AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a 5.1 system for my bedroom. My budget is $500 for speakers, including the sub. They will be paired most likely with a Pioneer 1018 receiver.These are the systems I have come up with so far.

Mirage Nanoset 5.0 set - $249

Velodyne VX10 or Polk SW10 - $149

or

Yamaha NS-125's -$199

Yamaha Center for 125's - $65

Yamaha Bookshelf speakers $79

Velodyne VX10

or

More money - Mirage Omnisat v2 $600

VX-10- $149

I guess I want to know if it is worth it for me to go to the Omnisats?

Any more recommendations?

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can still get an EMP HTP-351 5.1 bookshelf speaker from the Audioholics store as of 1/5/09 noon (central time). It is an excellent speaker system on sale for a limited time at about 60% off. If you are interested in it go to the link below (near the end of the posts) and find the post from Exit9. There are links there to reviews and other information as well as the AH website.

My brother bought one of these systems on my recommendation (and others) and we were both pleased with the deal and the sound quality.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=15447664

·
Premium Member
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the links.

I at least know the Energy's the other brand I have to research. I think if I do satellites, I will probably stick to the Mirages as they are pretty small and I can hang them on the wall, without them calling too much attention to themselves.

I am actually checking out the towers systems in both sets of links. The only thing I would prefer are tower speakers over 39" (I measured)so the speakers will be taller than my bed and I will not loose highs and imaging. The Energy's come close, but may fall short.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor /forum/post/15465467

Thanks for the links.

I at least know the Energy's the other brand I have to research. I think if I do satellites, I will probably stick to the Mirages as they are pretty small and I can hang them on the wall, without them calling too much attention to themselves.

I am actually checking out the towers systems in both sets of links. The only thing I would prefer are tower speakers over 39" (I measured)so the speakers will be taller than my bed and I will not loose highs and imaging. The Energy's come close, but may fall short.

You can always do a DIY floorstander stand if you're handy with woodwork/metal.

·
Premium Member
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish I could but don't have a place to woodwork and it's cold outside.

Anyone like the Nanosats or Omnisats ?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The Nanosats and Omnisats are great speakers, but they can't push as much air as bookshelf speakers. There are tons to choose from, but I'll throw a couple of options out there. An Ascend HTM-200SE 5.0 setup (about $500 after all discounts and free shipping) and an HSU STF-1 (about $276 shipped right now). You can also check out some of the deals over at Av123 as they're having some blowouts on their Encore series.

·
Premium Member
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I figured I would offset the Nanosets or the Omnisets with at least a 10" sub as opposed to the 8" Mirage sub.

·
Registered
30,166 Posts
if you want tiny sats to wall-hang on a 5.1 bedroom system the Take Classic from Energy is hard to beat, you should be able to find it for under your $500 budget (check local Circuit City's going out of business). Unless you have a huge bedroom that will be plenty of volume.

google the reviews, it's pretty much the class leader for a tiny sat+sub package.

Mirage and Energy are made by the same group (API, now owned by Klipsch). Mirage specializes in bipolar/omnipolar speakers that give a very dispersed, nondirectional sound. Energy speakers tend to be very clear, neutral, and precise, and they have a long tradition of being class leaders in tiny speakers+sub setups.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I second batpig, that's a very good little system.

I've also heard good things about HSU's Ventriloquist sat/sub system, although I haven't personally heard that one.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have heard the original Take 5 system and if the classic version is as good, then I would highly recommend it, I really need to listen to the classic one day. As has been stated the orignials are nice and clear and I think would fit a bedroom set up nicely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts