AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I could really use some advice.

It looks like there are some ceiling speakers that will benefit from back enclosures and others that were specifically designed to have a huge attic space behind them. I have 3 different brands. The manufacturers have given me some basic advice.

There are also a bunch of different types of enclosures on the market: manufacturers' own mdf back boxes, retrofit cans, soft foam enclosures that can be pushed in place from the room side (Vertek/XTC), styrofoam cooler, and shower cap things to prevent stuff from getting into the speaker. Some are designed for the sole purposes of preventing sound from leaking to other rooms or for fire protection. I don't need that.

One of my speakers recommends no enclosure. Another one does.

My question is, where do the options of using one of those flexible enclosures, or styrofoam cooler, or deep pile of insulation on top of the speaker, fall between having an mdf box and a completely open back? If I use a flexible, easy to install, foam box to keep crap out of my speakers that were designed to be used without a back box, will that affect the sound alot? If I use that same flexible foam box instead of the recommended mdf box (same volume), will the benefits be close?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No responses. I'm sure I could have worded this better. I'll try again...

Can any of the flexible enclosures that can be inserted into the ceiling speaker cutout really perform like a solid cabinet made from mdf? Or, are all of these things just made to keep sound from spilling into adjacent areas?

In an old thread, someone was asking if he could get the same sound improvement by using a styrofoam cooler of an equal volume as the manufacturer's $250 mdf cabinet. He never really got an answer. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
No responses. I'm sure I could have worded this better. I'll try again...

Can any of the flexible enclosures that can be inserted into the ceiling speaker cutout really perform like a solid cabinet made from mdf? Or, are all of these things just made to keep sound from spilling into adjacent areas?

In an old thread, someone was asking if he could get the same sound improvement by using a styrofoam cooler of an equal volume as the manufacturer's $250 mdf cabinet. He never really got an answer. Any thoughts?
Try the DIY Forum. Box size, amount of filling, etc ... are all based upon the characteristics of the speaker you are working with. They will ask the appropriate questions and get you on your way. If not, try the Home Theater Building and Construction Forum. I'm sure this is not the first time someone has asked this question.

Search first, then ask your question if you can't find anything relevant.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts