AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,376 Posts
Yes, and I have fan system on top of it. Posted an image.
I had almost the same setup except I had an onkyo and when I upgraded my front speakers I had the same problem with the amp shutting down into protection mode when playing it loud. It was due to the crossover as I listed above.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Yes, and I have fan system on top of it. Posted an image.

I also use AC infinity, they are nice.

Looks like you probably need an amp unless something faulty with the AVR but they arent very powerful so if you play loud its not really able to deliver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I had almost the same setup except I had an onkyo and when I upgraded my front speakers I had the same problem with the amp shutting down into protection mode when playing it loud. It was due to the crossover as I listed above.
I had considered doing that because my Marantz calibration automatically set the cross over at 40. I can change it to 80 but I read somewhere on these forums that by doing that, you take away a part of what make the speakers great sounding. Not sure how true that is.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,376 Posts
I had considered doing that because my Marantz calibration automatically set the cross over at 40. I can change it to 80 but I read somewhere on these forums that by doing that, you take away a part of what make the speakers great sounding. Not sure how true that is.
Those speakers may do ok from 40-80hz and would be great if you had no sub. But if you do have a sub, the subwoofer you have will be far better at those frequencies than your elacs. Plus it will be far easier on your amps. Try it and see for yourself.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

That depends greatly on your sub setup, room and placement. As a rule of thumb you want the crossover set at about twice the f3 (-3dB) point. This varies a lot but its a good place to start. If you have the unify 5.1 floorstanders with a response down to 43hz then an 80hz crossover is well worth trying.
I mix a bit, sometimes i play without subs and sometimes i use subs with a 60hz speaker crossover. My speakers have the f3 point at 27hz.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Don’t be afraid to set that crossover higher to 80 Hz or even 100 Hz.

I am surprised your Marantz shut down with those speakers, unless you were really driving them loud. Or the AVR overheated. Check your connections between speakers and AVR, makes sure there are not any loose connections or pos/neg ends touching anywhere creating a short.

As for driving just the L/C/R with an external amp, those channels are the primary power draw on the AVR. By moving those over to an external amp the AVR power supply will have plenty of power to run your surrounds. You will need to run/rerun the room correction (or do it manually) on your system, but that is true no matter the external amp and number of channels. In theory, as long as the speakers are level matched by room correction (Audyssey) the amplification source shouldn’t matter.

My thought of driving the L/C/R to an external amp is to save you some money on the external amp.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thank you all for you inputs and suggestions. I am going to go test some of them out now. I will let you know how it ends up.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I am surprised your Marantz shut down with those speakers, unless you were really driving them loud.
It sounds like the OP is coming from Klipsch speakers which are likely very efficient - possibly 10 dB more efficient than the ELACs, so he may be cranking the receiver much higher than he ever did with the Klipsch speakers. On top of that, the ELACs are 4 Ohm nominal (approaching 3 Ohm at around 100 Hz, according to some measurements I've seen), so that is not an easy load.

Still, if his volume level was at 70 (out of 99), then I, too, am surprised taht his Marantz shut down so soon.

I would definitely experiment by bumping up the x-over point, as you and others already suggested.

OP, what subwoofer(s) do you have?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well. I set my crossover from 40 Hz to 80 Hz. It still shut down after about 2 minutes of playing at volume 74. Maybe I have my red and black wire connectors mixed up. When I switched from the Klipsch to Elac and ran Audyssey, it told me that the wires are not connected properly which was odd to me since it had check them before when i was using my Klipsch and Audyssey never had an issue with it. But as soon as I changed my speakers Audyssey claim that they are not correct even though I had not done anything to them, just simply change which speakers they were going into. So I flipped them. Maybe thats the issue here? Perhaps thats a dumb question. lol

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Maybe I have my red and black wire connectors mixed up. When I switched from the Klipsch to Elac and ran Audyssey, it told me that the wires are not connected properly which was odd to me since it had check them before when i was using my Klipsch and Audyssey never had an issue with it. But as soon as I changed my speakers Audyssey claim that they are not correct even though I had not done anything to them, just simply change which speakers they were going into. So I flipped them. Maybe thats the issue here? Perhaps thats a dumb question. lol
Connect positive on speaker to positive on the receiver, and negative on speaker to negative on receiver. Ignore what Audyssey says about wiring - sometimes it can give false results due to specific room layout issues.

Reactions: sigpig

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Connect positive on speaker to positive on the receiver, and negative on speaker to negative on receiver. Ignore what Audyssey says about wiring - sometimes it can give false results due to specific room layout issues.
Gotcha

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Okay. So I turned on the system again and only listen in stereo and not multi channel stereo. Listen for about 30 minutes and seemed to be fine. So it does seem like its a power issue. Perhaps as mentioned a 2 channel external amp should cover my 2 front speakers and let my AVR take on the rest?

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Okay. So I turned on the system again and only listen in stereo and not multi channel stereo. Listen for about 30 minutes and seemed to be fine. So it does seem like its a power issue. Perhaps as mentioned a 2 channel external amp should cover my 2 front speakers and let my AVR take on the rest?

Might as well do 3-channels, L/R/C, especially since the C gets an awful lot of the action for HT...:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Might as well do 3-channels, L/R/C, especially since the C gets an awful lot of the action for HT...:)
I been looking for one. Most seem to be 2 channels and then jump to 5, 7, or even 12. Do you have a suggestion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Outlaw 5000. Or check the "Audio Gear" Classifieds here at AVS, or sites like usaudiomart.com or audiogon.com for a gently-used Emotiva amp.
Yes. Outlaw 5000 was my first choice. Seems pretty solid. Never listened to it. Love to hear what type of a sound it has.I wish Amazon carried it, but they only carry the Outlaw 7000x. I had some gift cards I could have used there to buy it. Also wish that the Marantz Power amp was set up for 4 ohms.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Yes. Outlaw 5000 was my first choice. Seems pretty solid. Never listened to it. Love to hear what type of a sound it has.I wish Amazon carried it, but they only carry the Outlaw 7000x. I had some gift cards I could have used there to buy it. Also wish that the Marantz Power amp was set up for 4 ohms.
Just out of curiosity did you set your SR5012 to “4 ohm” mode with your new Elac speakers? If you did, I would switch back to normal 8 ohm mode and see if you trip the protection circuit. All the 4 ohm mode does is limit the power available to the speakers to maintain stated efficiency/power use ratings. It actually limits the current going to your speakers versus 8 ohm mode. If in 4 ohm mode on the receiver, it very well may trigger the protection even at that volume of 70 because it has limited the total power available.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
As for a lightly used Outlaw Model 5000, please PM me, I may be able to help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Just out of curiosity did you set your SR5012 to “4 ohm” mode with your new Elac speakers? If you did, I would switch back to normal 8 ohm mode and see if you trip the protection circuit. All the 4 ohm mode does is limit the power available to the speakers to maintain stated efficiency/power use ratings. It actually limits the current going to your speakers versus 8 ohm mode. If in 4 ohm mode on the receiver, it very well may trigger the protection even at that volume of 70 because it has limited the total power available.
No i had never changed it to 4 ohms, had read here it doesnt do anything. How many watts should i be looking for per channel. the speakers say 20 to 14. Does that mean 80 at 2 ohms would do it?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
No i had never changed it to 4 ohms, had read here it doesnt do anything. How many watts should i be looking for per channel. the speakers say 20 to 14. Does that mean 80 at 2 ohms would do it?

Your speakers are ineffient, it might be a good idea to look at around 200w @8ohm

21 - 40 of 50 Posts