AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for something along the lines of a low profile 60" or longer console table that I can put my Receiver, DVD player, Sat Receiver, XBOX, and Monster Pure Power box into...

Pref wood. I love the stuff from BDI , but no way my wife is gonna let me spend another $1500 bucks on a table... she hasnt even seen the size of my SVS subwoofer yet!

I'm looking to spend only $300-400 right now, but plan to upgrade later... I know, you spend $20K on a HT, what's another grand for a great console.... tell it to my wife!

The new house is already costing us $75K over budget as is....

So, any recommendations for an expensive cool console table/entertainment center?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
You find one, you be sure to tell us. Okay? :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Looks like you found your unit Mark. I was looking at the same piece myself. Entertainment centers are expensive, You could easily pay as much for it than you did for the TV. Some are truly stunning but at $1000+, I just couldn't see it for me at the time. I was about to buy the piece you're looking at when I went to the Salvation Army store with the thought of modifying an old dresser into a entertainment unit. I thought it would be cheaper and given me better lines and more storage.

I'm working on it as we speak, I've painted it flat black, with an undercoat of a color that looks like natural cherry wood, so I can distress it if I like to get that antique look. I've taken out the drawers and cut out the center of them along the nice curved design that was there. I will put glass on the inside of the drawers and attach hinges so there swing open like regular cabinet doors. Finally I will modify and reinforce the 9, that's right 9, drawer openings for my components and it's done in a few days then I can get started on mounting the new 42" plasma above it.

Total cost should be about $125, and it can surely be done cheaper. That's roughly $500 savings over the unit I was going to buy and $250 savings over the 2nd option which is the unit you're considering now. Plus, I'll have a custom unit with plenty of storage and the great sense of pride from the DYI project. So if you're a bit handy maybe DYI maybe an option. My wife is thrilled with it so far because it's looking good and mostly because I'm saving money. And it's a option that could easily hold a person over until they can afford a nicer unit.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Mark, take one of the w's out of that URL.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like I may have to go with the first pick... my AVR4806 is 19.7" deep! The top console is 23" deep, the others are only 17-19" deep.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I've you're into DIY stuff check out building a flexi-rack. I built one. It took $78 in tools and building materials.

I have many pictures of different designs people have done themselves, however, I'm unable to post the link since this is my first post.

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I love you guys! Thanks Launche, you saved me $160 bucks!

Thanks again,

Mark

[edit]... Just called them, they'll match the web price of $183.99.... but they want $70 bucks more for an assembled one. So I saved $88 bucks. $70 bucks is worth it to save me assembly time... I read several reviews of this product at circuit city's website... all the reviews were very favorable as to the quality of this piece, but they all said it takes 2.5-3 hours to assemble this beast!

M.

·
Registered
355 Posts
No problem Mark, just paying it forward. The Forums have saved me a few hundred as well. Let me know how that baby works out. I'm jealous now, hell I just spent 2.5-3 hours breaking down my old unit, at $70 that would be about $23 an hour. As a full time job that would pay about $45,000 a yr, hmmm let me call Circuit City to see if they have anymore openings for product assemblers :D I still have a few more hours to go on my DYI unit, which I would say I spent about 7-10 hours on at a savings of around $475, that's roughly $50 hr...damn labor is expensive.

Mark, I can surely understand those who value their time and less frustration in certain situations to have someone else do the work. I'm frugal these days, so I would have taken the $160 savings. Because that's roughly what an electrician qouted me to run wires to wall mount my plasma. So I cracked open an outlet, checked my wall setup out and will see what my options are for doing it myself (probably will have to fork over the green to the pro, I don't know much about electrical work). But trust me I'm going explore to see if I can get away without calling them.

Looks like I can just gets some Romex and run it inside the baseboard, then cut the hole for the new outlet and fish the wire to it and make the connections... seems simply, I know CODE, CODE, CODE.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.