AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year, they do this "Parade of Homes" thing here and it includes some of the really big ticket (for us, not you Californians) homes, over $1 million. Four of them claimed to have home theaters. All four were pathetic. Even when they did a nice room, they used crappy, out of date projectors that weren't set up right. I mean, I didn't see a single image that could compete with my long-in-the-tooth Sanyo XP21N which has been well tweaked. SHEESH! :confused:

·
Registered
652 Posts
I see this sort of thing around here too... I know several quite wealthy people who pride themselves in their dedicated theaters (being much more rare down here than in the States), and yet they almost invariably seem to have hideous PQ. It's not a matter of them having lousy projectors. They just seem to not give a toss about the image coming out of them.

Money can't buy taste, but it CAN get you skilled people who will make sure your theater is optimized. It'll always puzzle me that someone can have the drive to build a dedicated screening room and then totally neglect doing his homework as to what goes in it.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
My guess is that these people go to a shop and ask them for the best they have not having any clue what is out there. Since they have no reference point except for there TV, whatever they have is probably fine. Finally, since they probably spend a fortune on it, it has to be good

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Builders are usually as cheap as they come and only will spend money where it counts, regardless of the price tag of the home. There only concerns are return, what's the biggest bang for the buck. However in their defense, the "average" person who tours the Parade Of Homes would not know the difference btw a $2k PJ vs a $20K PJ. You could come close to throwing the cheapest crap in there and it would still WOW them to see a 80"+ image in a dedicated HT. Then comes the price tag, just because someone pays a million dollars for a house does not mean they wouldn't bark spending $50K plus for a HT. Heck most real nice HT's I see people having are in much more moderately priced homes.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
To build on Baja's point, a lot of times custom builders have several model homes to support. They do not like tying up all there money 12-18 months.

Something has to give. Make it look pretty as possible and cheap as possible. I almost forgot do not forget builders also like to get their 30% cut. ;) No sense in putting expensive equipment.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Most people are clueless. Just look around you for a few minutes ;)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DanHouck
Every year, they do this "Parade of Homes" thing here ....
In California it's called the "Stampede for Homes"

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I was looking around Houston a few months ago, and very expensive homes pride themselves on a big friggin box to put an RPTV in. They are everywhere. They take up 4 feet of depth in the room and generally make the installation of a projector impossible.

I've seen a couple with rooms for FP, usually a windowless room, with about a 100" diagonal screen, but the pj usually isn't even installed. They have rows of seats, on the usual terraced platforms, and maybe even a proscenium arch and a small stage, but a tiny screen. And usually a mile from the kitchen.

I just don't think builders are really in the loop yet. They've probably never seen a good picture for reasonably cheap. Heck, I bet a lot of folks on this board never have either.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Brains and money are inversely propertional.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I'm working hard to remedy that situation in my particular case.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Joe, you becoming stupid or getting rich? LOL

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Which is easier?

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd say it would be easier to become stupid (just hang with stupid people), than become rich.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yup, same thing happens here in Canada. I have rarely seen a home theater in a show home at all...and when you do see one they are pretty crappy.

We have a home show in my city every winter and there is a home theater presentation/room every year. Always disappointing with a poorly calibrated projector demo. Doesn't do much to promote this stuff and therefore bring down prices.

Also on this topic, I would note that most people are steered toward RPTV's without even being aware that projectors exist.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.