·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they exist? Or can I daisy-chain?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Can't be done. Why in the world would you need such a thing?

·
Registered
766 Posts
If you are wanting to mount your DVD drive inside the HT so you don't hear the HTPC while watching a movie, use a firewire or USB external DVD drive.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a IDE to USB 2 converter. That way I can at least extend a USB cable.

It was $5 on eBay plus $15 to ship. Anyone use one of these?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver
If you are wanting to mount your DVD drive inside the HT so you don't hear the HTPC while watching a movie, use a firewire or USB external DVD drive.

I did this for my setup using Firewire with a Sony external DVD drive. Everything worked great except for when playing movies. I never figured out why after anywheres from 10minutes to an hour into a movie it would randomly stop & flag a warning saying it couldn't find the DVD drive. I would then have to restart my computer to get it to work again. I am using PowerDVD 6.0.

My computer was close enough that I was able to use a 24" IDE cable with an older DVD drive. No more issues.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver
Or better yet, since video can run much longer distances, move the PC. Mine's across the room in a rack mounted in a closet. 50 feet of s-video cable feeds the TV. As well as running audio and channel 3 (rf) over coax. Most of the time I just watch the RF signal but for HT viewing I fire up the 7.1 amp and don't even use the speakers on the TV.

But as has been answered, there's no way to run IDE anything more than about 2 feet MAX. If you want further you'd have to use either USB or Firewire, be SURE to use a good PCI card for it and don't daisy chain a bunch of things on one hub if you want real performance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.