AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made a DVD using Sonic MyDVD that came with my Pioneer burner. I made the DVD from the High Def Quicktime movie trailer of the Matrix Reloaded. Playing the DVD back I am noticing poor quality as if it were a so-so DIVX file, blockiness and things like that. What DVD authoring software can I get that is better at Mpeg-2 encoding so that I can make this Matrix trailer look decent and can safely make DVD's in the future knowing the Mpeg-2 compression is as good as it can be. I plan to convert home videos and things so I want something that will not be obsolete too soon and have the ability to add chapter stops anywhere I want within the data file.

Thanks

·
Registered
283 Posts
The problem may not necessarily be with the Sonic MyDVD encoding. You are trying to encode an already compressed format (Quicktime) and therefore losing image quality with the MPEG2 encoding, which compresses the file further. Ideally, you should be using raw, uncompressed video when encoding DVD MPEG2 files.

MainConcept makes good encoding software and is found in several consumer apps (eg. Sonic Foundry's Vegas + DVDA).

Again, though, I think the issue is more with your (compressed) source file.

Dan

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Have usedSonic MyDVD with excellent results. Make sure you are setting up for proper resolution using the box in the upper right hand corner. Also, the program uses your computers video card controls so those have to be adjusted properly.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Shawn, what bit rate did you use when transferring to mpeg and do you have control over it with MyDVD? I take OTA HD material down to 6m CBR when I want a quick and dirty that has some blocks or 8m VBR when I want the best quality I can get. Either way I use DVD Movie Factory to burn the DVD since it will take files without re-encoding them. DVDMF also will produce the 6m files but I use TMPGENC to generate the 8m files.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill, I see no option like what you say. Is it only available when capturing video? Right now I just convert files already on the hard drive to DVD.

mpenton, I can't find any options in Sonic MyDVD to setup bit rates or resolutions. I assume the option does not exist unless it's in the capture settings where I do not have a device to capture from.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The problems is almost always with the Mpeg conversion. Most authoring software do a lousy job.

Your best best is to first use Tmpgenc, ( http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html ) at its best settings, then use the resultant mpeg2 file as the source for your DVD authoring.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just tried the tmpgenc program. I am left with a m2v and a wav. Where do I go from here? I can't seem to mux them or make an avi or mpg file. Where are the instruction to this program?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Shawn - there are no real manuals aside from the help file, if any.

It sounds to me like you are using a newer version, as the one I have does not have the option of splitting video and audio.

You need to output to an mpg file, if possible. Choose 8000 as your bit rate for the best quality. Once you get the mpg file, simply use it as your source when you are setting up MyDVD. The improved quality of the mpg file should yield much better DVD's.

You may try the DVD hardware forum here if you need any other help.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had just figured out how to get the mpg file. At the start of the wizard, you are prompted to select uncompressed PCM audio or compressed. I originaly selected PCM making the program split the video and audio into seperate files. When I tried it again after selecting compressed audio, it allowed me to then create a single mpg file. Right now, I am not getting any video out of the file but I do hear it. I will try to burn a new DVD with the latest try to see if I get a video image on that.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
You could also mux the 2 files using the MPEG Tools item in the File menu.

Having seperate audio and video seems to be needed if you want to create VOBs in IFOEdit. It also allows you to tweek the audio sync if needed with bSweet.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I created my Matrix Reloaded trailer DVD from the Quicktime using tmpgenc and it looks realy good. It's anamorphic and looks as good as most DVD's on the market. I love tmpgenc so thank for turning me on to it. On my 65" widescreen most of the flaws in video encoders are blaringly obvious but this one turned out the best of any encoding I've ever done. I think I'll make more! :)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I love TMPG too. IMHO, every bit as good as Mpeg encoders costing 3 times as much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.