AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago I received a call from a gentleman identifying himself as a Technical Editor for the Wall Street Journal. He had found my name on the web in an Epinions review I had done on the Infocus X1, and since he was doing an article on home theater for the Tech section of the Journal, he wanted some feedback about the unit and home theater in general.

I gave him some feedback about the projector and my experiences with it, and he left me with a promise that he'd email me when the article hit press. He said to expect "a sentence or two." A sentence or two? Even my name in the Wall Street Journal and I'd be happy as a clam.

A couple months went by and I hadn't heard from him. I did a search on my name on the web for another project I was working on and ran across this link. Lo and behold, I had an entire paragraph in the Journal. Unfortunately, I never saw it though, nor did I smell the fresh ink, caress the newsprint, or buy five copies for my mother.

The article wasn't even online at all by the time I found the Google link, which had been syndicated and picked up by the Daily Herald in Suburban Chicago.

New home projectors create giant screens

BY JASON DEAN AND GARY MCWILLIAMS The Wall Street Journal

Posted September 01, 2003

Here's the link if you want - BE SURE TO CLICK THE link beneath the byline labeled "CACHED" if you want to see it!

http://www.google.com/search?q=New+h...+giant+screens

Otherwise, you'll have to take my word for it: I had my 15 minutes of fame, and I missed it!

"the" Matt Chroust :)

P.S. I did plug AVSFORUM during the interview, I guess it just didn't "take."

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Matt, I'm sure they sell back issues of their paper. You should look into it. It would look nice framed and matted in your home theater!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Matt, I couldn't find the article in the cache, past 7-day search of: New home projectors create giant screens :(

So what did you think of the X1? I plan on getting one.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Of course, in newswriting style a paragraph rarely contains more than one or two sentences, especially if it's a quote. APA Format is very strict on quotes.

If you're quoting a source, that quote is required to have it's own paragraph. You also have to use the person's name AFTER the first part of the quote but BEFORE the verb. For example:

"I really like my X1," Gurglesplatt, an intergalatic home theater enthusiast from the planet TX139, said. "It looks great!"

Flip through a newspaper. Every quote will look almost exactly like that. Minus the intergalatic home theater enthusiast part.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I am a intergalatic home theater enthusisast. How goes it Mad Milkman?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by hometheaterguy
Matt, I couldn't find the article in the cache, past 7-day search of: New home projectors create giant screens :(

So what did you think of the X1? I plan on getting one.
It's there, you just need to follow the reference link and click on the Google's cache of the item, not the newspaper's archive.

X1 is the Volkswagen of home theater - basic no frills transportation to the intergalactic theater zone. Some are bothered by rainbows, I can see them if I want to, but I'm never bothered. You need good lighting control given the relatively low light output. Other than those restrictions, four extraterrestrial thumbs up!

Regards,

Matt

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Thanks Matt. Looks like the X1 is a great introduction to the DLP world.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by memobug
X1 is the Volkswagen of home theater - basic no frills transportation to the intergalactic theater zone.
What a HORRIBLE analogy. If you knew anything about cars, you would know that Volkswagen's these days are some of the most fun cars to drive today, sepecially when compared to Honda's, Saturn's, and just about any car in it's class. You should really clarify your reasoning or else you show your age with comments like that!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Don't worry, the novelty of saving your name in print wears off after 20 years or so. :)

In some deep, dark box somewhere, I have several old Apple II programming magazines featuring my old programming articles. Never look at them anymore.

:)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JimWCB
Don't worry, the novelty of saving your name in print wears off after 20 years or so. :)

In some deep, dark box somewhere, I have several old Apple II programming magazines featuring my old programming articles. Never look at them anymore.

:)
I'm surprised you can even remember that far back!

:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.