Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I'm at a loss....

I'm trying to find a new TV. My budget is about 2500 max (including tax 6%).

I'm a college student who is going to purchase a nice tv. I play a lot of video games so i guess here is one of the best places to start.

I don't have any preferences on tech type so i'm open to just about anything. preferablly bigger is better. I can accomodate up to a 57inch crt rptv in my studio apartment. I've looked at the likes of hitachi and mitsu. I like sony and phillips 34 widescreen offerings as well. I also like the panasonic 50inch lcd, but i don't know how i feel about lcd when it comes to viewind dvds and such.

i will primairly play video games probably 50 - 60% of my time. 30% will be dvd's and movies and the rest will be OTA HD and SD.

I really would just love to have a nice set. Hopefully you all will be able to steer me in the right direction. As far as size - it doesn't matter, but i seem to think that about 50 - 55 is going to be just perfect as "currently" my viewing distance is a max of about 8 feet - but later will be further when i move apartments.

thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Have you ruled out Front Projection? I was in your boat until I did a little more reading in the projection forums.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't want to limit myself - and I don't exactly have the home audio setup for it - so that would be an added expense that i'm currently not able to deal with. Perhaps later - yes, but now, no.

As for dealing with that I was always under the impression that front projections were awesome in general but - i don't think i can afford what would be comparable in a rptv.... so i guess i'll be excluding a projector for now.....

I really don't know what to look for at the moment. and I don't want to have to have a very dimly room in order to use a projector.

If anyone else has any other first hand experience that would be great if you could shed some light on what to do!

thanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
according to your requirements:

your budget is 2500 max and you want 50-55 inch screen

the only way you're going to get those to to jive is to get a crt rptv. I'd recommend Hitachi as they are one of the few companies that make crt rptvs that support 720p resolution - very important for HD xbox games.

otherwise if size isn't quite as important, I'd recommend a Sony 34xbr910. Picture quality on this one can't be beat unless you spend close to $10k on a plasma. But 34" is not that large either - go to a store and see a 34" TV for yourself to see if it's big enuf.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i don't think i would buy the 910 if i was buying a tube tv. I just don't see the point. I do believe i would get the 510 though (i think that's right). but with crt rptv's i'm concerned very much so about burn in.

i have been looking at the hitachi's exclusively as well as the mitsu's that are coming out slowly, but i like the hitachi's better. I also like the panasonic 50inch lcd rptv as i can get one around here in my price range, but this technology has people on the fence - but the pluses are no burn in and a very bright display...

i dunno....

what do i do.... for now the tv is going in a room that is about a 12x12 room so i'm not concerned i'm not going to see it, but then again i dunno what to do..

advice?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Before I got my projector I was sold on the Pioneer Elite line of CRT RP TV's. Those suckers are tanks and really have a great image. Unfortunately Pioneer has discontinued the line but on the plus side this created some really great price points on the sets. If you can find one - its definately worth a look.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Projectors are the best way to go especially for that size of TV and would work out perfect for your budget, check it out:

Projector:

HS10: $2000 or less because the new HS20s are coming out.

Panny AE300: $1700 or less now that the AE500 is coming out

Audio system: To start with, buy one of those all in one systems: ~$500 for a really good one, $800 for a super awesome one (It doesn't take much of a system to be better than TV speakers!)

Screen: $50 or less...build it yourself, I did out of black out cloth and 2x4s and it cost me about $50.

Mount: Shelf-$50, cieling mount, less than $25 as I built mine out of plumbing pipes.

Picture: My personal opinion is that I have yet to see a 50-55inch RPTV match the quality of my HS10 hands down. The picture is THAT good!

I think this is your best bet.

|..frizzo..|

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kinda of projector do you have? and how much did you pay for it? Also what all is involved if i do infact go that route? I was also wondering if you watch hdtv via this projector as this is something i want .... i mean why spend this sort of money and not be able to enjoy monday night football and stuff :)

thanks for the help - i think as of right now i'm thinking very very seriously about the hitachi s500 57 or the pioneer elite 53 but prices are a little steep around here as there is only one boutique that carries pioneer - most around here are chains - i do have one other boutique that sells sony, panasonic, and some of the better brands of stuff.....

it's all confusing hopefully i'll figure this out..

advice/suggestions?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'd go with a 36 inch Sony 36HS510 if I were you, especially because of your viewing distance, and your primary use of gaming. You could even buy a halfway decent HTIB with the extra dough.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a Sony HS10. It's absolutely fantastic! Every time I watch something or play games on it (I play Xbox, and HTPC games) I am absolutely stunned by the quality. I wish you could see Halo on my system running 1368x768 on the PC!!

I paid $2300 for my projector, but that was almost 6 months ago and when they were in very high demand. I saw a guy selling one at www.hs10.com used with only 70hours on the bulb and in perfect condition for $1799 (and I am pretty sure the people over there are very trustworthy).

And I am actually waiting for my HDTV hardware to show up today. I will definitley be watching a lot of it. I have read numerous reviews where the HS10 truly shines on HDTV because of it's high panel resolution (1368x768). It supports all the formats except 1080p which hasn't even been standardized yet, let alone used at all. But if something does come along at 1080p the HS10 will just downconvert it.

Plus the HS10 has HDCP support so it's future proof when it comes to the copyright protection of HD programming.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

|..frizzo..|

·
Registered
338 Posts
Also, a projector will future proof things for when you move into another apartment...because of the digital zoom. In your apartment now you could have a 80inch 16x9 image and then when you move to a bigger place you can have 120inch 16x9 image. So it provides a lot of flexibility. Plus, it is a very small footprint and won't be stealing precious space from your studio aparment. The less things taking up space the more open a room feels. :)

|..frizzo..|

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have an Infocus X1 right now. The front projector market is experiencing a drastic increase in demand for affordable home theater solutions and this is one of those projectors that has found a great niche. It can be had for well under $1K these days. The X1 has a great picture but there are lots of options in the $1000-$1500 price range depending on your needs.

I wasn't a believer in the quality of image for front projection but it really is a tremendous surprise. You mentioned Monday Night Football...High Definition sports broadcasts are where front projectors really shine in my opinion. Its really something to consider and with your budget you could afford a really nice PJ and still have chas left over for your audio.

Oh and many of these projectors are really geared towards being very simple for home theater use. Of course there is the process of placing the unit either on the ceiling or on a stand and coordinating with your screen but after that its as easy as running a svideo and/or component connection. Like I say I have been into home theater alot lately and the projector is a trend that is really catching on and becoming more affordable and user friendly. Definately worth a look!

Can't argue with a 70" wide High Def image being really cool.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have a digital camera? I would like to see some pics of your setup. I'm very intrigued. Does your room have to be completely dark when viewing? Also keep in mind i'm my viewing distance would be about 8 - 10 feet (since i would be a flat wall/screen)...

right now the projector is sounding nice... the only other competitors right now are the hitachi rptv i mentioned, sony 34 if i go tube, and the panasonic 50inch lcd rptv....

i think i would use my klipsch setup for my speakers for the time being if i got projector - my other question is.... does the projector have a tuner built in it? or, do i have to purchase a cable box of some sort?

·
Registered
338 Posts
It is nice to have it dark when you are watching dark movies (LOTR:TT) or if you are playing dark games. Other than that, I think it's just fine.

Here are some pictures of my setup.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Screen shot of Monster's Inc

·
Registered
338 Posts
And mount

And as far as tuner goes, a VCR will work, or an HDTV box if that's the route you are going. It doesn't have a tuner built in

·
Registered
124 Posts
There are numerous threads in the Digital PJ forum that include screenshots. Most of them won't do justice to the image.

Almost all the projectors don't have a tuner built in but you'd likely have to buy an external HDTV tuner anyway. The projector will just accept the signal from your reciever or whatever.

With the X1 - 10 ft back will throw a 63" wide image and you'd be fine sitting under it. It would be a problem if you were sitting way in front of the pj (i.e. sitting too close to a large image).

Klipsch audio system? What could be wrong with that? You can spend most of your budget on a great projector!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
frizzo,

how far away is your projector ....

everything looks really cool man! I would love to do that, but i always thought i wouldn't be able to afford to. Are projectors more relilable than rptv's - you know what i'm talking about? all of these people who make trips back and forth to CC to return bad sets....?

I just want something that is relilable, looks stunning, and will last technologically for about 3- 5 years and keep me satisfied, until i get out of school and can really afford to support my habit ;-)

thanks man!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you guys are really tempting me. I was just always the understanding that front pj's are awesome and really are great - if you have 5k + to spend, which i don't. So i was limiting my search to what i feel is a decent price range for an rptv. Either way, It has to, has to, has to look great for DVD's and HDTV (gotta watch my CSI and monday night Football).

Am i wrong about my assumptions or is the way of the front pj the way to go. I just want to get the best picture for my dollar (which is good, but isn't great).

thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
I think projectors are just as reliable as RPTVs. I have had mine for 6 months and I haven't even had an indication of problems. I have a single small dust blob, but I could get that out with an air canister really easily, and I can't even see it 99% of the time. One really nice thing is that you can move a projector around with out fear of damaging it. RPTVs are much more sensitive and if they get moved or jossled very aggressively they have internal parts that could be damaged.

As far as problems, check the under 5k display forum and research the HS10, Panny AE300, Infocus X1 or the Sanyo Z1. These are all the projectors that fit within your budget and see what kind of issues they have had. The HS10 has had a lamp bug issue that affected many of the early production units, but they have all but completely resolved it. (I haven't had an issues with my unit).

But as I said, overall I think the dependability is very good. I have 500 hours and my unit is running like it's still brand new. :)

And as far as how far back. The projector is 14ft back from the screen projecting 110" image. You could probably do 90" screen really nicely from 8ft back.

|..frizzo..|

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.