AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering, I have a Westinghouse LVM-42w2 right now. I sit about 12' from the TV. It just looks tiny on the wall.

Will a 52" be sufficient? I stuck a tape measure on the wall yesterday and even went to BB to look at 52" but I'm having a hard time really understanding or visualizing the size difference.

I'm looking at the following:

* Toshiba REGZA 52HL167 ($1999 at Amazon, free ship)

* Samsung LNT5265F ($2199 at Amazon, free ship - also $2199 at BB but then there is tax )

* Sharp Acquos LC52D64U - $2349 Amazon shipped

* Sony Bravia KDL52W3000 - $2399 Amazon shipped

Here's the room:

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parafly9 /forum/post/12920236

I'm wondering, I have a Westinghouse LVM-42w2 right now. I sit about 12' from the TV. It just looks tiny on the wall.

Will a 52" be sufficient?

An ideal size for 12 feet is 65", so no.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm88 /forum/post/12920249

An ideal size for 12 feet is 65", so no.

Well, there's no way I'm getting a TV that big unfortunately

What if I moved 2' closer to around 10'?

I modified my picture. Would a 52" look anything like those two lines I drew out?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
52" is about All you could fit in that space .. so either of your selection would be nice. Oh, doesn't heat fm fireplace cause problem(s)?

the debate on distance vs. size is discussed here many times; I'm having same decision .. going w/ 52" LCD/only 1080i avail. (or) the Pio 5080 plasma/720p where distance vs. size vs. ascernible resolution is ideal.

edit: Sony 52W3000; poor off-angle (Tosh 52hl167), no bands (Sharp) no reflection (Samsung 5265).. etc.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parafly9 /forum/post/12920283

What if I moved 2' closer to around 10'?

52" @ 10 feet is still pretty far; you'd barely be able to resolve 720p let alone 1080p sources. For 52", I'd recommend a viewing distance of 8 feet. Moving your chair forward is a lot cheaper than buying a bigger set.

If you want to have an idea of how much bigger it is than your current set, just take a ruler along the diagonal and add 10". You'll see it's really not much and you really need 65"+ for 12 feet.

Resolution chart: http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son /forum/post/12920336

52" is about All you could fit in that space ..

Judging from the picture, he could fit a 77" wide set in between those windows. The Sharp 65" is only about 60" wide.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No way can I afford a 65" TV (what, like $5k? !)

I really can't push the couch too much closer either because it's over the TV and i'll be staring upwards haha

I just dont want tospend $2k on a TV to upgrade from 42" to 52" and then have it appear to be the same on the wall.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm88 /forum/post/12920409

Judging from the picture, he could fit a 77" wide set in between those windows. The Sharp 65" is only about 60" wide.

yes, that's true .. but wouldn't he 'not' want to 'overwhelm' that wall space/fireplace mantel area(?)

edit: cut-out template of rough guesstimate 52" x 34" and see how that appears fm sitting area(s).

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parafly9 /forum/post/12920446

I just dont want tospend $2k on a TV to upgrade from 42" to 52" and then have it appear to be the same on the wall.

Maybe consider a plasma? The 58" Panasonic TH-58PH10UKA is pretty nice and only $2,200. It has 1366x768 resolution, which is plenty for your viewing distance. And 58" is a very noticeable improvement over 42". Not to mention, your viewing angle is a bit steep, and a plasma doesn't have viewing angle issues.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm88 /forum/post/12920522

Maybe consider a plasma? The 58" Panasonic TH-58PH10UKA is pretty nice and only $2,200. It has 1366x768 resolution, which is plenty for your viewing distance. And 58" is a very noticeable improvement over 42". Not to mention, your viewing angle is a bit steep, and a plasma doesn't have viewing angle issues.

I'm really hung up on the 1080p, perhaps because I watch blu-rays. Recently when playing video games to get the right "look" I've been in the habit of standing up in front of the TV so I can get closer. I really rarely play from the couch.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Check out the Viewing Distance Calculator for some guidelines.

Your screen is way too high ... at least drop it closer to the mantle.

You could do a 92" electric drop screen and ceiling mounted projector for under $1500.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parafly9 /forum/post/12920556

I'm really hung up on the 1080p, perhaps because I watch blu-rays. Recently when playing video games to get the right "look" I've been in the habit of standing up in front of the TV so I can get closer. I really rarely play from the couch.

Ugh. Now I'm thinking I'd rather not be in a situation where in a year I'm having remorse.

Maybe I should look at like a Samsung FTP5884 ($3200 shipped) which is 58".

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've never heard anyone say, "Oh I should have gotten the smaller one". I HAVE heard "We coulda/shoulda got the BIGGER one.

Scotty

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parafly9 /forum/post/12920643

58"
Why are you limiting yourself to such small a screen??

·
Registered
443 Posts
This is a tough one. I am more into LCD than Plasma because of my gaming habits and the fact that my viewing environment is full of ambient light during the day.

A 58" Plasma would be great there due to its viewing angle advantages. However if you have a lot of light during the day LCD would perform better (Plasma would give you better blacks in the evening though).

52" would be a nice upgrade and I think you would see the difference. A 57" LCD or 58" Plasma would really be noticable though.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/12921149

Even with a budget I see 58" ones for $3300.

I can't possibly go over $4k in any circumstance. Ugh.

Well there are tax returns.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parafly9 /forum/post/12921264

I can't possibly go over $4k in any circumstance

Well, that's why I suggested front projection. For $4k you could have a very nice 1080p 120" setup !!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/12921149

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/12921303

Well, that's why I suggested front projection. For $4k you could have a very nice 1080p 120" setup !!

Don't I have issues though with my room being bright? Plus I would need to get it installed which would be a bear probably. I do like projection

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parafly9 /forum/post/12920556

I'm really hung up on the 1080p, perhaps because I watch blu-rays.

You can't resolve 1080p at the distances you're talking about; you need to stand 6-7 feet from a 52-58" screen to do so (check out the resolution chart I linked you, and follow the red line).

Plus, viewing angle is going to be a serious issue with the set up so high, and plasma will solve that problem.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I was just as Best BUy and checking out the TV's. They had one area on the wall wehere they had a 42", a 50", a 58" and a 63" all next to each other.

I'm really thinking I need to go minimum 58 at this point.

I like the projector idea but I do'nt have the motivation or energy really to install a screen drop in the ceiling, install the project mount on the ceiling, and then get all the wires (well actually it's just the one HDMI wire but still) up to it. Plus I don't have the darkest living room. The blinds are filtering and not blocking. The light isn't too bad - at night the sun sets through the windows that are to the left and right of the TV, so it really isn't that noticeable. THe only time watching TV kind of sucks is in the middle of the day.

It's funny I started today thinking , $2k or so. Now, I'm up to $3500

My wife is right though; we are'nt selling the house; we are going to be here for a while. We watch plenty of TV to warrant a better set. If I get one like this, I plan on keeping it there for at least 7-10 years this time. I'm thinking 58 might work. I have to go measure the window.

ALso, will the viewing angle be an issue? I have an angled wall mount now (which I need to replace) but if I just angle it down it should be fine, no? I cna't put the TV too low because of the jut from the fireplace mantle.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts