AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need about a 40' RCA cable for my subwoofer from the LFE output of my receiver. What is the best way to go about putting one of these together?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Go to HD and get yourself some RG6. Next, go to Radioshack and get yourself some RCA male ends and a solder iron (if you don't already have one). Solder the connectors to the end of your RG6 and you have yourself a custom cable.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I still say that RG-59, thinner, more flexible, and easier to attach RCA's to, is fine.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You could also buy a 50 ft RG-59 with CATV ends on it for about ten bucks and get a threaded adapter to go to RCA for another 2 bucks (no soldering).

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I'd agree with usehername. For my second sub digital coaxial cable I needed a 25' run, ultimately it was only $1 more buying a retail RCA coaxial cable with the ends already on and then $5 for a pair of ends.

If you want EXACTLY 40' then yeah maybe get some RG59 or RG-6 but it's not necessary and if you aren't good with a soldering iron just use some good twist on ends. I've made several cables like that now and they have turned out great.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your input, but seconds after I posted this, I found an eBay sale for one that fiit my needs for 10 bucks. I tried to remove the post, but to no avail.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Actually, I am happy to see this link, as I am trying to figure out how to run my LFE cable through the walls, and I just coiled up a long section of RG6 cable from a previous project. So signal transmission is not an issue as long as you solder on the connectors? I plan to run LFE from RCA jack to several RCA jacks on the other side of the room to plug in my subwoofer and a couple bass shaker jacks.

How do you get a good solder on the RG6 instead of using crimp on connectors?

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
I don't think I've ever bought RG in less than 250' rolls (QS-RG6). :) In fact, I think I now have a habit of buying any wire in 250' and greater rolls. Now, if they would just make some heat-shrink tubing in 100' lengths for 4xQSRG6+2xCAT5e I'd be set.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Why are you using video cable to connect audio components??

Plain old multistrand electrical wire .. say 12 gauge .. will work just fine. If it's in-wall, use fire-rated insulated cable.

Ron Yost

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ron:

My subwoofer uses an RCA connection from my receiver. I suppose I could attach RCA connectors to the ends of speaker wire, but why not use what was intended?

·
Registered
238 Posts
No reason not to, I suppose. It's just that RG cable for speaker wires is ... well .. silly, from an engineering point of view. Ordinary two-conductor 'zip cord' speaker wire is way more than adequate for home use. Honestly, it is. Speaker wire isn't 'cool' these days, but that's only because a few clever folks have figured out how to buffalo other folks out of their $$$. Same goes for banana plugs for connecting speakers .. pure marketing b.s. But, again, they LOOK cool.

That's all I'm saying. Folks pay waaaaaay too much for non-necessary and vastly overpriced cables and connectors these days .. maybe I'm jealous that -I- didn't think of nonsensical gold connectors and so-called oxygen free cable. :) It's pure snake-oil marketed by voodoo tech. statements .. really, it is.

Know what real pro audio (not audiophool consumer stuff) uses for speaker wire? Ordinary multistrand electrical wire, just like one can get on those big spools at any home center. Go in the wall of any motion picture theatre, for example, and that's what you'll find in the walls. There's not a gold-plated connector in sight, either .. except, possibly, for some special-venues where water is around (tho I've never seen them used even there). I'm not kidding. You guys are paying for nothing .. but looks, and ego. :)

Sorry for the rant, but I really hate to see folks getting ripped-off.

Ron Yost

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I paid 4.99 for a 50' RCA cable. Don't have to mess around with attaching connectors. I'm sure that it is just black speaker wire with molded ends on it.

Pointing and clicking and having it show up in the mailbox three days later sure beats going down to Radio Shack and having to not tell them my phone number (wait, I forgot. They don't do that any more. Now they just want your zip!).

BTW: I have paid very little, I think, for the cabling I have bought. I think the most I have spent was around 20 bucks for a 30' component video cable. The others including a 100' S video cable have all been less than 10 plus a little for shipping.

I hear (no pun intended) what you are saying about what I assume you are talking about - Monster cable. You can talk yourself into anything, and I suppose there are folks out there who will go to their graves smug in the knowledge that their highly trained ears could tell the difference between the sound of music carried by one stranded copper wire compared to another stranded copper wire. More power to them and let's all raise a glass to the power of marketing!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Ron, the RG-6 coax is for a low level signal to the sub not a high level one as it is to passive speakers where you would need the parallel twin strand speaker cable. Also it would be pretty tough to try to solder an RCA plug to 12 AWG zip cord :)

Chris, the RG-6 cable you bought is not speaker wire but instead coax with an F connector on it most likely. I use the same stuff for my sub.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Canare LV77s is an amazingly flexible, stranded conductor, double shielded, coaxial cable. I bought a spool for making interconnects. Very nice for interconnects, or short runs of video. I believe it is RG6 size, but has transmission characteristics closer to RG59 because of the stranded core.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I highly doubt my 25' RG-59 retail coaxial cable I bought at Home Depot for $7.96cdn with the two F-Type to RCA connectors I bought for $5 would be considered by most people as an indulgent speaker cable purchase. :) The one nice thing for LFE using a RG-6 or RG-59 cable is the all in one, well sheilded cable that I don't have to worry about.

·
Registered
484 Posts
In my case, I am interested in using RG6 only because I have extra cable from another project, instead of buying new cable.

My most expensive cable thus far is my component cable from Radio Shack, $50, but I do believe that video signal loss through component is improved with gold upgraded connectors. Though I could be wrong.

For those who have used RG6 for their subwoofer, how did you make the connection with the RCA connectors purchased from Radio Shack?

Help please???

·
Registered
268 Posts
Christer: 100 ft is a pretty long run for S-video. Is that to a CRT by chance?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Quote:
Know what real pro audio (not audiophool consumer stuff) uses for speaker wire? Ordinary multistrand electrical wire, just like one can get on those big spools at any home center. Go in the wall of any motion picture theatre, for example, and that's what you'll find in the walls. There's not a gold-plated connector in sight, either .. except, possibly, for some special-venues where water is around (tho I've never seen them used even there). I'm not kidding. You guys are paying for nothing .. but looks, and ego.
I love when people say what "pro audio" uses....like at live venues and movie theaters...the sound there stinks...its just loud. If all I wanted was loud, I too would use cheap wires and big ass horn speakers like they do.

Now I certainly do NOT have the $1000 interconnets, but I do have pretty expensive ones compared to DIY stuff, and I did demo them before I bought them, and I did reject some before I found the ones I liked. Same with the front speakers wire...the sides and rears were way too long for good stuff, I just used plain old 14 guage CL listed in wall wire.

I also ran two long sub connections using copper braided RG59...worked great and my sub sounds awsome using it.

Just be careful when using the words "pro audio", its more like "Commercial Audio". The stuff if maid to be loud and last a long time..that is it.

Now I can get off my soap box...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Pro Audio covers a LOT of territory .. including recording studios and mixing rooms, radio stations, not simply 'loud' commercial venues. It's clear you know nothing about it, fitsman.

I realize some of you are extremely indoctrinated with the b.s. from the audiophool companies. That's a real shame, because much of what they tell you is complete technical nonsense and hooey. The fact that speaker wire, of all things, has somehow taken on a mystical, elitist status shows how truly foolish people are. To 'stress' over the choice of something so basic as a speaker wire is just to silly .. and completely unnecessary.

P.T. Barnum was right. There's one born every minute.

Fact: Your speakers simply do not sound 'better' using anything other than regular stranded electrical wire. None, nada, 0-difference.

As long as there is a good physical connection, and the wire is sized properly to handle the current, there no possible way the -type- of wire is going to make -any- difference in the sound. It's not possible. Period.

The wiring is not going to somehow magically bring out a quality in any given speaker, or impart any of its own. Wire has no acoustic qualities, and it cannot in any way alter the acoustic character of a transducer. The only exception is if the wire is too small for the current feeding from the amp., which produces distortion, and distortion definitely kills speakers.

If you believe they sound better, good for you. If you enjoy wasting money, good for you. I'm simply saying it's not, in any way, necessary. You're falling for a con job. I realize it's gotten to be 'religion' to some. It's pure fantasy .. honestly, it is.

Ron Yost

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
usehername:

Re. the length of the S video cable. I need 100' due to the layout of my basement and the location of my DirecTV box. House is rectanular in shape. West half of basement is completely finished with walkout doors. East half is below grade and is two unfinished rooms that are used for strorage as well as access to HVAC.

I got a 15 yard dumpster delivered to the house, and proceeded to eliminate 15 years of crap throughout the whole house. Filled it to the rim. Neighbors thought we were moving. Very cathartic!

This left me with one room that is now my HT. The problem is that the DirecTV box hooked up to the 50" Mits. is in the finished part, on the west wall. I am not interested in acquiring another box, so I need to run S video from that to my Receiver in the HT. I can't think of any alternative than to run it around outisde of the house along with the other Cable connections that go to my bedroom upstairs and office directly above the HT. Getting across the carpet into the east side of the house in an invisible way just doesn't seem do-able without some sheetrock/painting. It is just a long way around.

Sort of off-topic, but in regards to long wire runs, I just completed the electrical. Room is roughly 23x15. Put in 10 ceiling cans, 6 sconces, and 8 outlets. Had to pull 110V for the plugs from the main circuit box - 25' away. Tapped into the existing circuit for the lights. Used an entire 250' roll of 14/2 for the lights. When I pulled the last run for the switched outlet for the rope light, I had three feet extra! Used most of a roll of 12/2 for the plugs. 225' of speaker wire as well. Hard to believe that there is almost 700' of wire in that little room!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.