AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread earlier on my projector and a line streaking problem. After some help from a user, and testing on a PC, I have determined that I really *really* need an external scaler.

But heres the thing. The projector is only 640X480 resolution, so an XGA quality scaler is a waste of time. What I am after, holwever, is a good quality VGA scaler - *cheaply* which performs nicely - cheaply as in I paid $800 Aud ($400 USD) for the projector, so I don't want to have to spend more than half of that again...

So - any suggestions for scalers that will accept either S-Video or component video for under $200 USD that do a very nice job?

I have some examples of what I have found so far - anyone care to comment on these?

Gamars V Box - Svideo and 640X480
http://www3.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/pc/m_vgabox.htm

My preference-local supplier (I am in Australia), auto PAL NTSC switching etc - has Svideo (for DVD) and composite (for VCR/Telly) inputs, correct fixed resolution.

Copper Box - Key Digital Systems
http://www.copperbox.com/lite/popinf...neek=208916146

Okay (ish) no mention of Pal/NTSC, has component only (no good when I want to use with vcr or as TV.

**************** EDIT ***************************

This is not as it is being sold - copperbox describes this as "Key Digital automatic Y-Pr-Pb to RGBHV Transcoder." This implies that it converts composite to VGA - not so - from Key digital - http://www.keydigital.com/detail.asp...ct_id=KD-VTCA1 - "VGA (RGBHV) Input to Component (YPrPb)"

Oops... copper box made a typo?

The real converter from Key Digital is - http://www.keydigital.com/detail.asp...ct_id=KD-CTCA2 - "One Component to Two VGA Video Adapter"

Correct Price is $329.00 USD OUCH!! not $179 :(

I have emailed copperbox to confirm this.

Has anyone here tried the gamars Vbox, or do I have to buy one and try it out :)

Cheers

Heath Young

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Note, those keydigital converters are not supposed to be scalers. All they do is transcode.

You better go with something like iScan PRO that has all 3 inputs - component, SVideo and composite (and PAL/NTSC support). It is a deinterlacer - so it outputs 480p, exactly what you need.

It can be had for around $500.

The older units (e.g., iScan+ and iScan V1) are also not bad, but no component inputs or PAL support. Street price is lower than iScan PRO.

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
Since you only need 480x640 output (or 480p in video terms) then your starting point should be to look for an iScan Plus on eBay. A used one of the original version can found for less than $300 and a new version 2 for around $450. The iScan Pro version adds video controls for color, hue, contrast, brightness and currently sells for about $650 new-discounted (again check eBay listings).

Ron Jones
www.dtvmax.com

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys - but I was really wondering how good those *cheap* scalers for PC use were - has anyone played with them yet?

A transcoder (rather than a scaler) - I take it that this doesn't scale the video to the correct resolution, and so will pass through the internal video scaler in the projector... darn...

The thing is, I am trying to do this on a budget - I have paid $400 for the projector (LP550) and the video scaling problem annoys me. So, I wanted to bypass the internal scaler with something that would perform this function reasonably well, cheaply.

I will look into the Iscan Plus - hopefully I can get one for a decent price.

BTW - I contacted copperbox and they confirmed that the price is $179 - I was wrong :(

But as people said, it is simply a transcoder...

Thanks

Heath Young

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.