AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got in some Barco 808S with Iris2 today. Had never played with the Iris before. Pretty cool, set up your basic green geometry, tell Iris to go to town, come back 10 min later, the unit is converged. Not perfect mind you but pretty darn close. Touch up and you are done in under 30 min including the initial setup.

Now I have to find one of these for a 1209.

Terry

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Try an NEC XG with ACAT, no camera, and done in about 20seconds. Same condiitons, do your basic green geometry, then converge 14 points of red and blue, push end, and it does the rest of the screen in about 20 seconds. Pretty cool. If you do it 2 or 3 times in a row, it is pretty much as good as by hand.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Terry,

The only problem with the Iris circuit is that it uses only the fine convergence, totally ignoring the coarse mode. In factory training, it is drilled into you that coarse convergence must be done first to prevent exceeding the fine adjustment range. If you touch up the convergence, note the values near the edges and corners. The farther from the midpoint, the more work the convergence amp has to do (and more likely to drift).

Ken Whitcomb

Now Photo Research PR-650 equipped!

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point Ken.

I would also assume that the better the physical mounting is the better the convergence comes out.

Terry

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Not only "the better the physical mounting" but also attention to mechanical convergence and setup makes for a pj that can be watched almost from the minute you fire it up....stability.

You can tell alot about mechanical setup by the position of the basic electronic adjustments...if most are around the centered (default) position then a good mechanical setup has been done, and the pj works at a higher effeciency.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Wow, these things actually work?! I got one with my 1209 when I bought it from Curt. I tried it when I first got it, after 5 minutes of moving lines on the screen I aborted it and converged it myself. I completely forgot about the Iris, but have to move the pj to another room soon. I'll give it a chance and try it then. :)

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ones I have are the Iris2, and they work quite well. Just let it run and do it's thing after the physical setup.

Terry

·
Registered
244 Posts
What about the ACONII on the Marquees ? It seems to be doing an OK job. I still need to use the "random access" manual convergence to fine tune it by hand after, but it takes just a few minutes.

Is there any reason not to use it ?

Rob

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I always thought the ACON worked superbly on my Vision One, too.

Which NEC projectors had the ACAT system?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.