AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for at least 35ft of HDMI 1.3a ATC certified cable that will reliably pass a 1080p signal over that distance.

I've searched the site but most threads are from 2007/08. I assume HDMI technology has changed since then? Does this type of cable exist today?

I really need 35ft minimum cable length as I need to connect my Denon avr to an epson 6500ub. The area in the ceiling consists of three 90 degree bends due to a drywalled ceiling with ducts above.

Where can I go for such a cable (assuming it's available)? I've checked out Monoprice and all they seem to have is 22awg 1.2a tin plated

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
yup. bluejeans . although i see 35 foot cables on the monoprice website...

as always, test before you put it in the wall, and run conduit if at all possible to allow pulling of another if problems occur....

edit: fwiw, read kurt's hdmi cable information on the bluejeans site. it's worth the 5 or 10 minutes it takes to read through it.

·
Registered
380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtybutnice /forum/post/16909265

Thaks Chris,

As far as I can see, the Monoprice 35ft cable is not certified ...?

I have a Monoprice Product 3571 (35ft) and it happily passed flawless 1080p video and high-resolution audio between a Blu-ray player and 52" flat panel here at work during some validation tests I was doing.

Your results may vary, but for the money... it's hard to beat.

Since you only need to pass the 1080p VIDEO signal and are not concerned with high-resolution audio, I don't understand the need for a 1.3 rated cable. 1080p has been part of the HDMI spec since version 1.0 You only need 1.3 if you are concerned about Deep Colour (but you need a source that will output it, good luck with that) or bitstreaming high-resolution audio codecs.

Don't get caught up in the marketing!

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
naughty, did you read the information on the website that i suggested you read?

kinglear... don't confuse cable compliance with hdmi specs...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris,

Yup...read it. They also say that almost any cable under 50ft will pass 1080p. There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer other than - try various cables !!! BTW, it seems that these articles were written almost two years ago (oct 2007) - is it not likely that technology has changed since?

Now i'm even more confused than before! It seems choosing a cable is harder than choosing a receiver, PJ etc

As I see it, only Bluejeans seems to be so 'open' about their products? I tried cablestogo and they couldn't supply me with a Certificate (if fact the rep didn't even know what Category 1 or 2 were !)

Perhaps I should just order the Series 1 from Bluejeans although they're a lot more than I was expecting to pay (sub $100). I don't see the point in going cheaper as by their own logic any half decent cable will pass 1080p below 50ft .... they're also out of stock of series 2 anyways!

Or perhaps I should go with Component cables ???

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
nope. technology hasn't changed, at least in terms of cable construct, since then...

bluejeans is the only one who is open about it because kurt (the guy who owns the company) isn't a cable shaman and doesn't ascribe mystical qualities to cables... he just sells well constructed cables at a reasonable price...

drop him an email... he's always really helpful and friendly, and he'll never try to bs you... i'd trust him to give me an honest answer...

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'll second the recommendation for the Blue Jeans cable - I have a 35' Series 1 Blue Jeans cable and it works perfectly. It's a bit stiff, but I had no problem running it even with several bends. Just make sure you test it before running it. I also use a Monoprice angle adapter to avoid strain on my projector (side-mounted HDMI port, cable comes from the back). These angle adaptors are

·
Registered
152 Posts
I also stand by the blue jeans cable. I have 35ft running from my VSX01 to my PJ and it works perfect. Although like the other guy said the cable is pretty stiff and my connector came loose from such an awkward postition. It still works but I am afraid I might have to get another later down the road, and it will probably be another BlueJean cable.

Just make sure there is not alot of tension on the cable, I rushed the end of my install and it was a big mistake.

·
Vendor
93 Posts
The Monoprice 22AWG, 35ft are HDMI certfied. They are certified to HDMI 1.2a specs, which in a side by side comparison, is a higher standard than 1.3, category 1 which has a bandwidth measured up to 75 mhz, but not as high as 1.3, category 2 which has a bandwidth of up to 340 mhz. The benchmark for 1.2 is 165 mhz. Basically, the HDMI organization sandwiched the old specs with 1.3 when it first came out allowing both lower and higher performance cables meet the new standard.

·
Registered
556 Posts
No, that's incorrect. The 1.2 standard did not call for testing at 165 MHz (1.6 Gbps) on the clock; testing was done only at 74.25 MHz (742.5 Mbps). This is the same bitrate as the current Category 1 testing, although the 1.3 testing is actually a bit more rigorous because the input signal amplitude is lower. Category 2 testing, which did not exist until 1.3, is done at 165 (unequalized) and 340 (equalized) and must pass both.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable

·
Vendor
93 Posts
Thanks for the insight KurtBJC. I believe you are correct, the overall testing proceedure for 1.3 is more rigorous than that of previous version. However, I was basing my statements regarding bandwidth on the information available on the HDMI website. Their whitepaper states, "Any digital interface is ultimately limited by the bandwidth, or speed, of the connection. In the case of HDMI 1.3, that upper boundary is the 340MHz data rate per channel (for a total of 10.2Gbps of total bandwidth) at which the interface runs (though HDMI has the technical foundation to further increase speeds in the future). The DVI specification and versions of HDMI up through 1.2 support a maximum single-link bandwidth of 165MHz per channel (4.95Gbps)" and "With HDMI 1.3 there is a new classification system for cables. Category 1 HDMI cables are rated to carry signals at a minimum rate of 74.25MHz (2.23Gbps), which is sufficient for 720p or 1080i resolution signals. Category 2 cables are specified to support the complete 340MHz (10.2Gbps) signal, supporting resolutions well beyond existing HD standards."

http://www.hdmi.org/pdf/whitepaper/S...aperv73(2).pdf

·
Registered
556 Posts
It's a bit confusing, to be sure. Initially they set the top single-link bandwidth at the 1.65 Gbps/channel rate, but only tested cables up to 742.5 Mbps--I never have quite understood why that tack was taken. It will be interesting to see what the 1.4 Compliance Testing Spec says, when that finally comes out.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.