AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, first time here!!!

Well, I've been thinking about this long time and I don't know what would be the best and cheapest solution for my case:

I have a modem+router, and in the other side of the salon I have my stereo equipment, a good one, so I would like to use it. I have and Ipod touch as well that could be the perfect remote.

I want to stream the music from my laptop to the stereo, controll it with the Itouch and the most complicated is that I would like to play radio like pandora, for instance, without turning on my computer.

So I'm thinking to buy Sonos, Airport express or Squeezebox. If there is other solution please let me know!!!

Sonos is the most expensive since i have to buy the bridge to hook it up to my router and the ZP90 to connect to the audio device. But I know that Sonos can do everything I want (a friend of mine has it and works perfectly) even to play the music stored in my Itouch without using my laptop. The sonos app for itouch works great too. $450 tooo expensive.

Airport express: the cheepeast BUT i have to have always the computer on, to connect the Itunes. Perfect Remote control. $90, perfect!!

Squeezebox: I don't know much about it. I think, after reading reviews, I'd need only the receiver ($100) but i don't know if i could control it from my itouch, and people say that the setup might be complicated. And don't know, whether I'll be able to play radio music (pandora, lastfm...) from my itouch without connecting the pc. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The big deal, I guess is to play the radio and music from my itouch straight to the streamer and then to the speakers. Sonos does this, the question is: does any of the other devices do this??

Then that's my problem, I don't know what to do, Of course Sonos will solve all my problems but because of I have everthing except the streamer I thougth I could find something cheaper.

Thanks for reading and please if you know any solution let me know.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niidea /forum/post/19510606

Hi everybody, first time here!!!

Well, I've been thinking about this long time and I don't know what would be the best and cheapest solution for my case:

I have a modem+router, and in the other side of the salon I have my stereo equipment, a good one, so I would like to use it. I have and Ipod touch as well that could be the perfect remote.

I want to stream the music from my laptop to the stereo, controll it with the Itouch and the most complicated is that I would like to play radio like pandora, for instance, without turning on my computer.

So I'm thinking to buy Sonos, Airport express or Squeezebox. If there is other solution please let me know!!!

Sonos is the most expensive since i have to buy the bridge to hook it up to my router and the ZP90 to connect to the audio device. But I know that Sonos can do everything I want (a friend of mine has it and works perfectly) even to play the music stored in my Itouch without using my laptop. The sonos app for itouch works great too. $450 tooo expensive.

Airport express: the cheepeast BUT i have to have always the computer on, to connect the Itunes. Perfect Remote control. $90, perfect!!

Squeezebox: I don't know much about it. I think, after reading reviews, I'd need only the receiver ($100) but i don't know if i could control it from my itouch, and people say that the setup might be complicated. And don't know, whether I'll be able to play radio music (pandora, lastfm...) from my itouch without connecting the pc. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The big deal, I guess is to play the radio and music from my itouch straight to the streamer and then to the speakers. Sonos does this, the question is: does any of the other devices do this??

Then that's my problem, I don't know what to do, Of course Sonos will solve all my problems but because of I have everthing except the streamer I thougth I could find something cheaper.

Thanks for reading and please if you know any solution let me know.

Squeezebox solution requires PC Software running in order to use the squeezbox for anything. period. no exceptions.

your confused on sonos. It does not play music on your ipod touch to the speakers unless you hook the analog output to sonos or stereo. It plays music off your PC or fileserver using your iphone as a remote control.

Until airplay ships what you mentioned just doesn't exist.

Sean

·
Registered
208 Posts
I highly recommend the squeezebox Touch. You can stream music from Pandora, LastFM, etc, without turning on your computer. Being able to see the album art of whatever Pandora is playing is also very entertaining.

It's not the cheapest option as far as streamer goes, a lot of media player also can do Pandora (such as my WDTV which is less than $100), but you need a TV to see the UI and it's not designed for music playback so the interface is not as nice. The Squeezebox Touch is a dedicated music playback device and it does the job quite well.

Amazon is selling it now for $250 which is not bad at all. You might be able to find even better deals locally on craigslist.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith /forum/post/19510644

Squeezebox solution requires PC Software running in order to use the squeezbox for anything. period. no exceptions

That's not true. I can stream music from Pandora when my computer is OFF. This requires a mysqueezebox.com account, which you can get for free (basically the SB talks to mysqueezebox.com instead of your computer).

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgoose
That's not true. I can stream music from Pandora when my computer is OFF. This requires a mysqueezebox.com account, which you can get for free (basically the SB talks to mysqueezebox.com instead of your computer).
Thats good to know. so If I dont want to play LAN music then I dont need squeeze server. Wish I could play lan content without it too because I really dislike slim server.

BTW: I have 8 zone apple system and a 3 zone Logitech System.

Sean

·
Registered
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith
BTW: I have 8 zone apple system and a 3 zone Logitech System.

Sean
Nice! I am not too fond of the server either (it's in perl no less!
but I guess it gets the job done ok.

I thought about building a low powered atom PC to just host the SB server and leave it on 24x7, but that idea got scratched after I started using my computer as a DVR to do recording (SageTV). It's addictive and the computer is on a lot more now than before, so might as well leave it on when I listen to music.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then, I could hook up the squeezebox to the stereo system and connect it wireless to the router, right??

And could I use the itouch as a remote of the library when the pc is on??

And can I listen the music as well as the radio (pandora, lastfm...) right from my itouch when the computer is off??

What squeeze box should I buy if I only need the receiver???

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I use iTunes,Airports,iTouch and ATV's currently and the only thing i'm laking is Panodora. I've been researching Sean's tip on the new OS for iTouch 4.2 which should have full Airplay support to stream directly from iTouch/phone/pad. The 4.2 should drop any day now. I loaded the Pandora iPhone app in anticipation. If this really works as promised, Airplay will certainly change EVERYTHING.

I suggest you wait until the OS 4.2 is available.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for answers,

Mayhem, So then with an airport wired to the audio device und wireless to my router i know is possible to control the itunes of my pc with remote app in my itouch, when the pc is on, but What happend if my pc is off?? Could I listen any music (radio or music stored in the itouch) from the itouch without turning on my computer??

Thanx

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
supposedly, any Ixxx device on the network can play content from touch/pad/phone....just audio in the behinning, but video is coming in the 2nd revision. On the top of the device toolbar, there'll be an Airplay icon which will have a drop down menu showing all of the devices on the network. Another pretty wild thing is that 3rd party devices from Marantz,Denon,Yammy and Pio will be able to receive the content on their network enabled Avr's and BD players. I was going to get a new AVR for my HT this week but now i'm going to wait for the Airplay thing to break as some network enabled devices already available may have this feature already waiting to be enabled with new firmware. Only time will tell but like i said earlier, this really changes everything from a convenience feature. Now i kinda understand why there's no local storage on the the new ATV.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niidea
The original AppleTV is very inexpensive and will do everthing you want except Pandora. Sync your itunes library to the ATV and you computer doesn't need to be on since the music is on the ATV hard drive. These are easily found on Ebay for less than $100. Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To understand everything:

Mayhem, you say that with the Airport Express Base station wired to the stereo and connected (the airport) wireless to my internet wifi, i can listen the music from my itouch (1st generation) without a computer turned on, right??

Besides of having all my itunes library and radio (lastfm or similar) with the itouch as remote whenever the pc is running.

If that's possible, tomorrow I'm buying the airport

Jerndl, Is the appleTV a substitute of the airport or should I have also the airport express??

Mario

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
I have looked about both Sonos and Logitech. I reviewed the logitech sequeezebox radio ( you can see review here ) and overall I liked the device. The Radio is definitely underpowered to be a main player, but makes a nice secondary player. I actually now have mine set up at work playing Pandora.

In my house I have Sonos set up (I have an S5 and one of the Zone players) and use my iPod Touch to control. I am very happy with Sonos and will most likely be adding more zones over time (probably another S5 soon).

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niidea
To understand everything:

Jerndl, Is the appleTV a substitute of the airport or should I have also the airport express??

Mario
With the ATV you do not need the the airport express. The ATV connects via the the built-in wireless n or wired ethernet. It has optical and analog audio outputs. I use one of my 3 ATVs in the way you are describing. I don't have any video hooked up to it, only optical to a receiver. It provides music to my outdoor pool deck area and I control it with my iphone (no computer required to be on). You can stream internet radio using predefined stations. You can also add your own stations but it is little bit if a kludge. For music purposes I believe that the ATV does everything the airport express does plus has local storage plus video capabilities if you want down the road. Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
If Pandora is really important there are 2 options to get to work with the ATV.

1. Use Airfoil which will send any audio playing on your PC/Mac to an airport express or ATV - $25 and requires PC to be on.

2. Run Pandora on the ATV via Boxee (free non-destructive hack required to install Boxee) - does not require PC to be on.

Jay

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wow, what a good information!! thanks

Ok I'm changing my mind, the best option for me I think is the ATV, maybe i'll change my opinion soon
, because I have the stereo underneath the TV, so with ATV I could stream video and rent movies too.

I've been reading about it and as far as I understood, in a short term is gonna be possible to stream anything from the itouch right to the ATV with the airplay, which is coming soon. Am I right??

Another question about ATV: will airplay work with the ATV 1st gen?? Cause in that case i would prefer the 1st gen ATV as it can store up to 40gigas of music and play it without using the pc, and after, with the airplay releases I will be able to listen all my radios (Spotify Lastfm Pandora...) straight from the Itouch.

Sorry, but I have too many doubts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niidea /forum/post/19513948

Another question about ATV: will airplay work with the ATV 1st gen?? Cause in that case i would prefer the 1st gen ATV as it can store up to 40gigas of music and play it without using the pc, and after, with the airplay releases I will be able to listen all my radios (Spotify Lastfm Pandora...) straight from the Itouch.

Sorry, but I have too many doubts

No airplay will not work with the 1st gen ATV. Unfortunately you have to decide whether the local storage or airplay is more important. Unless you want to get both an original ATV and a new one. Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Airplay will work with Airport Express, ATV 2G, iTouch2G+,iPad,iPhone.

I wouldn't purchase anything until iOS4.2 launch and the functionality is revealed, tested and updated if needed. Streaming iTunes right now without Airplay (no Pandora though) and it works extremely well with great SQ, awesome convenience and very relaible on a wireless N network.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts