AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a "70's" style game room, the centerpiece being a crappy old all-in-one stereo system that plays about 700 8-tracks I've got. I also have a nice Runco DLP projector that I've had for about 6 years that I am moving down to the game room.

I have two questions that I need some expertise on.

1. I would watch the Runco down there about 4-5 times a year (mainly sports) and don't want to spend $11/month for another Time Warner cable box. Right now I have an old VCR hooked up to it so that it will allow me to watch cable, but I'm wondering if there is a better solution that would allow me to take advantage of the high-quality video outputs on the Runco (see pics). The Runco does not have a "cable-in", so I need something to go between the projector and the cable line.

2. The old-time crappy stereo system has two RCA inputs for Aux equipment. I actually have two nice (old, of course) speakers connected to this stereo, so I wanted to connect the sound for the cable line to the stereo. So whatever device I would use in place of the old VCR would need a left and right "audio out". Right now the old VCR just has one "video out" and one "audio out".

I know, I know -- get some nice new equipment. But everyone loves the old 8-tracks and we have a good time plugging them into the old stereo. So if I can find a device that will descramble the basic video system (just like plugging the cable directly into a TV, I am not looking to steal anything), provide some good quality video connections, and allow me to use 2 RCA inputs for the audio, I would be ecstatic. I have an old PC and was wondering if there was some way to convert that?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Ok, it's not a high use situation,and you have cable connection there- so why not just temporarily move you existing cable box there for the times you want to use it?

The Runco has DVI and component inputs, so it would look like it can accommodate an HD signal. You can get a DVI to HDMI converter for a few $ at Monoprice and connect an HD cable box easily, or simply use the component connections, which ever your cable box has. You can certainly use the AUX inputs to feed stereo sound to the old unit, is rare not to have audio outs on any cable box.

This is all predicated on you having an HD cable box since you said "Another $11", one other option would be a OTA HD tuner, There are still a few out there, as long as you have access to an antenna it might actually look better than cable. As an alternative you could pop a tuner card into your computer, but odds are the video card would not support the video output you would need, especially if it is older.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Matt, I appreciate the feedback. Is there any way to redirect the HD cable box from another room, like putting a splitter on the cable out line and running one to the downstairs Runco, so that I don't have to physically move it every time? The one I would move would require some serious digging to get it out of the cabinet it is in.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
How do you have your cable box hooked up to your main setup? HDMI I suppose. If so you may be able to run component cables with left and right stereo connections from the cable box to the downstairs setup. I was able to do just that for a Motorola Cable Box with Comcast. All of the outputs are active on the Motorola boxes, not sure about the time warner cable boxes, hopefully it is the same case.

Then the only thing you would need is to be able to control the cable box from downstairs. You can usually find for about 20 bucks X-10 Powemids on ebay that would do the trick. The component cables you can buy at monoprice.com.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
How long of a run are we talking? 50' is certainly feasible, I've used this in the past:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

It is also available in 100' but at that distance there might be some signal loss. The nice thing about these cables is that they are 5 conductor, so everything is there HD video and audio, and in the future if you upgrade the audio you can use one of the audio cables as a coax connection and get dd 5.1 audio.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.