AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a subwoofer. I have an 16' x 12' living room (1,500 cubic feet), that opens up to a dining room of the same size. I am looking for something to use for watching movies, and provide rumble.

Because my current front speakers have 12" woofers, they are pretty good on their own for music. I really liked the $120 price tag on the Polk PSW10, but I'm willing to spend a few hundred ($500 absolute max, under $300 would make me happier) to get what I really want (if that is possible). The first review on Amazon said it was great for music, but not for movies because it bottomed out at 50Hz. I thought I would come here to get some great expert opinions.

My current system:

Fronts: Technics SB-LX70, "floor standing bookshelves", with 12" woofers. Something like $160/pair.

Rears: Older 6" Bose bookshelf speakers. My first speakers from high school (1997'ish).

Center: JBL Northridge N-center.

Amp: 200W Sony, has 32-bit SDDS (so it does LFE), but no DTS (a bit too old).

So do I need honkin 14" subs to get the deep bass I want for movie rumbling? I don't need volume, in fact low-volume performance is part of the reason I want a sub. I'm open to either nice aesthetics or poor. I'd be willing to pay more if I don't have to hide it at all. I have read the craigsub list, and I will be investigating all of those (what, 2?) that fit in my price range.

Thanks for any help. Also, I am a mechanical engineer with a full woodshop in my basement, if that happens to change anything.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Save yourself the time and money and don't buy the Polk sub.

Here's a short list of subs that will severely outperform the Polk sub for a reasonable price.

Bic America F-12 $185

Premier Acoustics PA-120 $230

Hsu STF-2 $350

SVS-PB10NSD $450

Assuming something isn't on sale or you're buying used the PB-10NSD will perform as well or better than any sub at $450 or under.

The Hsu is decent for both music and HT but won't have the same extension or output the PB-10 does.

On a budget either the F-12 or PA-120 are excellent choices. They are probably among the best bang for your buck subs available. Coming from no sub at all...either will probably make you very satisfied for watching movies. Neither is good at music...but they really do perform well with movies. If you buy from the Premier Acoustics ebay store you'll get free shipping. For the F12 look at Provantage, they are about $155 and $30 for shipping approx.

So there's some info for ya. You can get very good entry level bass for $200 or so, or you can spend $450 and have the best dang sub in that price range this side of....pluto.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you to both Danielson and Jimmy, I like both of your suggestions. I suppose I will have to head over to the DIY section and see what I can find there.

Any input on how the F-12 and PA-120 would compare with a DIY like Jimmy suggests for low sounds?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds appropriate. Is there one you would suggest? I'm looking through the DIY forums now, but nothing is jumping out at me. Jim's post above sounds good, but are there any other options? What can I do for $200 worth of sound equipment (not including wood)?

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
A good $300 option is the Energy ESW-V10 from wwstereo. It's a very nice sub, and doesn't get much recognition because the MSRP was around $800, which was way to high.

But for $300...it's an extremely good value. I have a Mirage Prestige S10, which is the Mirage's version of the same exact sub (just different feet and brand logo)....and it's a very tight, musical sub with respectable output. It outperformed the Acculine Asub I previously owned. The only thing it won't give is much output below 25Hz.

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
I just sold a SVS PB10-ISD (4 yrs old, but as good as new) for $300. Would have been ideal for you had you been local and no shipping cost. But you might keep your eye on the lookout for something like this in your area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone, especially Danielson99. Just wanted to report that I got the Bic America F-12. Didn't feel like spending the time to make my own.

I am very happy with the results. I've had it about two weeks and it has been outstanding. I am getting more eyerolls every day from my wife, and enjoying every minute of it.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Very good. Let us know when it ends up being not enough (it will) and head back over to the diy section and we will get you set up with a good design that will make you think the f12 is a baby sub.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCulp /forum/post/17081276

Thanks everyone, especially Danielson99. Just wanted to report that I got the Bic America F-12. Didn't feel like spending the time to make my own.

I am very happy with the results. I've had it about two weeks and it has been outstanding. I am getting more eyerolls every day from my wife, and enjoying every minute of it.

Isn't that look priceless

1 - 16 of 16 Posts