AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so yesterday i got 5 little 3 inch speakers. They all have just the 2 bare positive and negative ends exposed. They are from a philips home theater system and i wanna hook them up to an amp then from the amp have an aux going to my phone. nothing fancy i just need to get the amp to get the job done. i know basic electronics soldering ect. how ever i am completely new to choosing amps. they are 4 ohm speakers, 3 inch. i just have the 5 little speakers(link: http://www.samstores.com/productdet...alDdp-UvJthsQSvMZBsGBqO7ivjqH5Hf2gaAmCf8P8HAQ)

I will mainly be listening to country music so not a lot of bass. Normally it will probably be around 1/2-3/4 volume. I pretty much know nothing about how to choose a correct amp. under 30-40 bucks would be great. Thanks for helping me out.

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
Ok so yesterday i got 5 little 3 inch speakers. They all have just the 2 bare positive and negative ends exposed. They are from a philips home theater system and i wanna hook them up to an amp then from the amp have an aux going to my phone. nothing fancy i just need to get the amp to get the job done. i know basic electronics soldering ect. how ever i am completely new to choosing amps. they are 4 ohm speakers, 3 inch. i just have the 5 little speakers(link: http://www.samstores.com/productdet...alDdp-UvJthsQSvMZBsGBqO7ivjqH5Hf2gaAmCf8P8HAQ)

I will mainly be listening to country music so not a lot of bass. Normally it will probably be around 1/2-3/4 volume. I pretty much know nothing about how to choose a correct amp. under 30-40 bucks would be great. Thanks for helping me out.
Lepai LP-2020A+ Tripath TA2020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier with Power Supply $26.95
Note :
2 ch stereo only

Impedance is 2- 8 ohms You can probably wire 4 speakers in parallel or series parallel ( which would be easier for the amp to drive )

Or get an inexpesive Logitec 5.1 they work suprisingly well in a small room the sub is quite suprising despite it's size it can fill a small room and play music better than 4 or 5 - 3 " speakers w/o a sub it can have 5.1 discrete channels or 2.0 to virtual 2.1 stereo and it will decode it into convincing surround if a surround signal is present like on games, TV or movies . It has a 3.5mm stereo or 3.5MM discrete 5.1 using 2- 3.5mm inputs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121044
sometimes you can pick up a refurb for ~ $52.00 .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lepai LP-2020A+ Tripath TA2020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier with Power Supply $26.95
Note :
2 ch stereo only

Impedance is 2- 8 ohms You can probably wire 4 speakers in parallel or series parallel ( which would be easier for the amp to drive )

Or get an inexpesive Logitec 5.1 they work suprisingly well in a small room the sub is quite suprising despite it's size it can fill a small room and play music better than 4 or 5 - 3 " speakers w/o a sub it can have 5.1 discrete channels or 2.0 to virtual 2.1 stereo and it will decode it into convincing surround if a surround signal is present like on games, TV or movies . It has a 3.5mm stereo or 3.5MM discrete 5.1 using 2- 3.5mm inputs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121044
sometimes you can pick up a refurb for ~ $52.00 .
Couple questions on that. I know parallel and series but what is series parallel. Just another name for series?

Also i will just need the lepia amp right? Not the second part. And when you say it is only 2 channels i am gonna have to wire them together(so parallel most likely) in a group of 2 and a group of 3?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so i ordered that amp. When i wire can i wire 3 speakers in parallel to one channel or will that over load the channel/whole amp. I know 2 will work. But since the speakers are so small will 3 be fine too?

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
Ok so i ordered that amp. When i wire can i wire 3 speakers in parallel to one channel or will that over load the channel/whole amp. I know 2 will work. But since the speakers are so small will 3 be fine too?
Without knowing each speaker ohm rating it's hard to say you could always do a series parallel at least one side,
( IOW I wouldn't parallel 3 on one side you might smoke the amp or trip the speaker prot . if it has any )

The amp has a pretty good range at 2 - 8 ohms just keep in mind if you hook up 2- 8 ohm speakers in parallel it presents 4 ohm load to the amp and so on .
Maybe 2 in series and one speaker parallel across those two on the 3 speaker side that *should present* a load equal to a single speaker by itself .

If the other side uses 2- 8 ohm speakers and presents 4 ohm load in parallel that is within the amps stated specs otoh 2- 4 ohm in series will present an 8 ohm load and *may be easier for the amp to drive . OTOH you could always upgrade your speakers later with the amp U ordered as long as you get some that are reasonably efficient .

Some of the Monoprice or Dayton 6.5" 2 ways work real well with those amps and don't cost a ton .Either one will work fine I've read the Dayton's are more room filling and have more bass and the Mono price are smother on the treble one is ported ,the other is sealed . . .

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_...90407&p_id=8250&seq=1&format=2#specifications

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--300-652

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe 2 in series and one speaker parallel across those two on the 3 speaker side that *should present* a load equal to a single speaker by itself .

So wire 2 speakers together in series, then wire 2 more in series. Then take the positive and hook it to the first set of speakers and take the negative and hook it to the second set of speakers? Or just 2 speakers in series then run the positive and negative of the third speaker parallel into that set of series speakers.

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
So wire 2 speakers together in series, then wire 2 more in series. Then take the positive and hook it to the first set of speakers and take the negative and hook it to the second set of speakers? Or just 2 speakers in series then run the positive and negative of the third speaker parallel into that set of series speakers.
Yes just 2 speakers in series then run the positive and negative of the third speaker parallel into each end of that pair of speakers.

On the other channel try two speakers in series first, see how it sounds ,if it needs little more on the 2 speaker side try them in parallel
if they are 8 ohms they will present a 4 ohm load just like the other (3 speakers in series parallel ) when 2 are wired in parallel on that channel with only 2 speakers .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes just 2 speakers in series then run the positive and negative of the third speaker parallel into each end of that pair of speakers.

On the other channel try two speakers in series first, see how it sounds ,if it needs little more on the 2 speaker side try them in parallel
if they are 8 ohms they will present a 4 ohm load just like the other (3 speakers in series parallel ) when 2 are wired in parallel on that channel with only 2 speakers .
Ok. I dont think this is gonna matter but when i am wiring the 3rd speaker into the series, should i take the ends and put them up at the wire clamps on the amp or at the speaker. So, clamp it in the amp or solder it at the speakers.

Now the speakers all ready have wires coming out and solder. I dont really wanna take their plastic speaker boxes/case apart. So is there a way i can use a multimeter to
Find out the negative wire and the positive wire?

Also thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Look at the wires. They have to be marked somehow. Even a stereo pair must be in phase. Some speaker wires have one lead marked w a series of plus signs. Others have differently colored wire or insulation. But you could not correctly wire even a single pair without some visual distinction between positive and negative

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Look at the wires. They have to be marked somehow. Even a stereo pair must be in phase. Some speaker wires have one lead marked w a series of plus signs. Others have differently colored wire or insulation. But you could not correctly wire even a single pair without some visual distinction between positive and negative
There are no markings on the wires. That is why i was wondering if i could use a multimeter. So i dot have to take all of them apart

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
When 2 full range stereo or mono speakers are 'in phase ' e,g. pushing and pulling together you will hear a fuller sound and usually more bass .

On your configuration I would phase your left and right channels individually first until the fullest sound is heard then the 2 stereo channels together by reversing the polarity on one or another of the speakers on each channel individually then the left and right channels together .

Note : as a precaution turn the amp off anytime you connect or disconnect a speaker .

On the 3rd speaker (only if you wire the other 2 on that channel in series (recommended with a third full range speaker ) just connect the 3rd speaker to the same two leads that are the pos and Neg at the amp on that channel and phase it in accordingly on that channel unless you did that prior to phasing the left and right channels combined .

See attachment below for 3 speakers wired in series parallel if you don't know the polarity they should each be phased in individually as described above .

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to everyone who helped me out. I got my amp today and it took bout 15-20 minutes to get it wired up and it works great. Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts