AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I need some help finding an external Dolby Digital decoder with a remote volume control that is as cost effective as possible.

I found this Creative unit from 2004 that no longer seems to be available save used on Ebay: DDTS-100 (sorry I cant put in a URL yet until 5 posts). It is no longer sold it seems but was around $130-$150 when it was available. (I don't know the MSRP per forum rules as it is no longer sold by Creative)

It is/was perfect for my needs which are a Dolby Digital/PCM input with 5.1 preamp outputs and a remote volume control. No video processing, just audio. I realize there are and in fact own more expensive preamplifiers with 5.1 in/out but I don't want to drag one around, this is a portable application with no video and external amplifiers/speakers that I have to use.

Any recommendations for alternatives? Thank you for any advice you might have.

·
Registered
30,817 Posts
Only discontinued/used. Technics, Yamaha, JVC made them. I have a Technics SH-AC500D which will fill the bill. See them on eBay in the $100-150 range.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I have a Sony EP9ES, I use this with an old system. Does DD, many sound fields, few coax and a few optical connections. 5.1 rca inputs and 5.1 rca outputs, EQ.

Great piece of equipment. Try that on part# on ebay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
None of the Sony's at the moment. I'll keep looking. Any recommendations on an overly affordable regular preamp processor with volume controlled 5.1 analog outputs? I'm thinking this probably jumps into the $1k range but hopefully I'm wrong.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Also Sony SDP-E800. It actually did a pretty good job at DD, but it did not have DTS decoding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kal,

Thanks for posting the Technics model number. That unit looks perfect and the ebay quantity and price seem just right, there are 4+ of them listed now. I'm off to do my best to snag one.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.