AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I bought the Panny TH50PZ85U and lately I've given a deep thought or two about selling it and getting the Pioneer 5020FD. I like the Panny but it has some issues that I didn't think was that big of deal when I purchased it, but its starting to bother me now. The one thing that I wanted was the 24p cinematic playback and only the 800U/850U and Pioneers offer that.

So here's my situation:

I can sell my Panny and take a substantial loss, given that I purchased this set back in March because the price has dropped on Amazon and buyers aren't offering anything near what I thought they would
(and I've already marked down $600 from the original price that I paid for it back in March).

I have two options now:

(1) Take the loss, save up some more $ and get the TV that I REALLY wanted and learn from my mistake and never do that again. I'm better off waiting a few more months in the future rather than jump the gun and settle for something that I'll end up regretting...anyway, I know...I feel really stupid but oh well

(2) Just deal with what I have and do the smart, economical thing and stick with what I have since it isn't a TERRIBLE tv and enjoy it.

...But the one thing that gets on my nerves the most is the slight bit of judder that I notice when I'm watching ESPN or when the screen shifts from right to left or what not. I know alot of people don't notice it, but I do...n thats something to think about I guess.

Anyway, I would really appreciate your advice on this matter if you have any...any input is appreciated....

Thanks!

·
Registered
408 Posts
No one here can tell you what to do with your money - that's your choice - but if you do get a 5020 I doubt you would be disappointed with your decision.

I'm upgrading from a Vizio LCD so my upgrade will be a little more drastic... I have no qualms getting the 5020.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
if judder bothers you than you won't be happy with even the Elite. I notice judder all the time when watching HD cable, and the demo disc that plays in the Magnolia stores shows judder as well which is a BD, so I know I am not imagining this. I don't know if the 5020 has this judder, you should check out D-nices review on the 5020. Either way, the Panny z85u is definitely not comparable to the 5020 is you ask me, but I am just a lone soldier, and just an opinion.

·
Registered
497 Posts
There's no point living with something you don't like if there's another product available whic will make you happy (and you can afford). Will you be happy with a 5020? If so, then sell the Panny 85U and go for the Pioneer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey what's up.. I'm in dallas too...

well, tbh, personally i'd just suck it up... 600+ is a lot to throw away immediately... I'd wait until you could justify losing that off the top. It sounds too new to lose that just yet...

But it doesn't sound like you'll be happy with your alternatives.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I wasn't going to be happy with keeping this tv. So I just sold it this morning. Got a pretty good deal. And now I'm back on the market for a new TV! AND IM GOING WITH A DAMN PIONEER THIS TIME....!

And thank you all for your opinions...it helped reassure me of the decision I was leaning toward....

·
Registered
129 Posts
I for one am an advocate of "pure happiness". Meaning, life is shorter than we think and we should enjoy ever last minute we have- tomorrow is never promised. This hobby of ours, we probably enjoy it with family and friends, but it is us who really appreciates the naunces of "the best".

With that said, if you have the means or willing to lose a little bit, go and get what you want. You'll never be happy knowing you settled for second best. With just about everything in life, it would be nice if we can hit the target every single time, but sometimes we have to get burned to learn.

I noticed you already pulled the trigger.....GOOD FOR YOU!!!

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRT /forum/post/14249465

That's why I bought a Sony SXRD. Flat panels have issues.

Not helpful. ALL displays have "issues" of some sort.

I say keep the Panasonic and wait a year or two to see what comes out. Then, you'll feel less guilty about the $$$ loss, and can move the Panny to another room replacing it with something better in your main viewing area.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Shroedk, I think you missed a few posts. He already sold it. He's buying the Pioneer.

When are you changing your picture, so we can see that baby grow?

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashti /forum/post/14252917

Shroedk, I think you missed a few posts. He already sold it. He's buying the Pioneer.

When are you changing your picture, so we can see that baby grow?

Whoops; distracted by my girls.

I know, I need to change the picture. I'll get that done one of these days. The baby in my picture is now 4 1/2 years old!

·
Registered
501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thugzpassionstp7 /forum/post/14252317

Yea I wasn't going to be happy with keeping this tv. So I just sold it this morning. Got a pretty good deal. And now I'm back on the market for a new TV! AND IM GOING WITH A DAMN PIONEER THIS TIME....!

And thank you all for your opinions...it helped reassure me of the decision I was leaning toward....

And a wise decision you made. A few months from now you will have forgotten the loss you took on that Panasonic and will be enjoying the best HDTV on the market.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thugzpassionstp7 /forum/post/14249302

Ok I bought the Panny TH50PZ85U and lately I've given a deep thought or two about selling it and getting the Pioneer 5020FD. I like the Panny but it has some issues that I didn't think was that big of deal when I purchased it, but its starting to bother me now. The one thing that I wanted was the 24p cinematic playback and only the 800U/850U and Pioneers offer that.

So here's my situation:

I can sell my Panny and take a substantial loss, given that I purchased this set back in March because the price has dropped on Amazon and buyers aren't offering anything near what I thought they would
(and I've already marked down $600 from the original price that I paid for it back in March).

I have two options now:

(1) Take the loss, save up some more $ and get the TV that I REALLY wanted and learn from my mistake and never do that again. I'm better off waiting a few more months in the future rather than jump the gun and settle for something that I'll end up regretting...anyway, I know...I feel really stupid but oh well

(2) Just deal with what I have and do the smart, economical thing and stick with what I have since it isn't a TERRIBLE tv and enjoy it.

...But the one thing that gets on my nerves the most is the slight bit of judder that I notice when I'm watching ESPN or when the screen shifts from right to left or what not. I know alot of people don't notice it, but I do...n thats something to think about I guess.

Anyway, I would really appreciate your advice on this matter if you have any...any input is appreciated....

Thanks!

No TV is going to clear up judder that's on ESPN -- that's a 60hz source.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts