Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here goes...

My current setup is comprised of a:

50" Pioneer 101-FD

Denon 2310 Receiver

Polk Monitor CS2 Center

Polk Monitor 70 Fronts

Xbox 360 (gaming)

HTPC (E8400, Asus P5Q Deluxe, 4gb RAM, LG BR drive, 4850, Intel X-25M 80gb, WD Black 1TB, WD Black 640GB)

Time Warner Cable Box

Everything runs via HDMI to my Receiver which then has one HDMI cable to my Pioneer. The 1tb drive is full with DVDs, the 640gb drive is probably 1/4 full, and the SSD is my boot drive.

I've been rethinking my whole electronics setup and want to make a couple of changes.

1. I want to buy a 2tb drive and install it and the 1tb drive into some sort of low power home server so all my SD media can be streamed rather than stored on a PC.

2. I want to buy a PS3 for use as a BR player and because it has more & better exclusive titles than the 360 and then look into selling the 360. I don't play games online and feel that the 360 has a more mature following than either the 360 or Wii.

3. Move my current HTPC back into a desktop case or possibly spring for a mATX mobo and case to save space.

4. Pick up a device capable of allowing me to watch/listen all of my stored media (pictures, video files, ripped dvds in .ts format), skype, and browse the internet. If possible throw a small SSD in there to make it super fast. I was thinking the ASRock Vision 3D but the price tag is HEFTY and I don't need a BR player if I'm picking up a PS3.

So, if anyone can point out a recommendation for 1, 3, & 4 I would be very appreciative.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokierower /forum/post/19582989

Okay, here goes...

My current setup is comprised of a:

50" Pioneer 101-FD

Denon 2310 Receiver

Polk Monitor CS2 Center

Polk Monitor 70 Fronts

Xbox 360 (gaming)

HTPC (E8400, Asus P5Q Deluxe, 4gb RAM, LG BR drive, 4850, Intel X-25M 80gb, WD Black 1TB, WD Black 640GB)

Time Warner Cable Box

Everything runs via HDMI to my Receiver which then has one HDMI cable to my Pioneer. The 1tb drive is full with DVDs, the 640gb drive is probably 1/4 full, and the SSD is my boot drive.

I've been rethinking my whole electronics setup and want to make a couple of changes.

1. I want to buy a 2tb drive and install it and the 1tb drive into some sort of low power home server so all my SD media can be streamed rather than stored on a PC.

2. I want to buy a PS3 for use as a BR player and because it has more & better exclusive titles than the 360 and then look into selling the 360. I don't play games online and feel that the 360 has a more mature following than either the 360 or Wii.

3. Move my current HTPC back into a desktop case or possibly spring for a mATX mobo and case to save space.

4. Pick up a device capable of allowing me to watch/listen all of my stored media (pictures, video files, ripped dvds in .ts format), skype, and browse the internet. If possible throw a small SSD in there to make it super fast. I was thinking the ASRock Vision 3D but the price tag is HEFTY and I don't need a BR player if I'm picking up a PS3.

So, if anyone can point out a recommendation for 1, 3, & 4 I would be very appreciative.

Why buying a PS3 for BR playback when u can play BR using a BR player in your PC? PS3 is hot, noisy and wont pass compressed audio. I am retiring my PS3 for reasons I mentioned.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokierower /forum/post/19582989

Okay, but a PC is a PC, whether you call it a server or not.

Quote:

If you're going to play the games, then that makes sense. If not, a standalone blu-ray player makes a lot more sense. Make sure to get the slim PS3 so you can properly bitstream the HD audio codecs.
Quote:

Don't bother unless space is really a premium. You won't gain anything from this change.
Quote:

I believe the PS3 does this, except maybe the ts DVDs.

My recommendation? Get a blu-ray drive and PowerDVD 10 Ultra for your existing HTPC. Done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.