AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a decent TV and a computer that will be placed nearby it. I am looking to build a home theatre around the TV, so I've got a decision. I don't want to spend much money on this. Should I go ahead and buy a home theatre in a box, or is there a decently cheap way for me to build just as good a system, using my computer?

So option 1 - spend $300-500 on a home theatre in a box.

Option 2 - buy speakers, a decent sound card, and whatever else i'd need to hook my TV and video game systems through my computer to pump sound out of those speakers? i've got a decent computer with a dvd drive, but i would have to invest in a decent sound card i know.

Which option is best, and can anybody give me direction on what to buy? I don't plan on ever blasting the volume on this system, so I don't need serious watts, but I do want Dolby Digital, DTS, and pro logic 2 (which some of my games would take advantage of)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would go with home theater in a box. If you get a decent sound card, it can do all the processing just fine, but you will need some way to power your speakers, you could do this by buying powered speakers but given your situation they would probably cost more than you want to spend.

For now, go with a simple box setup. Then when you have more money or whatever go with something that you build yourself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.