any way that AuraSound or some other cheaper alternative would work on the entire platform?

The buttkickers, not being able to source them in Canada, and with the dollar the way it is I just can't justify another $2k on buttkickers.

I haven't started my build website yet, so here are just a few picture showing basically what I had built.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
The Aura Pros can work but, how many you may need will take some experimentation. If the Buttkickers are a 5/5 then the Aura Pros would be a 4.5/5. I would place the seats before experimenting. Mounting them to the platform for easy access and before carpeting will help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Aura Pros can work but, how many you may need will take some experimentation. If the Buttkickers are a 5/5 then the Aura Pros would be a 4.5/5. I would place the seats before experimenting. Mounting them to the platform for easy access and before carpeting will help.
Interesting, you think the Aura's are that good, hey? I have heard so many people say that if ButtKickers were a 5/5 then Auras woudl be more like a 0.1/5

If they are that good, they are definitely worth the try. Even if I have to put more of them. 10 Auras are the cost of ONE ButtKicker.

Inside the platform, (doesn't show in the photo) are access hatches that I will also cut the carpet out around. I had never thought of bolting the seats to the ground but I really like this idea. That should help. I was thinking I should probably not put ANY underlay on the platforms? Just carpet?

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
He doesn't want to spend an arm and a leg and then risk losing limbs while being killed by his wife, so Crowsons are out of the question.

Best bang for your buck would probably be the ADX Maximus. They're slightly better than the Auras from what I've read (and been told) and are a decent price.

Why not secure a few bass shakers directly to the seating as well?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not secure a few bass shakers directly to the seating as well?
You took the words right out of my mouth :)

I thought about this also, but was not smart enough to run even more lines for all 6 chairs. In retrospect, I wish I had. I will have power there but not enough for all 6. I suppose I could use the cat 6 I ran for baluns, and just split it but I see this causing a hum.

I will look at that model. Has anyone used it on here?

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
You took the words right out of my mouth :)

I thought about this also, but was not smart enough to run even more lines for all 6 chairs. In retrospect, I wish I had. I will have power there but not enough for all 6. I suppose I could use the cat 6 I ran for baluns, and just split it but I see this causing a hum.

I will look at that model. Has anyone used it on here?
Personally, I'd try securing transducers directly to the seating first. You may be perfectly satisfied with the effect, unless you also need to feel vibration on the platform for the feet also.

Like the Auras, the ADX Maximus is 50 watts as well. I have just two of them equidistant on one three-seat couch (connected in series) and they are great. I can't compare them to anything else since these are the first I've ever owned or even tried, but they're impressive for the size/power and I couldn't be happier. Everyone who experiences them for the first time love the effect, so I may get two more for the second theater sofa and connect them in series/parallel. I didn't have to spend thousands, but it sure feels like I did.

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
I will have power there but not enough for all 6.
How much power will you be running? If you have ~ 300 watts you should be good-to-go for six.

I suppose I could use the cat 6 I ran for baluns, and just split it but I see this causing a hum.
I think Parts Express has a ground loop hum eliminator that would fix that for around US$10.

Reactions: badjesus

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How much power will you be running? If you have ~ 300 watts you should be good-to-go for six.
QUOTE]

Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking when I typed that. I have power for all 6, and then some. But I didn't think I would have enough of other lines to send signal to them in any proper way.

I am seriously thinking about the ADX and then IF it doesn't work, I would then do each chair.

Thanks guys!

If anyone else has any other ideas, I am still open.

To answer why I wasn't thinking of doing each chair, it was more of a cool factor. Also, the chairs I have right now are NOT good quality.

In my previous theater, I had mounted them in the chairs, and when it was in the chair there were far too many noises (vibrations of the reclining mechanism, etc).
That was also with decent Eztia chairs. Now I have some REALLY cheap flimsy chairs for now. So because I had noise in the Eztia's, I think built a platform and tried mounting it in there. It worked perfectly! And at that time we were only using 2 for the actual platform.

Also, in the previous platform (It was built a lot lighter with 2x4 construction and single sheet of plywood) it was cool to have the entire platform vibrate. There is really NO function whatsoever, it is just the "can it be done" factor. It is a huge platform, fully isolated from the walls and floors. It was just a "Wow, that is badass" factor :)

The problem is, with ALL other gear, it is at the bottom of the priority. So going over on speakers, planning for atmos, getting control4 in, not to mention all of the finishes... it is just to the point now where $2k is too much to justify. I could get all buttkickers I think for $1400 Canadian shipped, but then the amps to run them..... I am not even sure where I would start. The BK amp is far too expensive. I know there are some people that run Pyle's from parts express, but then I always wonder..... how well?

I dunno, the unknowns are the killer. Ideally, I would just go for it and have 4 BK's and 4 BK amps. But that would actually be well over $2k.

·
Premium Member
5,553 Posts
maybe I missed it, but Clark transducers a giant step over the Aura's in performance without the Crowsons ooutta site pricing

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
maybe I missed it, but Clark transducers a giant step over the Aura's in performance without the Crowsons ooutta site pricing
I have heard A LOT of good things about the Clark.. the space ship looking transducers... but unless I am looking at the wrong places they are BARELY any cheaper than the BK's and I have heard they are also more power hungry which makes the net cost (once you power them) a wash with the BK's.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Interesting, you think the Aura's are that good, hey? I have heard so many people say that if ButtKickers were a 5/5 then Auras woudl be more like a 0.1/5

If they are that good, they are definitely worth the try. Even if I have to put more of them. 10 Auras are the cost of ONE ButtKicker.

Inside the platform, (doesn't show in the photo) are access hatches that I will also cut the carpet out around. I had never thought of bolting the seats to the ground but I really like this idea. That should help. I was thinking I should probably not put ANY underlay on the platforms? Just carpet?
I have 8 UM 18's in the HT and 8 Aura pro's. Even with the 8 UM 18's, there is a very noticeable increase in tactile sensation with movies. I power them with an I Nuke 3000 DSP amp. I can't imagine much more tactile in the HT without it feeling like some theme park rides. Then I would have to charge admission, lol.

The Aura Pro and Buttkicker are two different beast, looking at the spec's. If you want something to enhance the subs and seem more natural, then the Aura Pro. If you want is to shake the crap out of you, then the Buttkicer is needed. Some people will definitely know the seats are wired so, it may not blend as well with the subs.

I guess the choice may come down to how much wooferage you have to go with any of the transducers?

Parts Express also has anothe transducer that is blue colored and suppose to very nice. Same cost as the Aura Pros.

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
Parts Express also has anothe transducer that is blue colored and suppose to very nice. Same cost as the Aura Pros.
The blue ones are the ADX Maximus.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.