Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm a new member here, I've been trolling around for a little while, and can see that the advice you guys give here is top notch, and I need some help. We're creating a sort of small den/family room type of thing, and have spent a long time researching and going to many different stores trying to figure out what we are doing for the A/V in that room. We decided to get a 5.1 surround sound HTIB with a DVD player. Now we are deciding on TV's. We don't have a huge budget (we probably max out at about $2300-2400 for the TV), and originally we had been leaning towards the Sony KDF-E42A10 but decided that we really needed a Plasma, since with the size of the room having the TV sticking out a foot and a half wouldn't be very nice. Now our top choice is the Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK which we have only heard great things about, and seems to fit our needs since we aren't paying for speakers (which we have in the HT-P38) or a tuner (which comes with our comcast service). This is where my A/V knowledge ends and I need your help :p There are a couple of main questions that we have:

1. The one thing that seems to be a con with this TV is the lack of inputs, and I have looked at the specs, but I really don't know what all of that means in a practical sense. This is what we plan to hook up to this TV, would we need to buy any additional input extensions (blades?)... The speakers, a DVD player, our Comcast HD DVR tuner, a PS3 (when it comes out, but I'm pretty sure that it will have an HD input option, and with one HD source already coming in, I'm wondering if we need any additional equipment)

2. Question 2 is regarding the wall mount, are most wall mounts compatible with this TV, if so, what are some that you'd recommend (remember that we don't have a ton of money to spend so cheaper is better, even if it can't rotate)? Also, installation of the wall mounts seems to cost around the $400 range, which is incredible. Is it really that hard to do? Could we just hire someone on the side to do it for us for cheaper?

3. Since this is the industrial model, and hence, the reason we can afford it, we have to get it online and having shipped to us :eek: PayLess Digital, Radio Active Deals, VisualApex, and B&H Photo have the best deals... would you recommened one over the other, and do these companies usually have some sort of warranty or replacement deal that covers damage that may occur during shipping?

4. Is there any additional equipment that you find to be a neccessity with a setup like this?

Thank you guys for all your help, I really appreciate your input :)

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
There are different interfaces between the wall mount and the TV. Walls mounts have to match the TV. They don't necessarily have to be a particular one, just match. Anybody that can follow instructions and can use simple hand tools can install one.

Don't know about the other dealers you mentioned, but B&H Photo has been good for me for many years. I think your only protection against damage during shipment is insurance.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have been very happy with VisualApex and the fact that they are a forum sponsor doesn't hurt either. Breakage during shipment should not be a worry in a financial sense, you don't actually own it until you sign for it and it usually is insured by the shipping party.

There are several universal mounts that will work with the 8UY - just look for the one that suits you the best. I know that VisualApex can bundle the Plasma and mount together for a better deal.

Dan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I have a noobie question regarding the wall mounts... A lot of the wall mounts I have seen advertise keeping the TV closer to the wall, but if your TV has its inputs on the back of the TV, how do they fit and how do you change them if the TV is an inch or two away from the wall? Also, how important is a good power surge protector unit, I've seen them at about $200 apiece, are they really worth that much?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.