AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I got tired of paying Comcast 10 bucks a month so I went out and bought a modem and got a great deal so im happy however because Comcast was renting me one fo those all in one router/modems I am now without wireless. The good news is I only use wireless for one thing and thats my blu-ray player for Netflix and a little Youtube. So here is my question, what would the perfect wireless router be for me? My blu-ray player is an Oppo BDP-103 which DOES NOT support 5GHZ and it is about 35 feet from where the router would go with nothing but a hallway and a door blocking it. My Comcast plan is 105Mbps. Which Router would give me the most range? Or the most output? My old wireless was actually giving me 50Mbps and the blu-ray player was picking up abut 85% of that according to the player. Im also not trying to spend a fortune but if you guys could give me a few options going from the lowest to highest that would be great.

I did read an article on wirecutters that said the TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router was solid but after reading many reviews I hear it has crappy range, as in only like 20Mbps 15 feet away. Also many reports of early failure and dropped signal.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I just got the Asus rt-n66r it kicks butt has dual band 2.4 and 5 ghz... Its Fast, and has great coverage without breaking the bank.:) My routers in the basement, and I can still get full signal on the patio or in the garage.

The Asus rt-n66u is the exact same router, the r on the end just stand for retail version.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I get 112mb on wifi in the house. 90-108 in the garage or on my patio. Ive had mine for a week, look up reviews for the rt-n66u. Youll see many have no issues with it, and it can be setup and changed from a tablet besides from you pc!:)

Have you experience alot of early router failures? Ive never had one die early, unless 6 yrs is a early failure...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I get 112mb on wifi in the house. 90-108 in the garage or on my patio. Ive had mine for a week, look up reviews for the rt-n66u. Youll see many have no issues with it, and it can be setup and changed from a tablet besides from you pc!:)

Have you experience alot of early router failures? Ive never had one die early, unless 6 yrs is a early failure...
No, I have only had 2 wireless routers before and they were both cable company rentals that I ended up giving back. The Amazon reviews and Newegg reviews scare me a bit, thats all. So you have the rt-n66u then? Were those numbers you posted 5GHZ? My player doesn't support that. I will only be using the 2.4

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
No, I have only had 2 wireless routers before and they were both cable company rentals that I ended up giving back. The Amazon reviews and Newegg reviews scare me a bit, thats all. So you have the rt-n66u then? Were those numbers you posted 5GHZ? My player doesn't support that. I will only be using the 2.4
Yes the numbers I posted previously were 5 ghz wifi, but 2.4 ghz wifi is no slouch either! Its a drop of course, but not bad at 85mb! :)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Oh wow and you say you are getting that past 35 feet?
Yes sir, and I just Corrected the 2.4 ghz speed as thats what I previously got on my old cable co. router! I get 83-87mb on the Asus using 2.4 ghz wifi....:D

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Well if you are getting that with the ASUS RT-N66U then I might have to get that one. Have you had good luck with that brand?
I chose it based on reccommendation from my brother in law, hes had his close to a yr and loves it! So I thought Id try it out, so far I love everything about it!

The thing I like most is how easy this is to setup and confugure! You can set up both 2.4 & 5.0 ghz wifi! Multiple 2.4 & 5.0 ghz guest wifi without access to files on your personal networks. You also can do all this from a tablet, as well as your p.c., which is great IMO... The options for it appear endless to me.

Just remember if you go to a phyical store such as BestBuy to get this its model # is rt-n66r, and if you buy it online at Amazon.com its model # is rt-n66u. But, theyres no difference in build or specs between the 2!;)

·
Registered
697 Posts
The outstanding range and stability (in 2.4 GHz mode) of my Asus RT-N66U is why I bought it a few months ago, and, as far (literally) as range is concerned, it is even much better than the newer (and a fair bit more expensive) AC models. I have had to reboot it only once thus far, and that was because of a firmware update so yeah, stable as a rock.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Ok great and what speeds are you getting out of them? Also how long have you two had it? Im worried about early failure.
Don't buy a cheap one- they just don't work A) most of the time, B) for long (as in, reliably AND permanently) or C) as described.

Ubiquity is an exception because their pricing model is specifically designed to disrupt the market.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Here's how my RT-N66U performs at 15 m distance, with several ceramic brick walls in between it and my Asus R510LDV notebook PC (built-in Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 wireless adapter) at 2.4 GHz.

(For reference, my cable internet offers 200 Mb/s download speed via the wired connection).

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
And heres mine 73' away upstairs, my routers in the basement!:):)

Attachments

·
Registered
697 Posts
And heres mine 73' away upstairs, my routers in the basement!:):)
Not bad for that kind of distance, but you need a 600 MB/s client to get that kind of throughput in 2.4 GHz mode. :) My notebook only has a regular (300 MB/s) client. With 450 MB/s clients, it will be typically around 55 MB/s (close distances) and 45 MB/s (long distances) so it is not really impressive throughput in 2.4 GHz mode, but the range and stability sure does make up for that, and I should also add that the throughput in 5 GHz mode is nothing short of spectacular.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Ok so I got tired of paying Comcast 10 bucks a month so I went out and bought a modem and got a great deal so im happy however because Comcast was renting me one fo those all in one router/modems I am now without wireless. The good news is I only use wireless for one thing and thats my blu-ray player for Netflix and a little Youtube. So here is my question, what would the perfect wireless router be for me? My blu-ray player is an Oppo BDP-103 which DOES NOT support 5GHZ and it is about 35 feet from where the router would go with nothing but a hallway and a door blocking it. My Comcast plan is 105Mbps. Which Router would give me the most range? Or the most output? My old wireless was actually giving me 50Mbps and the blu-ray player was picking up abut 85% of that according to the player. Im also not trying to spend a fortune but if you guys could give me a few options going from the lowest to highest that would be great.

I did read an article on wirecutters that said the TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router was solid but after reading many reviews I hear it has crappy range, as in only like 20Mbps 15 feet away. Also many reports of early failure and dropped signal.
I've been using the archer C7 for 2 years now and have had no problems at all.

I had been listening to the hype over the Asus routers for the last couple of years so in December I went down to my T-Mobile store and picked up their Cell Spot router which is just an Asus RT-AC68U with a T-Mobile logo on it. I used it for 2 months and there is literally no performance difference between the two. The Asus interface is easier to use but signal strength was the same, regardless of location. I like the form factor of the TP-Link better so I went back to the Archer C7 and the Asus is hanging out in the box in case I need a backup. Bandwidth from the TP-Link is not an issue. I stream Blu-Ray rips from my server to my HTPC via 2.4GHz N300 adapter. NetFlix is nothing compared to that. I don't see where 2x the $$$ would be well spent.

If you just want something inexpensive, get the TP-Link WDR3600 for about $50. It's almost the same as the Archer C7 but just doesn't have AC capability.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Not bad for that kind of distance, but you need a 600 MB/s client to get that kind of throughput in 2.4 GHz mode. :) My notebook only has a regular (150 MB/s) client. With 450 MB/s clients, it will be typically around 55 MB/s (close distances) and 45 MB/s (long distances) so it is not really impressive throughput in 2.4 GHz mode, but the range and stability sure does make up for that, and I should also add that the throughput in 5 GHz mode is nothing short of spectacular.
You sound alot more Knowledgable on the topic than myself!;) I consider myself moderatly knowledgable, I wish I was Advance as to know how to better take advantage or setup the Asus rt-n66u better!

Once I get passed setting up wifi networks, creating theyre passkeys, and switching broadcast channels. Thats about where my knowledge stops...

·
Registered
697 Posts
I've been using the archer C7 for 2 years now and have had no problems at all.

I had been listening to the hype over the Asus routers for the last couple of years so in December I went down to my T-Mobile store and picked up their Cell Spot router which is just an Asus RT-AC68U with a T-Mobile logo on it. I used it for 2 months and there is literally no performance difference between the two. The Asus interface is easier to use but signal strength was the same, regardless of location. I like the form factor of the TP-Link better so I went back to the Archer C7 and the Asus is hanging out in the box in case I need a backup. Bandwidth from the TP-Link is not an issue. I stream Blu-Ray rips from my server to my HTPC via 2.4GHz N300 adapter. NetFlix is nothing compared to that. I don't see where 2x the $$$ would be well spent.

If you just want something inexpensive, get the TP-Link WDR3600 for about $50. It's almost the same as the Archer C7 but just doesn't have AC capability.
There are about a dozen or so other 2.4 GHz wireless networks in my neighborhood. A cheap wireless router like the one you recommend will simply not work in this specific scenario, at least not if going through several solid walls at 15 m distance with just a tiny internal PCIe Mini Card inside a notebook PC or with a smartphone/tablet, or a pocketsize portable Digital Audio Player such as my Astell & Kern AK240.

That said, pretty much everyone in the thread so far has recommended the RT-N66U, not the RT-AC68U that you mention. Personally, I, would never recommend an 802.11ac instead of an 802.11n router to someone who simply doesn't need 802.11ac nor will be needing it anytime soon. To anyone who does need it, the RT-AC68U and the RT-AC87U are IMO what separates an outstanding wireless router from an excellent one in 2015:
http://www.cnet.com/topics/networking/best-networking-devices/802-11ac

1 - 20 of 45 Posts