Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need to buy 2 20amp single pole breakers for my equipment and lighting in my ht. My breaker box is GTE Sylvania that was installed in 1980. As I have found out, Sylvania no longer makes breakers. So what should I do?? Any advice on where to get these would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ron

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is exactly what I need. Thank you very much. I did try searching, but didn't find that site. Thanks again.

Ron

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Ron, just go to your local Lowe's or Home Depot. The 1" breakers are interchangeable. Use GE, Siemens, Murray, Square-D Homeline, Cutler-Hammer BR, etc.

These will cost you between $3 and $4 each.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Larry,

GREAT!! I thought I had to have the breaker that matched my panel. Great to know that I don't. I will go to HD and pick up a couple then. Thanks Again!!

Ron

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Fine
Ron, just go to your local Lowe's or Home Depot. The 1" breakers are interchangeable. Use GE, Siemens, Murray, Square-D Homeline, Cutler-Hammer BR, etc.

These will cost you between $3 and $4 each.
But larry, I'm sure you know the code on this one. The breaker must be LISTED for use in the panel. They really cracked doen on this about 10 years ago. Origionally they wanted only the manufactures brand in a panel but then allowed listed substitites as well.

Now we all know most similar looking breakers are compatable but depending on your inspector, it could be an issue. I put a few Murray breakers in my obsolete Crouse-Hinds panel. The inspector didn't even blink. But that's my inspector.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at my panel and breakers do not look like the ones listed on the link above or like the common one found at HD or Lowes. I did find one at Lowes that looked like them(they are skinnier than the "normal" breaker) and they were made by GE. I don't know if the connectors are the same though. Anyone else have any ideas??

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
These are not skinny funny looking multi-colored breakers are they like blue, red, green? If so they are actually Zinsco breakers, which are known to fail after about 15 years and not trip. Brian

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Usabrian,

Bingo, that is exactly what they are. They are different colored for the different amp ratings(15, 20, 30...). So what do you recommend?? Is there any where I can buy Zinsco breakers?? Is there an alternative to them?? Thanks for identifing them!

Ron

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Try here , and go to "switched separately", which is a little cheaper per pole.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is the difference between the switched separately and the non-switched separately?? I can get a a twin 20 amp (non swithced separatley) and 2 single pole 15amp breakers off ebay for under 10.00, but the twin is not a switched separately type. What is the difference between the 2 besides I would have to kill power to both circuit if one trips??

Thanks!

BTW, I opened up my panel last night, and those are the exact ones I have.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
That is the difference. The double-pole breakers are for 240-volt circuits. If you don't mind the common trip, you can use them for two 120-volt circuits, or pry out the handle tie. The eBay package is a good deal. Go for it!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I would recommend that you either replace all the breakers or have them tested to make sure they still trip. For more info on this you might do some searches on the web for Zinsco and Fire Hazards or Issues or Problems, etc. Brian

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Usabrian,

Well, we just bought this house within the last year and had it inspected by an inspector that was recommended to us. I was there during the inspection and he did a great job. I spend some time examining the panel and breakers and said everything seemed to be fine. I know the some of them work for sure as I have accidently trip a couple from time to time. But I think in the future I might replace the panel with a different one. Right now, I will just try the breakers I got off ebay and see how they work. Thanks for all the information.

Ron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.