AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I will be in the market for a new receiver, and I have absolutely no idea what i should be getting for my home theatre.

Here will be my setup.

1) 52" Samsung LN52A750 LCD TV.

2) DirecTV HD-DVR HR21-700 connected via HDMI.

3) Xbox 360 connected via HDMI.

4) Playstation 3 (for Blu Ray) connected via HDMI.

5) Front speakers are large 12" Klipsch and center and rear speakers are basically the smaller surround sound, theatre-in-a-box type speakers.

Given this information and all the HDMI connections, what is going to be the best receiver for this set up? The budget for the receiver would probably top out around $600.

Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
349 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, i'm not a big audio junkie . . . i like the fact that the onkyo has the 4 hdmi inputs. Does the fact that it only puts out 90w per channel make a big difference in speaker sound? I believe the yahamas, etc. put out 110 watts per channel or more, but it seems like they all have only 2 hdmi inputs?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
No matter what the power rating is on paper, you will generally find that most AVR's within the same price range have similar performance.

I'd expect no different in real output between the two in real world use.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just picked up the Sony DG820 - 4 HDMIs for 400 bucks. Other features that I liked was auto speaker set-up and LipSync. I went this route over the 920 because I didn't need the AVR to do up converting, my sources take car of that.

I've had it for 2 weeks and its doing the job.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamabart /forum/post/14190359

I just picked up the Sony DG820 - 4 HDMIs for 400 bucks. Other features that I liked was auto speaker set-up and LipSync. I went this route over the 920 because I didn't need the AVR to do up converting, my sources take car of that.

I've had it for 2 weeks and its doing the job.

I just returned my 820 after about a week. Not due to anything bad though. I just found a better deal on something nicer. The time I had with the 820 was fantastic. It did everything I needed perfectly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts