AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I missed out on the buy.com promo that would have gotten me a 5040 for $120. The best I've seen so far is still buy.com at $140. Any better deals?

I've been procrastinating and going back and forth on if I should just add another 4500 series to my existing 4508, or if I should get two new 5040s and sell off the 4508. I'm interested in the new features of the 5000, including the added stability and possible new features of Alcatraz. It sounds like they've gotten the 50xx problems worked out, but if anyone wants to talk me into staying with my 4500, I'm all ears.

Also, any idea how long 5000 series units should still be available? I'm afraid to wait too much longer or they'll all be gone, and I'd like to get a new one with the supposedly improved fan (yes, I realize it's luck of the draw).

Anyway, is $140 the best deal I'm going to find?

-Brian

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
The Replay site outlet store is selling a NEW 5040 w/Activation included for $400 +S/H after MIR. Not too bad and you get the full warranty!
ReplayTV

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I bought more refurbs with lifetime activation than I need. I might be willing to sell one. PM or email me if interested.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Replay is actually offering free shipping one 5040s with lifetime @ $400 (after rebate). I just need to wait for my next credit card cycle before getting another one ;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, well, still haven't beaten $140 for the new 5040s on buy.com ($399 from replay direct is $10 more). I'm also not sure I want to get them with lifetime now due to cash flow issues. If I'm going to get 5040s, I'm going to need to buy two and I'd rather do monthly for now and (maybe) go lifetime later. However, if I find a better deal on a 5040 that includes lifetime, I'd go ahead and spend the money now. If I stick with the 4xxx series, then I could certainly do lifetime now, but if I'm buying two new 5000 units, I'd prefer to wait.

kelliot, I'm concerned about the refurb issues people have had and had generally decided I'd rather go ahead and pay for a new one. Plus, I'm hoping that I'd get lucky when buying new ones and end up with the quieter ones that Lyndon has mentioned. But if you've got a refurb that you've used for a bit and are sure is ok, I'd consider it if the price was right. It'd have to be lower than $390, since I can get a new one w/lifetime for that.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has any idea how long 5000s are likely to still be in the channel? I don't want to wait too long. : )

-Brian

·
Registered
499 Posts
moeronn: Why not use "Bill Me Later" as the payment option on Buy.com? That way you can get one before it goes out of stock.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you're planning on opening it up for whatever reason (silence the fan.. if you get a noisy one,.. or upgrade the HD) you'd be better of buying the non-lifetime version. That way if you have to have repairs and they say they can't fix it, you'd only be out the $140~. I waited about 2 weeks before opening mine up.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bkrodgers
...It sounds like they've gotten the 50xx problems worked out...-Brian
I spend my days watching it and my nights fixing constant problems, there are bugs still. I have two, a refurb that had a problem that I was able to fix and a new one that won't update properly, VERY ANNOYING!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think the RTV deal of a new 5040 with lifetime activation for $400 with free shipping sounds pretty good. I just got one off of Amazon for $199-$50 rebate. Since I activated it lifetime, the net is still $400, but with the RTV deal you don't even have to fiddle with the rebate.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by MethodMachine
I think the RTV deal of a new 5040 with lifetime activation for $400 with free shipping sounds pretty good. I just got one off of Amazon for $199-$50 rebate. Since I activated it lifetime, the net is still $400, but with the RTV deal you don't even have to fiddle with the rebate.
What deal are you talking about? The new 5040 that Replay is selling for $399 is after a $50 mail-in rebate. Are you talking about something else?

-Brian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.