AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a difference a year makes. With all the gripes and wishlists and so on, let me pause for a moment. Last night, I had to choose between Full Metal Jacket on INHD1, an awesome space show on INHD2, Monday Night Football on ABC-HD, The Yankees / Orioles game on Comcast SportsNet HD, and this does not even mention the movies on Showtime HD and HBO-HD, as well as the OTA channels!!!

I recognize many do not have this vast selection yet, but this growing snowball is rolling down the hill fast and gaining momentum. Hang in there. At least here in Baltimore County, it is starting to feel like there is no reason to watch anything other than HD anymore.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stonepran
As someone said before, we are in the golden age of hdtv.

I'm sure some of the people in here remember when the first color shows came on TV :)
Unfourtunatley I do and this is every bit as good

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 1080iAddict
... I recognize many do not have this vast selection yet, but this growing snowball is rolling down the hill fast and gaining momentum...
The HD snowball is gaining momentum much faster than color did in its infancy.

·
Registered
702 Posts
btw, are the movies uncut in INHD?

my local comcast wasnt sending out the signal last nite...

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I'm of the opinion that INHD may be one of the biggest catalysts for the future of HD. A LOT of people are going to be seeing/receiving these 2 channels, and are going to want everything in HD. I think this is a watershed event here, folks!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I was not part of the B/W transformation into color, but I assume people watched shows simply because they were in color. Now that part would be history repeating itself, because I watched penguins on INHD2 for 45 minutes last night. And let me tell you, there was no sex, violence, car chase scenes, or foul language. Just tons of penguins doing penguin stuff. They weren't even having sex. And I was just staring at it like a deer in headlights.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
There's enough on in HD now that I won't watch a show just because it is in HD. However, I probably am a bit more likely to *try* a program because it is in HD -- and I've gotten hooked up "Reba", "Smallville", and "Judging Amy" because of that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What slinky said.!!!!!!!!

I too find myself watching things i would never have watched in SD. I never watch sports unless its one of my teams but now i will watch whatever game is on in HD. I dont even like tennis and ended up watching that whole cappriotti vs Henin-hardine match live. It was a hell of a match.!!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Slinky11
Really, I find myself watching the dumbest stuff that I would NEVER watch in SD...
hehe...i do that too! i never watch "According to Jim", but i did the other night b/c it's in HD. of course, this excitement should fade somewhat as i just got my HD setup last week.

what sucks is, i have 3 ReplayTV's (that only record in SD--obviously), so the wife and i have picked one show per night to watch in HD...all others are recorded...yup, we watch a lot of TV :).

sturmie

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Slinky11
Really, I find myself watching the dumbest stuff that I would NEVER watch in SD, this is awesome.
High definition TV is like steak sauce - it makes even mediocre stuff worth consuming :)

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
lol @ fsugino...

so true...I watched 15mins last nite of some artist on PBS painting a star-scape - over and over again (for about a year - 9 times!). The woman was obviously a loon, but the pq was soo good...

Rich

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I still watch more SD than HD. There's far better material on average in SD (Coupling on BBCA, Junkyard Wars on TLC, SPEED channel racing, local baseball, etc), even though I have nine HD channels.

Content is by far more important than pretty pictures.

On the other hand, I'm watching more HD than ever. And I'm ready for more. :)

·
Registered
983 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael St. Clair
...even though I have nine HD channels.
nine?!? u lucky dog :)...i only have 5, but what i really want is ESPN for the college/pro football games...of course w/ hockey starting up again, it'd be nice to check out some of those games as well--c'mon Insight (Columbus, OH), get on the ball already!

sturmie

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by PPS
1080iAddict

There may have not been any foul language in that Penguin show you watched but I sure there was plenty of fowl language you didn't understand.:D
lol !! How do you say "get that $*#$%*! Hi Def camera out of my face" in penguinese???

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 1080iAddict
Well, I was not part of the B/W transformation into color, but I assume people watched shows simply because they were in color. Now that part would be history repeating itself, because I watched penguins on INHD2 for 45 minutes last night. And let me tell you, there was no sex, violence, car chase scenes, or foul language. Just tons of penguins doing penguin stuff. They weren't even having sex. And I was just staring at it like a deer in headlights.
This speaks to the power of the penguin. -- as does the following, last weekend at the local zoo, i saw a group of Italian college age girls break out into somewhat of a provocative dance in front of /for teh penguins.. i wish had that in hd :) And i wish i understood Italian as i would to have loved to know what there were thinking and why they were doing that..

And don't look a penguin in the eye. ;)

but seriously i think hd makes me more interested in certain content then i otherwise would be . And therefore likely or more likely to watch. and i do not necessarily seeing this effect wearing off like a novelty, as while it has lessened it is still there after two years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.