AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I am moving into my new flat soon and I have decided to go all out and buy myself a new HDTV.

I want a 37-42inch TV (that is all I have room) for watching TV and movies but also the performance for playing on my PS3, XBOX and WII....

I have been reading up and know about this input lag you guys keep talking about so I really want a low input lag TV that can pack a punch still when watching movies and good scaling for old skool SDTV.

I rang spoke to someone yesterday from directtvs and although he talked down to me as if I knew nothing at all about TVs
he did recommended a Samsung LE40B650T2W. He also said I might want to consider a LED TV like the sharp LC40LE700E.

Are those TVs that guy said any good for what I want or can anyone give me any other models worth considering as I really want to make sure I don't end up dissapointed. Should I look at a Plasma like the G10? or is there a better plasma?

If it helps probably watching movies and TV is more important than the console games but I don't want to be frustrated with any of this lag when I do play on them.

Thanks for any help

Alison x

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
What is your budget? That can be a very big determining factor.

Have you shopped? What are your thoughts on what you've seen? For me Plasma offers the best value at the moment, but I much prefer the wide viewing angle and the smooth motion plasma affords. I also own a good LCD and while I've been able to tame it and make it looks pretty much as I like, the viewing angle is a deal killer for me, mine is relegated to my bedroom where I only watch in one position.

If I was buying plasma today, it would be Panasonic. If I were buying LCD it would be Samsung, or perhaps Sony, certainly not Vizio or Sharp of any of the other second tier companies.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
forget about samsung and sony's if input lag and gaming are major concerns, if you want to see tests done on various model LCD TV's check out the thread i run on these forums on input lag on LCD's

Plasmas typically are better than most LCD's with input lag specifically Panasonic's they perform as good or better than the best LCD TV's (panasonic again and also Sharp's) but you need to take some precautions when using a plasma for gaming because of Image retention and the possibility of permanent burn in if you really abuse a plasma but its not all that bad, as a plasma and LCD owner myself Panasonic's are great and if you do make your plasma get some IR just run the anti-IR scroller panny builds into their TV's overnight after gaming and its gone

for your size needs the best LCD TV for gaming is a Panasonic 37" S1 LCD I own one and use it as my primary PC monitor in my bedroom its got as close to zero lag as possible at about 10ms behind a CRT monitor and close to equal with my 22" LCD PC monitor, it has one major downside with picture quality and that is black level is not that great but this is sort of un-avoidable because pretty much any LCD TV with good blacks has bad to terrible input lag.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies. My budget is hopefully enough to get something decent - anything from 0 to 2000.

Matt L - You mentioned you would buy a panasonic, which model were you thinking of...

Frito - going to look at your other thread hopefully it will help.

Interesting that both of you have conflicting views, one says plasma the other LCD - this is kind of my problem because I really cannot decide.

I saw the samsung b650 in a shop along side some other models and it looked really smooth - but I couldn't test it for gaming and when I did some searches some people complained it had lag and that in Game Mode you only got "standard image" whatever that meant. Does anyone know?

I saw the Sharp LE700 yesterday and the image looked really bright but again from just seeing it in the shop you don't get a feel for how it might be at home.

I would say I am looking for something that is 70% for TV/Movies and 30% gaming - but the problem is when I do play games I don't want to get annoyed with any lag.

With my budget and needs can you recommend any specific models so I can look at them further online and can go pester the chaps at my local store again

Thanks

Alison x

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having thought about it and mesured properly I am not 100% sure I can fit a 42" - I cant wall mount the TV

So now I am looking at 40" or 37" - I really liked the idea of a Plasma so that lag is kept to a minimum but you cant seem to get plasmas under 32".

Now I am really stuck and starting to feel fed up - lol I thought this would be easy.

Any 37" or 40" TV recommendations would be appreciated.

Many thanks

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Too bad. I own a LN40B650 Samsung LCD and while it is a nice product I find my TN42X1 to be a better performer at 1/3 the price I paid for the LCD. In my experience bigger is better, and my other plasma is a 50" that I wish was 58". I thought 50" would be fine but somehow the size shrinks over time...

Get your tape measure out and check your measurements.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol had the tape out and defo only going to get a 37" TV in the space I have

Gutted!!

Can anyone help me? Is the Panasonic LCD 37g10 any good?

Thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts