AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..I just bought 2 - 5060s to replace my Showstopper and Replay 2000. Sold the Showstopper on Ebay. The Replay 2000 has a quirky motherboard (must be what was spilled in it by a small, lucky to be alive child). I canceled my phone line (i was only using it for the replays) and only have my Vonage line (which I cant get to work with Replay). I would love to keep it as a third box, but with no way to connect for show listings, doesnt make much sense. I could sell it as is, replace the motherboard for $100 and maybe get $250-$300 on Ebay or keep it as a large paperweight. Any ideas?

Jamie

·
Registered
373 Posts
Not worth fixing IMHO. A 3000 or Showstopper might be worth a little effort, but not a 2000. I say donate it to a local charity and take a tax deduction :)

·
Registered
653 Posts
You know what they say about opinions...

They are like peoples rear ends... Everybody has one and they usually stink!

But seriously. Sell it on Ebay as is. Be honest about it's condition, but I am sure someone will buy it. I have friend that only buys broken stuff on Ebay.

You collect enough and you can mix and match parts and make one good one.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I second that. Sell it on ebay and be honest. There's some people who might want to try to fix it.

Donating it is almost a good idea, but personally I think about how the world goes round. The person buying it is probably wasting their money. Donating it would lend to a 'paperweight america'. Evil people with an IQ (like me! j/k) even know not to crap in their neighbor's lawn. Of course this is merely one person's stinky opinion.

You could send it to Mikeyboy and make him pay shipping if you want to donate.

of the three, I'd probably sell on ebay personally (sorry mikey)

cow

·
Registered
373 Posts
If the "quirky motherboard" was caused by a spill of some liquid, have you tried the obvious solution of cleaning it? If you're handing with a screwdriver, it shouldn't be too much trouble to just remove it and give it a good cleaning with a spray-on electronics solvent/degreaser/cleaner. The stuff usually only costs about $7-8 a can.

Also, I just have to point out that donating "quirky" equipment, just as with selling it on ebay, is fine as long as you disclose the problem. Somtimes places that accept donations have enough carcasses of dead gear to fix items up. Some, however, won't accept broken stuff. YMMV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.