AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a display device that has a 5 pin DIN connector. Where can I buy a power supply that is compatible? Or do I have to do some serious electrical work?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I would start with the manufacturer of the device, then E-bay...

You will need to know the specifications and power requirements first then I can tell you how much work it could be.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahmoncool
These are the pinouts:

Is that what you needed? I really appreciate this guys... I'm kind of a dummy when it comes to electrical work.
An old AT style computer power supply would have all the voltages and power you need. You will just have to get someone to solder the DIN connector onto the right wires for you.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahmoncool
I can't do this myself you don't think?
Sure you can as long as you know how to solder.

Possibly you might have to use a volt meter to make sure you get the right wires. As I recall the drive connectors on a PC power supply have +12 +5 on them. The motherboard connectors will have +/-12 and +/-5 volts. You can probably look it up in the internet to get the pinout of the AT motherboard connector as they were stndard.

Just make sure you get an old "AT" style (not ATX) powersupply because they usally have the power switch built into the case and they do not require a "soft switch" signal from the motherboard to power up.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Used computer store, secondhand shop, Goodwill, E-bay, neighborhood computer geek...

250 Watt AT Power Supply $19.99 at Comp USA

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, after I receive the AT power supply, would you be willing to assist me through it if I run into any problems/confusions?

Also, just to confirm - the two things are need are:

eBay item#s:

(sorry but it wouldn't let me link to them).

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The motherboard connectors are labeled P8 and P9 they are connected to an AT motherboard with the black wires next to each other on one big 12 pin connector.

1 Orange "Power Good" P8

2 Red (XT No Wire) +5V DC P8

3 Yellow +12V DC P8

4 Blue -12V DC P8

5 Black Ground P8

6 Black Ground P8

7 Black Ground P9

8 Black Ground P9

9 Black Ground P9

10 Yellow -5V DC P9

11 Red +5V DC P9

12 Red +5V DC P9

So you need to connect...

Pick two black wires and connect them to pins 1 and 2 of your connector (GND)

Either Red wire from P9 to pin 3 (+5V)

The yellow wire from P9 to pin 4 (-5V)

The Yellow wire from P8 to pin 5 (+12V)

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sweet, and the pins are easily accessible in this DIN connector? Is this what I'm looking for? Partsexpress.com item# 090-341?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Additionally, I have tested a power supply that has the correct pinouts (its a power supply from an older display, same brand) and connector. However it does not power the unit... is there something I'm missing?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.