AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im asking in someone elses thread about GOOD, SAFE, online stores to buy DVDs from.

I though I needed to get this front and center cause I know im not the only person who is leery about doing business with all these unknown stores online.

My back story...I ordered the Friends Complete DVD Set a couple years ago for 125$ from an online store called "superbdvdsets.com" I think I got it right, its been a while. They took my money but never sent my DVDs. I called, emailed and even chatted on msn messenger with someone from there. Nothing ever came of it. I lost all my money. Good thing is its been years and I still think of it and get so mad it keeps me up at night.

SO...knowing my story, you see why im hesitant to order from all these stores. Sure you can search Amazon, but how do you know whats "real, good, and trustworthy?" Amazon has its share of scams like anyone else.

I need help, and im sure im not the only person in this position. We.."people like me" need the people like "YOU"...Professional online shoppers, to help us to find good quality stores to shop from.

Resellerraitings.com can only do so much and most of the Amazon stores are not even on there. SO its useless for me. Here is the challenge for everyone here.

I want the Hercules Legendary Journeys AND Xena DVD complete box sets. I need everyone here to HELP me find the right store to buy them from. And remember what I said about resellerraitings.com. The stores you will find on Amazon will not be found on their site to check out.

PLease...I finally have the money to order these and I want real authentic DVDs that actually work. I have searched and searched and done all I can. Now I need the pros and everyone in between.

Thanks for any help on this subject as I know if wont only help me, but hundreds of others here.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
deepdiscount

amazon

best buy

target

walmart

In almost 10 years, I don't think I've purchased a DVD or Blu Ray from anywhere else, and most of the time it's Amazon (not a seller on Amazon).

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/18200872

deepdiscount

amazon

best buy

target

walmart

In almost 10 years, I don't think I've purchased a DVD or Blu Ray from anywhere else, and most of the time it's Amazon (not a seller on Amazon).

How do you know its Amazon you are buying from? When I click on buy NEW it brings up several stores.I dont see where they say Amazon Store?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBO Kid /forum/post/18201016

Did you use a credit card for the purchase ? You should have that protects you !

When I ordered the Friends DVDs I used a prepaid credit card but threw the card away and all the info I had on it after I used it. I got it just for the dvds..funny..live and learn.

I always use my debit card for my purchases, but have read on here and other sites that its not protected. WHICH to me is kind of crazy as its still my money and my bank and my card..

·
Registered
104 Posts
You can trust all the stores on Amazon. I sell on Amazon (jewelry, not dvds) and their standards are very high. They hold my money a long time and take it at will for the slightest complaints even when the customer never returns the item. Amazon will even cover a refund out of their own pocket if it comes down to it. They have what they call the A to Z policy, which basically lets a customer ask for a full refund for any reason and Amazon will give it without question. You may have to wait 30 days if the item gets lot by the shipper, but you will not have to worry about loosing your cash. Also sellers don't leave feedback for buyers so buyers are free to leave any feedback they want without fear of receiving a negative rating in return, so it is much harder to get a 4 or 5 star rating on Amazon look for the stores with 5 stars (like mine!). If you do have a problem, contact the seller, if you are not satisfied with their response after a day or two, go on to your Amazon account and fill out an A to Z claim and you get all your money back.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson /forum/post/18201020

How do you know its Amazon you are buying from? When I click on buy NEW it brings up several stores.I dont see where they say Amazon Store?

It will say "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" or "Fulfillment by Amazon" as in the picture below.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Alien reptiles always have the best stuff, though.

·
23,032 Posts
I pretty much use Amazon and its sellers 99% of the time. I've never had any issues with an Amazon seller.

As far as scams go, if you can't find the disc or disc set in any major DVD database, whether it be OOP or not, then chances are if someone is selling it then it's not "legit". That doesn't mean the discs aren't ok, but your chances for issues are much greater, e.g. DVDs made from VHS video, and your recourse for problems may be limited.

larry

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I made a post but dont see it, so excuse me if i get two posts here.

I buy from Amazon, and have never had a problem, either from them or their dealers. I have been doing this for too many years to count.

However if you want total safety, dont click on that button you are clicking on, click on the ADD TO SHOPPING CART button, then you will NOT even be taken to that second screen with all the vendors, you will be buying directly from Amazon. You can even have Amazon store your credit card info, then you do 1-CLICK ORDER, and you just hit that button and you are done.

But again, i have not had any problem buying from one of their vendors that have a good feedback rating if i want a lower price on a dvd.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman /forum/post/18202653

I made a post but dont see it, so excuse me if i get two posts here.

I buy from Amazon, and have never had a problem, either from them or their dealers. I have been doing this for too many years to count.

However if you want total safety, dont click on that button you are clicking on, click on the ADD TO SHOPPING CART button, then you will NOT even be taken to that second screen with all the vendors, you will be buying directly from Amazon. You can even have Amazon store your credit card info, then you do 1-CLICK ORDER, and you just hit that button and you are done.

But again, i have not had any problem buying from one of their vendors that have a good feedback rating if i want a lower price on a dvd.

That's true, if Amazon has the item in stock and for sale. If, as in this case, Amazon does not have the item in stock then you can look for a marketplace seller that lets Amazon fulfill the order; or just go ahead and use any of their marketplace sellers since, as TomBonge mentioned, Amazon holds onto the money to be sure your are satisfied before paying out to the reseller.

I buy a lot of DVDs from Amazon and thier resellers all the time (to include Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.fr, Amazon.de and Amazon.jp) and have never had a problem or concern that I would lose my money. I've had small problems with one or two marketplace sellers but everything was straigthened out. I feel very comfortable ordering from Amazon and their marketplace sellers.

If you order a lot from Amazon you can't beat their "Prime" membership! Free 2nd day air, plus next day air for only $3.99 and even Saturday delivery on many items for $4.99.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I'll add a positive for Amazon. At times they are not the lowest price, but they are the best at customer protection in my experience.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE /forum/post/18203842

I'll add a positive for Amazon. At times they are not the lowest price, but they are the best at customer protection in my experience.

Agreed.

I rarely buy anywhere else.

They never screw-up my order or piss me off.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Amazon is insanely fast. I always do an order so I can get free shipping because it's usually just as fast as the more expensive ways. They usually say it will be such and such a date before they ship, but invariably it will ship within 1 or 2 days and I'll have it shortly thereafter. A typical case for me would be to order on Monday and have it by Friday. Don't waste money on super shipping.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I use DeepDiscount or Overstock for DVDs. Never have had any problems. I've purchased from Amazon, but only books. Based on the above, it looks like I will have to try their DVDs also.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
I have used DeepDiscount a lot as well. I once had a problem with one of their orders. I emailed them and they made good on the order. I do find that Amazon is a lot faster with shipping however.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yeah, DeepDiscount measures their ship times in presidential administrations.

I order from either Amazon or Half.com. I've only been burned once on Half.com (broken DVD), and the seller refunded, so I can't complain. Amazon has never let me down (even my HDTV was through them, and the next one probably will be, too.)

·
Registered
90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/18206374

Yeah, DeepDiscount measures their ship times in presidential administrations.

They do take a long time.
I think they like to make one shipment for the entire order. When I order only one item that is readily available it goes out their door pretty fast.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts