AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the audio game, but have the money and figured it's about time. between these two set-ups, what is the best value? I know sound is a personal preference, but I'm talking technical spec value. If you do have either of these feel free to throw in your input. I've listened to the Klipsch set-up a few times but not the Polk. I really like the Klipsch, though it was a little sharp at times without turning the treble down a little. (it was transformers which has a lot of those sounds). The two set-ups are 5.1 and I'll get a 7.1 or 7.2 receiver to add to later.

To the good stuff...

Klipsch set-up (w/o receiver)

Front: VF-35

Center: VC-25

Rear: VS-14

Subwoofer: Sub-12

Polk set-up (w/o receiver)

Front: TSi 500

Center: CS20

Rear: TSi 200

Subwoofer: PSW125

I know very little about how to compare the numbers, or what exactly they mean. I have a small understanding of them, but I am just getting into this. Right now I have a logitech 5.1 computer speaker set-up on my TV (Samsung 56" LED DLP 1080p), and I would like to move to something real. Money isn't an issue between the two, so pretending that both systems cost exactly the same, which one would be better for the money? What if one system was $100 more than the other? Say Polk was $100 more than Klipsch, which one would be a better buy? Say Klipsch was $100 more than Polk, which would be a better buy? Thanks for any help.

Also, for anyone who wants to offer any more help... What is a better receiver for either of those systems?

Yamaha RX-V665

or
Yamaha RX-V1065

Comparison

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I would go listen to the Polk. They are one of the most popular speakers for retailers so finding them shouldn't be hard. They don't sound like Klipsch at all IMO.

I am not a low end Yamaha guy. The power they put out is nowhere near the stated numbers with 5/7 channels driven. The higher end unit should be better as the numbers are across the whole sound spectrum, not 1Khz like the 665. You could also go with the 665 and add an external amp like the Emotiva XPA-3.

Since you didn't like the Klipsch, try the Polk. I would really try to listen to them first though but they are more laid back than Klipsch. There are a lot of options in your budget and doing some listening could steer you to another company like Infinity, Energy, Definitive Technology, Paradigm, etc. Take your time or you might end up with a system you don't like and have to upgrade in a short period of time.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Instead of going with the TSI series, you might want to look into the Monitor series. The Monitor 70 is basically the same as the TSI 500. The equivalent to the TSI 200 is the Monitor 40. Newegg.com has them on closeout prices.

·
Registered
57 Posts
FYI: AV noob here, so, take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt.

Okay, I know that this may not help terribly much, but, if you're looking at Klipsch, you might want to consider Acoustech . They are supposed to put out sound that is pretty in line with the higher end Klipschs at a far lower price. Also, they are supposed to be more mellow.

There is an Acoustech owners thread on these forums if you're curious.

·
Registered
894 Posts
It depends. A lot of (though not all) people prefer the sound of the Polks, but the Klipsch speakers are significantly more sensitive, meaning that you'll get more sound from the same amount of power, and more maximum sound given a particular amp setup. (And yeah, no current Yamaha model anywhere near your price range will give you full rated power. Try to get a Pioneer Elite SC on closeout.) So if you have a large space and are sitting far from the speakers, the Klipsch will let you listen at reference volume with less driver compression/amp clipping. (This won't necessarily help if you don't like their sound in the first place, of course, but the room EQ from a good AVR may be able to flatten the high end response a bit.)

In a medium or smaller room this won't matter -- 91db is pretty reasonably sensitive anyway.

In either case, and particularly if you get the Polk, you should get a good internet direct sub instead of the brand matching one. You'll get much, much better performance for your money.

·
Registered
224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 /forum/post/16908427

In either case, and particularly if you get the Polk, you should get a good internet direct sub instead of the brand matching one. You'll get much, much better performance for your money.

+1

Forgot to mention this myself.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicodemusblasko /forum/post/16908389

FYI: AV noob here, so, take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt.

Okay, I know that this may not help terribly much, but, if you're looking at Klipsch, you might want to consider Acoustech . They are supposed to put out sound that is pretty in line with the higher end Klipschs at a far lower price. Also, they are supposed to be more mellow.

There is an Acoustech owners thread on these forums if you're curious.

FYI The brand is Bic. Acoustech is just one of their lines.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the responses guys. The reason I put those two systems was that I can get them at a very good price (around 50-65% off MSRP), so going with other brands wont necessarily go in my favor. In the end, they end up being about 150 bucks different in price (polk is cheaper). I haven't heard the polk, but I guess I can go check some out and see what I think. The reason I put those 2 receivers in particular were that I listened to quite a few in a home theater display room and I wasn't impressed with the pioneers I heard, and I wasn't super happy with any of the denons on display either. I get a decent price on the all of those. I really liked the 665 way more than the others. (much crisper sound, more bass from the fronts, overall just better all around IMO) the set-up on the 665 was 7 ch enhanced with the bass and treble both at +10db. I didn't get to demo the 1065, but mostly wanted info based off the specs. I'm guessing based off what some of you said though I should probably go with the 1065 since it has more w/ channel and it has the numbers are across the whole sound spectrum. I should be able to hear it soon.

I really did like the Klipsch speakers, but I don't know how those polk compare. I was just curious if the polk was more expensive would it still be the best bet. Any more input is still appreciated. Thanks again.

·
Registered
29,109 Posts

Quote:
I haven't heard the polk, but I guess I can go check some out and see what I think.

I think you really need to bring in some of your own music and then test both brands of speakers. you'll know which sound you like better.

I'm not a fan of Klipsch horn tweeters but other people love them. sounds like you have some kind of best buy connection so they have many other brands to audition other than Polk and Klipsch. Keep your options open.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 /forum/post/16910999

Best Buy discounts can be topped. You aren't really getting better value than buying over the internet.

Do you have any suggestions of where to look? Say my budget is around $1500 for 5.1 and receiver. Like I said, I'm just getting into this whole thing and know minimal about what is good and where to look.

·
Registered
872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/16907928

I would go listen to the Polk. They are one of the most popular speakers for retailers so finding them shouldn't be hard. They don't sound like Klipsch at all IMO.

I am not a low end Yamaha guy. The power they put out is nowhere near the stated numbers with 5/7 channels driven. The higher end unit should be better as the numbers are across the whole sound spectrum, not 1Khz like the 665. You could also go with the 665 and add an external amp like the Emotiva XPA-3.

Since you didn't like the Klipsch, try the Polk. I would really try to listen to them first though but they are more laid back than Klipsch. There are a lot of options in your budget and doing some listening could steer you to another company like Infinity, Energy, Definitive Technology, Paradigm, etc. Take your time or you might end up with a system you don't like and have to upgrade in a short period of time.

I agree. Energys are worth taking a look at for sure.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho....php?p=2888872

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=16747205

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84291

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83333

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84983

·
Registered
499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/16907928

The Yamaha line reportedly jumps up to a more capable amp section beginning with the 765. This is noticeable when you compare the weight of the 765 vs the 665. I wouldn't try to drive a 7 channel system that includes tower speakers with the smaller AVR without first reducing my expectations.

It is getting harder to go and hear speakers in my area and I'm assuming that applies to other areas as well. We have a couple of Best Buys and a couple of smaller AV shops. I think that amounts to about a half dozen different brands that I could readily go out and listen to - and the listening environment in the BB's is far less than desirable, unless they have a Magnolia. If you hear something you love, buy it if you have the means. If you don't, take good notes and search here for the brands that others think might correct the deficiencies that you hear. Once you are satisfied with what you have, DO NOT log back in here or you'll forever be thinking of that next upgrade Good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaudioguy /forum/post/16913194

The Yamaha line reportedly jumps up to a more capable amp section beginning with the 765. This is noticeable when you compare the weight of the 765 vs the 665. I wouldn't try to drive a 7 channel system that includes tower speakers with the smaller AVR without first reducing my expectations.

It is getting harder to go and hear speakers in my area and I'm assuming that applies to other areas as well. We have a couple of Best Buys and a couple of smaller AV shops. I think that amounts to about a half dozen different brands that I could readily go out and listen to - and the listening environment in the BB's is far less than desirable, unless they have a Magnolia. If you hear something you love, buy it if you have the means. If you don't, take good notes and search here for the brands that others think might correct the deficiencies that you hear. Once you are satisfied with what you have, DO NOT log back in here or you'll forever be thinking of that next upgrade Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. Yes sadly it is very limited on demo options out here as well. I was however able to compare the Yamaha 665 and 765 today, and it had a noticeable difference, I'm guessing based off what mbyrnes said with the fact that it's range is across the whole sound spectrum. The 765 is the first model going up their product line (365, 465, 565, etc) that offers that, and the 1065 has that as well. I'm guessing the 1065 will be even better than the 765 even though I couldn't demo it. My last question is on the klipsch set-up, since the lowest powered speaker is 50 w cont/ 200 w peak, and the highest powered is 100 w cont/ 400 w peak, and the 1065 puts out 105 w/ channel, that won't be too much for the smaller speakers will it? Thanks again for all of the help.

·
Registered
499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthscrapE /forum/post/16915507

Thanks for the advice. Yes sadly it is very limited on demo options out here as well. I was however able to compare the Yamaha 665 and 765 today, and it had a noticeable difference, I'm guessing based off what mbyrnes said with the fact that it's range is across the whole sound spectrum. The 765 is the first model going up their product line (365, 465, 565, etc) that offers that, and the 1065 has that as well. I'm guessing the 1065 will be even better than the 765 even though I couldn't demo it. My last question is on the klipsch set-up, since the lowest powered speaker is 50 w cont/ 200 w peak, and the highest powered is 100 w cont/ 400 w peak, and the 1065 puts out 105 w/ channel, that won't be too much for the smaller speakers will it? Thanks again for all of the help.

If you actually were able to pump your AVR's maximum wattage to any of these speakers, you wouldn't be able to stay in the room for long. Usually the question is whether or not any given AVR has enough power, not too much. Klipsch speakers are known for being very efficient and easy to drive, relatively speaking. I'm just not fond of the Klipsch sound. It seems people either love or hate them.

Also, I'd assume that the 1065 sounds virtually the same as the 765, and that the main difference is mostly just bells and whistles, although I haven't compared the two directly. You may actually be able to get your hands on a closeout 663 or 863, which would give you everything you probably need and in many people's opinions have better amp sections.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
If you have a Best Buy hookup, try the Klipsch W series (WF towers, WB bookshelfs). Way smoother than the VF line. I know some stores have them.

Oh, and by the way, the Acoustech are no where remotely close to the higher end Klipsch (like the RF-83 or RF-63)...not even in the same ballpark.

Danley is better than all of them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundood /forum/post/16921823

If you have a Best Buy hookup, try the Klipsch W series (WF towers, WB bookshelfs). Way smoother than the VF line. I know some stores have them.

Oh, and by the way, the Acoustech are no where remotely close to the higher end Klipsch (like the RF-83 or RF-63)...not even in the same ballpark.

Danley is better than all of them.

None of the BBs around here have them plus I'm sure it would be over my budget which is right around $1500, +/-$100, with a receiver. I would love to get a W series or even the Reference, but really I didn't have any issues with the VF line, especially after turning the treble down a little which seemed to compensate for that sharper high that people mention. I didn't even have much of a problem with it, I just thought they sounded even better with it down a little. I wish that I had somewhere I could look and hear the polk and klipsch side by side with the receiver I want, but I guess that would be asking too much. I would at least like to be able to hear the Polk which sucks because I don't think I could pull the trigger on something I haven't ever heard even if it is a little cheaper. In the end I am just getting into this and can upgrade in the future if I feel the need. Anything is going to sound nicer than the logitech 5.1 speakers I have hooked up right now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts