AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that the Channel Master 4228 is one of the best ota antenna's around. At least that's what I think I read. What's the best antenna for me?

I live outside Sacramento, CA in a punk a$$ town called Davis. About 15 miles away. I have a one story duplex w/ some trees around. I have directv hd but I want the local channels...

I tried a radio shack double bowtie inside but it didn't get anything. So I'm gonna pin something up on the chimney...just don't know what to get.

Also, I can't find the best price on the CM 4228...anyone? I did find it for $50 but then they wanted $30 for shipping!!!! wtf? they also had the 4221 for $30 but wanted $35 for shipping on it! I'd rather not get a lesser price just to pay more on the backend for shipping... I hate that scam.

FInally, what additional stuff will I need to attach/mount this pig? Does it come w/ the 'mast' or is that separate? Can I just bungie it to the chimney? :p Thanks all!

~Rob

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought 4228 from ConsumerDirect a few month ago with free shipping.

I seems to me that, with ConsumerDirect, depending how you get to their web site, you get different shipping quote. If I go to their web site directly, I have to pay for the shipping cost. I stumble into a link from Google, and get free shipping.

You can mount directly against the chimney, but then, you can not rotate it.

I mount it against my chimney easily with 2 screws, the direction is slightly off, but I still can pull in all channels .

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Rob - either one would probably work. 4228 has better gain and directionality which is always a plus. I would clamp a mast to your chimney using the standard straps for that type of mounting and put the 4228 up as high as feasible with ability to rotate for fine-tuning the direction. If your towers are widely scattered, put a rotor on it as well so you can dial it in from your lazyboy.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
What model OTA HD STB did you use to test reception with the Radio Shack double bowtie? DId you add the proper 300ohm to 75ohm balun for it? At 15 miles you shouldn't need a large antenna like the CM4228 thats for 40+miles. The smaller 4221 is more than enough, I got one mail-order for $25 + $8 shipping.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Yes, you may want to try the Model 4221 (a.k.a. 3021). A good antenna that you can mount on a wall or a chimney; paint the screen the same color as the wall and it almost disappears (with antennas such as that one around, I don't believe people pay >$100 for poorer-performing "designer" so-called "HDTV" antennas").

Re: shipping -- keep in mind that some antennas marked "UPS shippable" are just-barely that. One dimension of the box may be so big, that UPS assesses extra "special handling" charges.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TheOski
I would be very careful ordering this antenna from Solid Signal, because they use really crappy shipping boxes.
Every Winegard and Channelmaster Yagi, Log periodic and bowtie antenna I have ever ordered from any dealer or distributor was shipped in the manufacturer's box. None of them are sturdy, but the replacement cost of antennas damaged in shipment is cheap, so I expect all antennas to continue to be shipped in the same cheap, flimsy boxes regardless of who you buy them from.

·
Registered
50 Posts
When I bought my 4228 it was shipped in the manufacturer's box and it was flimsy. It is a HUGE box though and I received it undamaged. Maybe the size has something to do with the shipping cost as it really isn't that heavy?

Glenn

·
Registered
655 Posts
TheOski,

We have addressed our shipping boxes.

It should not be an issue in the future.

We take alot of pride in customer satisfaction!

Once we found out there was an issue, we addressed it!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I got two Televes from the UK in a flimsy cardboard box, but lots of padding. No damage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob4x20
well, i oredered from SolidSignal b/c they're a sponsor and obviously pay attention to us...thanks everyone.

We'll see how the install goes... :)
DITTO! (cm4228, $60 total)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.