AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have read many of the threads in the DIY Subwoofer area and I am just not getting the whole picture on building my own sub. I'm usually a pretty fast learner but I'm starting this thread to see if I can get some straight forward, to the point answers. I want to build a subwoofer. I have good electrical skills and woodworking skills. I have been looking at retail subwoofers for awhile now but can't justify spending that much money on the ones I really like. Those would be ones like the Fathom 113, the Velo DD series, or the Sunfire Subs. The sub I want to build will be used entirely for home theater in a dedicated home theater room. I want something that will equal or beat the above mentioned brands. Basically, punch you in the chest and be able to dip very low to 20hz and lower. Now, I'm not sure what type of box I should use, if it should be sealed or ported, or what size it should be. I also dont know what brand of sub or size to buy to acheive what I am looking for. I was looking at the RE XXX subs but they are 2 ohm and I didnt know if those would work. I also don't know what size or brand amplifier to use either that would provide suficient power to get those kind of results. I also dont know if I need anything else like an equalizer or if all I need for electronics is the sub and the amp? I know you guys out there probably get sick of guys like me asking these questions, but can someone please help me out with this? Or post some links where people have built the kind of sub I'm talking about and show the steps. I really do appreciate it.

·
Registered
9,387 Posts
1: What is your total budget for the project?

2: How many subs do you want to build?

3: How big physically can the sub(s) be?

4: What do you have for main speakers (LCR)?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
First things first.....welcome to DIY!....and now the hard questions.

What's you're budget?

Bigger is almost always better-what are your size restrictions/limitations?

What are you using for mains speakers and how much power from the AVR/Amp?

How big is the room (length x width x height)?.....and is it closed or an open floorplan?

This will help us determine how much sub you need,can afford and fit in your space. Pretty painless right?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
"I have good electrical skills and woodworking skills."

RF5000, You need to read 1-2 THT build threads on this forum.

2 THTs (~400 each for plywood, Bill Fitzmaurice's plans, PL glue or equivalent, miscellaneous screws, recommended PE 15 inch driver).

2 PE 240 watt amps - $140 each.

size 24.5" x 36" x 36" - heavy

Construction is (usually) quite straightforward for someone with modest woodworking skills.

If size is a problem, then you can consider other solutions with smaller sealed or ported subs. These other solutions are likely to be much more expensive.

Many people in this forum, although not professional audio consultants, can provide quite a bit better advice than many professionals in terms of DIY. Many of the good 'all-in-one' professionals who build home theaters for individuals (and do all the wiring and picking equipment) get as much as 1/3 of their business redoing seriously inadequate work done by other 'professionals'.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

"I have good electrical skills and woodworking skills."

RF5000, You need to read 1-2 THT build threads on this forum.

2 THTs (~400 each for plywood, Bill Fitzmaurice's plans, PL glue or equivalent, miscellaneous screws, recommended PE 15 inch driver).

2 PE 240 watt amps - $120 each.

size 24.5" x 36" x 36" - heavy

Construction is (usually) quite straightforward for someone with modest woodworking skills.

Yes..most definately. A dual THT is an answer to your prayers sent straight form the gods to solve all of your LF deficiencies. It's amazing this technology took soo long to catch on
Regardless of room size or other concerns or equipment, a THT pair will get the job done. I hear that you get a free package of Kool-aid with every set of plans. Drink up Grasshopper..Drink Up!

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
"Okay, I have read many of the threads in the DIY Subwoofer area and I am just not getting the whole picture on building my own sub."

hi rf5000, first post since joining august '08? ;-) the reason that there doesn't seem to be an answer is because there is not an answer. different designs have different advantages and disadvantages. for example, the tht's are huge, but have good performance. they may have more spl than you need and you may have a room where having multiple smaller subs will give you the best overall performance (by smoothing out room peaks/nulls). or another, if you have a room with little room gain and you want a system that will play down to 5hz, sealed subs with huge xmax or multiple drivers may be better than a horn loaded sub. choosing the right design kind of depends on what your goals and constraints are and most everyone's are a little different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts