AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Consumer Search.com lists several Onkyo systems as the best home theatre systems aka HTIB, but I'm curious what system will be the best overall sound and value, using my Playstation 3 as my game system, Blu-ray, DVD, and CD player, and using my Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR4 1080p LCD HDTV for my display. I know some of the Onkyo's don't have HDMI, but I'm wondering if this is really necessary for good audio quality. I have HDMI from my PS3, and also from my HD DVR cable box going into my 46XBR4. Any suggestions or recommendations will be extremely helpful.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
You'll need a system with a receiver capable of passing audio over HDMI for the new HD audio formats, HD audio can't be passed over optical or coaxial cables. Since you have the PS3 you'll probably want this. For a system with full audio and video capabilities with HDMI look at the Onkyo 908.

If you're not concerned with HD audio the Onkyo 800 is a great system, lots of feature but doesn't handle audio over HDMI, it's HDMI is video switching only, they also have the 600 and 700 systems which are more budget minded with no HDMI capability.

Other than that any of the onkyo or yamaha systems are widely recommended because of the quality receivers they include in their systems.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredfantom /forum/post/12892495

Consumer Search.com lists several Onkyo systems as the best home theatre systems aka HTIB, but I'm curious what system will be the best overall sound and value, using my Playstation 3 as my game system, Blu-ray, DVD, and CD player, and using my Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR4 1080p LCD HDTV for my display. I know some of the Onkyo's don't have HDMI, but I'm wondering if this is really necessary for good audio quality. I have HDMI from my PS3, and also from my HD DVR cable box going into my 46XBR4. Any suggestions or recommendations will be extremely helpful.

I have a nearly identical setup and had the same dilemma with the Onkyo systems, but decided to save some money and go with the Yamaha YHT-380 which I picked up for $299 at BB. Used optical hookups from PS3 and FIOS STB to YHT-380, HDMI from PS3 and STB to XBR4. They look and sound great! Plus, the benefit is that the wife and kids do not have to use the surround sound or switch anything other than the TV's own input. Awesome value/compromise, IMHO.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/12892540

You'll need a system with a receiver capable of passing audio over HDMI for the new HD audio formats, HD audio can't be passed over optical or coaxial cables. Since you have the PS3 you'll probably want this. For a system with full audio and video capabilities with HDMI look at the Onkyo 908.

So is this why I can't get a 5.1 signal when watching Blu Ray movies on my Ps3? (Using the HDMI output to the Xbr4's HDMI Input. Then using the optical Output from the Xbr4 to the Home Theatre system)

No matter what software settings I use on the Bluray disc, the audio always remains Stereo, and then the Home Theatre converts it to a enhanced Surround sound.

The only way I've been able to get around this is by disconnecting the optical Out from the Xbr4 and plugging it into the Ps3. Then I have to change the software settings on the Ps3 to output audio thru the optical Out instead of using HDMI. After doing this a couple of times it becomes a pain.

Ditch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts